His pop caught him smoking and he said NO WAY (Read 1078 times)

lagwagon

Good times gone but you feed it 
    Hate's grown strong you feel you need it 
    Just one thing do you know 
    What you think that the world owes you 

What's gonna set you free 
    Look inside and you'll see 
    When you've got so much to say 
    It's called gratitude and that's right

RIP

mikeymike

Lexington field house?  As in 'shot heard round the world' Lexington?  I went to 6,7th & 8th grade in Bedford - good memories.  That was probably 73, 74 & 75 so, yeah, we probablly didn't run into each other!  I bought Licensed to Ill when it came out and I was already an old fart.

Yep, I didn't live in Lex but all of our league's indoor meets were held at that D shaped, 11-laps to the mile track.

Runners run

vegefrog

If anyone cares....MTV is actually doing a pretty good memorial type thingy right now. Playing music and videos and clips of the Beasties.

I took a look, hoping they would be doing something other then playing 16 and preggers or Jersey Shore and they suprised me by actually having a well put together memorial show for MCA.

xor

I hate to say this, but that usually implies they did some pre-work and had many aspects of it ready to go.

Cancer sucks.

Everyone's heard of Yauch because he's a Beastie Boy. Everyone that grew up in the 80's or 90's owns a Beasties album. Even if you weren't that into hip-hop you owned a Beasties disk because they were cool as hell, and increased the odds of picking up the ladies. Sad for the guy and his family. Sad for Mike D and Ad-Rock. A sad milestone for the rest of us that time creeps by and nobody gets out alive.

...Now my name is MCA, I've got a license to kill

I think you know what time it is, It's time to get ill..

Best Present Ever

Everyone's heard of Yauch because he's a Beastie Boy. Everyone that grew up in the 80's or 90's owns a Beasties album. Even if you weren't that into hip-hop you owned a Beasties disk because they were cool as hell, and increased the odds of picking up the ladies. Sad for the guy and his family. Sad for Mike D and Ad-Rock. A sad milestone for the rest of us that time creeps by and nobody gets out alive.

...Now my name is MCA, I've got a license to kill

I think you know what time it is, It's time to get ill..

I don't know about everybody. I was born in 1965 and have heard of the Beastie Boys but couldn't recognize a single song or name a band member. However, I also live in Charlottesville, home of the Dave Matthews Band and seem to be the only person who doesn't recognize Dave or the music. I do know who some of the other (carter beauford and boys Tinsley) are, though, only because they live here.

an amazing likeness

Like Mammaofthree I was a bit cluelss, but lordy...after heading off to google and wikipedia...learned I was way more clueless than I imagined...

- the singer I thought was Beastie Boys is actually some dude called Enimem...turns out Enimem is not a group...the singer I thought was Enimem is actually Maryln Manson...the Beastie Boys are new to me...

I'm really laughing at myself here... Roll eyes

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the singer I thought was Beastie Boys is actually some dude called Enimem...turns out Enimem is not a group...the singer I thought was Enimem is actually Maryln Manson...the Beastie Boys are new to me...

So. Awesome.

Fabulous!

xor

I realize not everyone would know them nor have an album... but lots of us did/do. and even those who don't... if you are between 35 and 55 there is probably one song of theirs you know. even if you dont know who it is making the noises.

bhearn

if you are between 35 and 55 there is probably one song of theirs you know. even if you dont know who it is making the noises.

"Licensed to Ill," one of the early full-lengths released by influential hip-hop label Def Jam Records, is often referred to as the first rap album to hit No. 1 on the Billboard albums chart. ...

I'm not particularly a rap enthusiast, but I have several Beastie Boys albums. Anyone who wouldn't recognize "FIght For Your Right (to Party)" has never listened to the radio.

mikeymike

They had four number ones and sold 40 million records.

Runners run

Tiefsa

This is too bad.  The Beasties are my favorite band.

I own eight of their CD's.

After college was over, they were the only group I actually still kept buying when they released a new record.

"So like a pimp I'm pimpin, I got a boat to eat shrimp in. Nothing wrong with my leg I'm just B-boy limpin'"

- MCA

"Got arrested at the Mardi Gra' for Jumpin on a Float - My Man MCA's got a beard like a Billy Goat"

-Ad Rock

Julia1971

He made it safe for white folks to rap.

My second favorite post of the year.  (I can't wait to go to Maine in my Boston jacket).

I wasn't a fan as a teenager.  I liked the mopey stuff - like The Smiths.  But I'll download some songs.  Cancer sucks.  Not letting people party also sucks.

ETA:  Intergalactic has a running reference.  "I run the marathon to the very last mile".

- the singer I thought was Beastie Boys is actually some dude called Enimem...turns out Enimem is not a group...the singer I thought was Enimem is actually Maryln Manson...the Beastie Boys are new to me...

All of this is pretty much gold. It's like pop-culture twister.

I'd add that there are a lot of artists that just rap. Eminem is a rapper. The Beastie Boys created their own sub-niche of hip hop style. I'm not some massive fanboy but the band really was a cultural touchstone. It's sad that they won't be back in the recording studio again. Such is life and growing older. Cancer can stick it.

Just makes me feel old.

Who doesn't know the Beastie Boys? 

- Anya