Marathon "selfies" causing injuries (Read 418 times)

Feeling the growl again

It would be interesting for details on how many people got hurt.  A little situational awareness would go a long way.

Link

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

No handheld ceelphones while driving, and no handheld cellphones while running!  Big grin

Runners run

northernman

Fight The Future

Have never seen that in a race.

I did almost get run over by a buck during the WhistleStop marathon one year. (The deer kind, not the legal tender sort)

No talking/drinking/looking around while running either, we all know all those activities are distracting from the intense concentration needed to run.

Arimathea

Tessa

I've seen someone lose a cell phone down a ravine whilst trying to take a picture of himself and post it to Facebook during a race. Said ravine was steep and filled with poison oak. I think he gave his iPhone up for lost.

I may or may not have chortled quietly as I continued running.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Isn't it hard to make a duckface while running at pace?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Wing

Joggaholic

That particular issue was exacerbated by casual revelers signing up for the race, and not seeding themselves in the right place. This is what happens when you try to sell a race event as a carnival. That marathon actually is 3 races 10k/half/full at the same time, so the ratio of partiers-vs-serious-runners is kind of high. I don't think anyone actually got hurt but a lot of runners got very pissed off.

During my last race, I took a few selfies along the way.  I signed up for the race 2 days earlier while on vacation, and I ran it in honor of my friend.

I shared my pictures and videos with his wife, and it was quite a memorable race for me (and also for her).

The truth, though, is that it was very humid, and eventually started raining hard, so my picture taking stopped after about 45 minutes, and before the time when it would've been handy to have (due to some other events that happened during the race and detailed within another thread).  Many of the photos and video's turned out blurry.

Normally, I don't take photo's or videos during a race or a run.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not only the selfie-takers who are a danger...it's the idiots with headphones during open-course du/tri events who are a serious threat to everyone's safety, and not just on the road.  I nearly slammed into a dope kid strolling casually through a crowded transition area with the volume cranked high on his earbuds, so he was completely oblivious to his surroundings (and clearly not understanding that transition is still on the clock and not a chance to take a breather mid-race).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

During my last race, I took a few selfies along the way.  I signed up for the race 2 days earlier while on vacation, and I ran it in honor of my friend.

I shared my pictures and videos with his wife, and it was quite a memorable race for me (and also for her).

The truth, though, is that it was very humid, and eventually started raining hard, so my picture taking stopped after about 45 minutes, and before the time when it would've been handy to have (due to some other events that happened during the race and detailed within another thread).  Many of the photos and video's turned out blurry.

Normally, I don't take photo's or videos during a race or a run.

I'm sure you were smart and considerate enough to make sure you weren't impeding anyone or stopping dead in the middle of the course though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Yes, I was smart and considerate. All images were blurry because I was running. The beautiful course and beautiful scenery I was trying to capture were ruined because I was smart and considerate.

I'm sure you were smart and considerate enough to make sure you weren't impeding anyone or stopping dead in the middle of the course though.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Yes, I was smart and considerate. All images were blurry because I was running. The beautiful course and beautiful scenery I was trying to capture were ruined because I was smart and considerate.

Sometimes karma doesn't quite work out the way it's supposed to. Sad

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

In training for my first marathon so I can't speak from experience, but I don't think I'd want to carry a bulky and heavy smart phone on a marathon. Too much of a pain. Reminds my of that Jim Carrey comedy movie where they do jogging photography.

It would be interesting for details on how many people got hurt.  A little situational awareness would go a long way.

Link

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

What happened to actually racing?

Feeling the growl again

What happened to actually racing?

Competitor Group bought them all and turned them into "events".  Get with the times....races make people feel bad because everybody but one person loses.

Wink