Why isn't there a thread for the Olympics yet? (Read 373 times)

The dutch skaters are amazing.  They're currently leading the overall medal count (17) with all of their medals coming in speed skating (counting short track as speed skating too).

-no ski's

-no flips

-no ice dancing

Just all out racing with skates on their feet.  Cool stuff.

I'm a 100% dutch guy who lives in the USA but was born in Canada.

47 medals between those 3 countries with all of them in the top 4 in medal count.

Wow!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

the Swiss are on track for Gold in both the men's and women's Funniest Surname events:

luca

samantha

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

running metalhead

I wouldn't watch them if they were the summer Olympics where there are sports that actually concern me.

There's too much wrong to feel comfortable watching Putin's little circus: Oppression against homosexuals, oppression of any critical voice, culling of street dogs, corruption and very probably a mayor environmental disaster AND a very suspicious election of the location as Sotji has subtropical climate so that it is very far from being a winter sport resort. I sense the smell of corruption and it wouldn't be a surprise knowing the history of the Olympic Committee.

I am actually quite surprised by the good reception this winter Olympics are receiving  since these aren't the BIG THING, the Summer Games, but just a secondary spin-off filled to the brim with stuff nobody cares about like curling, snowboarding and other stuff only us Dutch care like speed skating.

I would wish nobody would watch this stupid circus, and we don't even have a Gay / Lesbian Jesse Owens this time, only a bunch of athletes devoid of any ethics.

Thank you very much Mr Putin, shove your games where they best fit.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

mikeymike

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

where there are sports that actually concern me.

filled to the brim with stuff nobody cares about 

You seem bothered that the Olympics are not based upon your personal preferences.

Is this how sports works?  Because I would like to demand an immediate end to soccer worldwide. I can't believe that a game that bores me is allowed to exist.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Still kicking

I've been enjoying every minute of the olympics I can watch. The Dutch skaters are awesome. The downhill snowboarding is awesome. I grew up in Michigan, and loved winter and winter sports better than anything the summer had to offer as a kid. The back pond on our farm saw hundreds of hockey games and races. As for the political stuff, I'm not going to let it interfere with my support for the athletes. They don't deserve that. The figure skaters seem to be crashing more than ever these games. It's also been interesting watching our ringers get their butts kicked. It's great to see smaller countries on the podium.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

sugnim

I would wish nobody would watch this stupid circus, and we don't even have a Gay / Lesbian Jesse Owens this time, only a bunch of athletes devoid of any ethics.

Thank you very much Mr Putin, shove your games where they best fit.

As a member of the gay community, I understand your anger.  But, the Olympics are actually helping to spotlight some of the injustices under the Putin regime.  If the Olympics were not held there, the rest of the world might not have noticed the way that the Russian government is treating gay people.  But right now, everyone is watching & talking, which is a good thing.  Also, I think it's a bit harsh to say that the athletes are devoid of ethics--they are doing their job and following their passion, gay or straight.  It would be a waste to let Putin diminish all of their hard work and training.

Kalsarikännit

I wouldn't watch them if they were the summer Olympics where there are sports that actually concern me.

There's too much wrong to feel comfortable watching Putin's little circus: Oppression against homosexuals, oppression of any critical voice, culling of street dogs, corruption and very probably a mayor environmental disaster AND a very suspicious election of the location

bunch of athletes devoid of any ethics.

Looks like you are going to miss out in 2016 as well.

Brazil's head of the Commission for Human Rights and Minorities referred to AIDS as a "gay cancer". Also, a Brazilian congressional human rights committee approved legislation that would allow psychologists to treat homosexuality as a disorder or pathology.  (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/06/18/brazil-gay-disorder/2436499/)

Families in Rio's slums are being evicted from their homes to build new stadiums. (http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/world/americas/brazil-faces-obstacles-in-preparations-for-rio-olympics.html?pagewanted=all)

Rio doesn't have to worry about becoming an environmental disaster. It already is. (This is a fun one. Be sure to click on it if you enjoy water sports. http://m.si.com/3630154/rio-olympic-waterways-full-of-trash-raw-sewage/)

And most importantly, dogs? I am genuinely terrified that CHILDREN on the streets of Rio are going to be "cleaned up". I have zero reason to believe that this isn't going to become a major issue as the Summer Olympics gets closer. (More fun reading for the bored. http://www.stephenbrookes.com/international/2006/4/18/the-murder-of-rios-street-kids.html)

I'm sorry you will miss the Summer Olympics. I will still be watching and supporting the athletes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Menace to Sobriety

Let's say someone showed up for their figure skating event wearing athletic clothing rather than a sequined outfit, same skates and skated the same type/style of routine  -- the only change being not wearing a designed outfit and 3.2 pounds of makeup. Would their score be lower because of the clothing they chose to (not) wear?

What?? What do you have against lingerie and military outfits from banana republics?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

"We're sorry, the country you've tried to reach is watching hockey.  Please try again after the game".

Great game going on right now.

Canada - USA, Men's Hockey.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"We're sorry, the country you've tried to reach is watching hockey.  Please try again after the game".

Canada scored in the first two minutes.  The remaining 58 minutes were for naught.  It could have been a sudden death playoff from the beginning and saved everybody a lot of trouble. Smile

MM #7877

Canada scored in the first two minutes.  The remaining 58 minutes were for naught.  It could have been a sudden death playoff from the beginning and saved everybody a lot of trouble. Smile

Canada scored in the first 2 minutes of period 2.

Philippians 4:13.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Canada scored in the first 2 minutes of period 2.

Oh, woops.

keeponrunning

I saw that comment on Crackbook, and it is the most accurate thing I've heard all year!  Canada pretty much shuts down during hockey games, especially when we're playing the USA.  (usually friendly neighbour rivalry)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both the women and men play, and am really looking forward to the gold medal game on Sunday.  That said, I'm glad there is no hockey tomorrow, my nerves couldn't handle it!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

MM #7877

Despite being an American, I am rooting for Teemu Selänne to pick up a bronze.  Heck, with this being a professional tournament, I couldnt care less about the USofA. I was rooting for my Blue Jackets on the Russian team.

Philippians 4:13.