Wouldn't it be nice if your doctor was a runner... (Read 968 times)

You also need to figure out what is causing the problem. Bad shoes? Over training? Lack of strength or flexibility
    I'll tell you an experience I had around Christmas time. I thought i had developed Achilles Tendonitis. I would come in to the little home office after a run and put my feet up on the desk while reading the stuff on this board. After a few weeks I noticed the back of my ankle was getting sorer and sorer. Long story short- it was the act of putting my feet on the desk without any cushioning that was causing the problem. When i got an ottoman and used a pillow the tightness went away. Hopefully your problem can be solved as easily.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

Ignoring most of this thread..... I have had problems with doctors and physical therapists who are actively anti-running. Those I do avoid. I dont insist my doctor be a runner, but if I get strong anti-running vibes, I do start to distrust them and go elsewhere. If it seems like all the answers are along the lines of "running is bad for you" then I figure they dont know jack and/or are unable to put personal prejudices aside and I wouldnt trust them to treat my strep throat. The doctor who told me that I would never again be able to run, do high impact aerobics or weight training, sit in a soft chair or couch, sleep on a soft mattress or drive a stick shift....that doctor I ran screaming from. I was 26. I had pain in my lowback/hip area. Never did get it diagnosed properly but I still manage to do all those things 11 years later. My hip only hurts when I dont run for awhile.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7