Need a favor from someone with the Hansons book on-hand... (Read 106 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Today is the day I do the "ladder" speedwork session right after work.  I forgot to look up my target pace before I left, and don't have the book here with me.  Could someone look up the paces for someone with a goal marathon time of 3:30, please?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

npaden

Are you using your actual 5K or 10K pace from a recent race or just the one that it gives as an equivalent for the 3:30 marathon?

The 3:30 Marathon Goal shows the 10K speed as 7:21 and the 5K speed as 7:03.

They calculate out the times in the pace charts, but they are simply a result of mathing out the target pace times the distance you are going to run.

They show 21:30 5K Goal as 400m = 1:45; 800m = 3:29; 1200m = 5:12; 1600m = 7:00.

For the 22:00 5K Goal the numbers are 400m = 1:48; 800m = 3:34; 1200m = 4:20 and 1600m = 7:10.

Have fun, I'm supposed to do my ladder session on Tuesday.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks so much!  I'm going by my goal marathon time, since it's been some time and a lot of training since my last 10K or 5K.

You know, something I'm not clear on with this book...it lists the paces for 5K goal and 10K goal, and that's fine...I don't understand which we should be using for speed sessions.  It's probably in there somewhere, but I either glossed over it, or it's explained in one of the appendices, which I haven't gotten to yet.

Anyway, enjoy your ladder session, too!  I'm actually a little apprehensive about this one.  Sounds like we're on the same week in the plan (I bumped the weekdays up by one - fits my schedule better).  Where is your race?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Does the Hanson book really advocate training at goal pace insted of current capability? What if your goal pace is is no where near your current capability? Seems like a good way to get sick, injured, or both.

npaden

Thanks so much!  I'm going by my goal marathon time, since it's been some time and a lot of training since my last 10K or 5K.

You know, something I'm not clear on with this book...it lists the paces for 5K goal and 10K goal, and that's fine...I don't understand which we should be using for speed sessions.  It's probably in there somewhere, but I either glossed over it, or it's explained in one of the appendices, which I haven't gotten to yet.

Anyway, enjoy your ladder session, too!  I'm actually a little apprehensive about this one.  Sounds like we're on the same week in the plan (I bumped the weekdays up by one - fits my schedule better).  Where is your race?

It's up to you on what pace you use.  Somewhere in there it talks about recommending beginners to use their 10K pace instead of their 5K pace.  For me personally my PR 5K from back in October is faster than the 5K Speed equivalent from the chart going off of my goal Marathon Time (3:50), so I'm spliting the difference and using a pace that falls between my actual 5K pace and the equivalent off the goal marathon pace.  I think the key is just getting up into the anerobic zone and keeping it there for a while.

My marathon is May 5th.  I setup my training plan before I got my book based on some of the articles I'd read, and thought I went back and got them all sorted out, but I think I might be off a week on the intervals.  Only interval I've struggled with so far was the 5 x 1000m for some reason.  Not sure if it was just a bad day or what, and I finished it, but my times were a bit slower than they should have been.  The 4 X 1200m last week seemed like a breeze compared to the 5 X 1000m.  So far my MP Tempo runs have felt really good, my biggest problem is not running them too fast because I feel like I have so much left at the end, but I've been trying to stick to the pace.  I go up to 7 miles at MP this week so maybe that will feel a little tougher, but I'm not sure.  So far I'm really enjoying the plan.

EDIT - I went back and looked at my log and it was the 5 X 1000m inteval workout that I struggled with, not the 6 X 800m that I had thought originally so I corrected it above.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

Does the Hanson book really advocate training at goal pace insted of current capability? What if your goal pace is is no where near your current capability? Seems like a good way to get sick, injured, or both.

They discuss setting a realistic goal in the book.  Several pages on it.  They also recommend doing the speed work based on a recent 5K or 10K race instead of going based on the equivalent chart.  They do set your Marathon Pace Tempo run and your Long Run pace based on your goal marathon though.