Walking pneumonia. Trent? Anybody? (Read 657 times)

mikeymike

So we've got this in our house now. One of my 4 kids has been confirmed--even though her Ped was pretty sure she had it and prescribed the azitrhomycin before hand. A blood test confirmed the antibodies for whatever bacteria she thought was causing this. The other 3 kids will now be put on the meds (the baby was already on arithromycin (sp?) for a double ear infection and will be put on the other stuff now.) How likely is it that my wife and I have this thing? Do we need antibiotics too? I don't even think I have a PCP anymore and normally take the "ignore it and it will go away" strategy with these things. Will that work in this case? I've had the normal asthmatic cough that I get in the winter and have had some headaches and head cold stuff, but nothing really abnormal for December...

Runners run

Dog-Love

MM: I'm a doctor (not a real one), but ..our family had the same sort of thing last year and I never took antibiotics even though I had green stuff (sorry) lingering for weeks. Kids got better...I was still running...taking them to soccer and my sinuses still hurt all the time especially when I was upside down. So just before I flew to a meeting in AZ I went to the doc to see how to get rid of the crud. By now it had been over a month. He said that a resident population of the bacteria can just linger indefinitely, and although I wasn't horribly sick, I knew I wasn't 100%. So I took the 10 day series of AB and got all the way better!
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't mess around with infections. I've never had one just get better on its own and am not enough of a masochist to want to be miserable for weeks on end. As soon as I get that green gunk that doesn't get better in a few days I make an appt. to see my PCP. 100% of the time I feel almost as good as new in 24-48 hours of starting a course of antibiotics. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Hmm. I don't have no green stuff. At least not yet. That might sway me to see a doc. Step one is I probably should get a PCP. I don't think I've had one in at least 5 years, maybe more.

Runners run

Another Passion

Hmm. I don't have no green stuff. At least not yet. That might sway me to see a doc. Step one is I probably should get a PCP. I don't think I've had one in at least 5 years, maybe more.
            Can't hurt... unless they don a latex glove and tell you to drop your pants and bend over and start singing "Moon River". Shocked

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

mikeymike

Fletch rules!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Uh. A blood test? Really? Uh. Well. Lessee. Got lil idea. Was it Mycoplasma (there is not a good blood test available) or Pertussus (ditto)? I'm confused.

Dog-Love

Who's Fletch? Mycoplasma? PCP? I am really confused...maybe you need a catscan Told you I wasn't a real doctor...any questions about crabs thogh and I can probably help you out.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  mikeymike

Uh. A blood test? Really? Uh. Well. Lessee. Got lil idea. Was it Mycoplasma (there is not a good blood test available) or Pertussus (ditto)? I'm confused.
                    Mycoplasma, from what I understand. You're confused? Try being me. Crabby, THIS is Fletch.

Runners run

Dog-Love

Well that helps...guess I know what song I'll be whistling all night. Thanks
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If mycoplasma, I am not worries about contagion. I am curious as to what the blood test was. Can you ask and share? The antibody test is an odd one to rely on. The reason is that one antibody test takes about 10 days to turn positive and the other takes about 3-6 weeks to turn positive. So a positive test today suggests that the disease is not mycoplasma and that the positive mycoplasma test was from some infection ages ago. Azithromycin is the right choice for mycoplasma.
                        mikeymike

I'll ask, though my wife's the one who usually goes to the doc. My 8 y.o. had symptoms for ~ 10-14 days and the doc did mention that the timing was right for the antibody test. And apparently there have been a lot of cases of this recently, which is why she wanted the test. Interesting.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

10-14 days then makes a bit of sense, but I would still be curious to know exactly what was tested and what the results were. Feel free to email it to me.