Moderators/Ignore Functions (Read 924 times)

Why is it sideways?

Can I get this term trademarked? Wink
    Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
    JakeKnight

Jake, I think you have too much faith in people. But, I'm feeling a bit jaded today. Smile I just stepped down as a moderator on a site that now has over 700,000 registered users and I have little faith left in people. But, it would be lovely to not have this board be like every other one on the internet. I've no doubt I've contributed to the corruption of this board because I'm used to all the others, and for that I am sorry. So the question is, do you work to maintain something that is difficult to maintain, or do you lower your expectations? I think the first is the better option, even for a cynical biddy like me. (Am I old enough to be a biddy? Wink )
      (shrug) I have enormous faith in people. And have zero faith in people on the Internet. My whole point is mostly selfish: I missed this place. It makes my running more fun. And this is now the only, and I mean only, place I visit on the World Wide Trenternet. Well, not counting Jessica Alba's fan club. So keeping it special is sort of a selfish thing for me. And I'll just never understand why, when there are literally millions (billions?) of places to go to engage in the usual sophomoric, childish, one-dimensional, shallow, useless, ill-informed arguments about the very same handful of controversial topics .... why they have to do it here. I just don't get it. The irony that kills me is that this place represents that theoretical thing a lot of people claim to look for: real diversity. The real kind. People from all walks of life here, every race and religion and political persuasion, all sharing one common interest. That's supposed to be a good thing. It's supposed to be the ideal. So why screw with it? (double shrug) It's probably hopeless. If it gets bad, I'll just retreat to the swamp and talk about boobs. Or just leave. Its just the Trenternet. The only reason I brought it up now is because in six months it'll be too late to even try. It got ugly before I left. It got uglier yesterday. So I thought I'd mention it. As a moderator of a big site, I'm sure you've seen it all. It just, well, sucks.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

pandajenn19

I think it would be great to have this not be like every other board, I really do. And I think it's great that there are good people here that want to make/keep it that way. I hugely agree with the sentiment that people are generally good, but internet people not so much. Sometimes internet people can amaze you with how wonderful they are. But it seems too often they disappoint with how base they can be. I hate any time I've been a part of that. Anything we can do to help RA be more amazing than base, I'm all for.
        eric :)

JK, I thought I'm the moderator for the general boards, and you guys moderate the groups. Are you saying I'm not doing my job? Black eye I'm an idealist when it comes to forums. I believe that self regulation would work if the old timers set the tone for the new comers. Most of us are smart enough to spot the trouble makers. You did an awesome job by asking everyone not to respond to a hostile post while diffusing the tension at the same time. I like what you said about staying this time to fight the nonsense. This place is special because we make it so. It doesn't have to get ugly if the active members discourage the non-sense that causes the downward spiral. There is no one solution that will keep everyone behaving properly. Should the time comes, I'll figure something out. For now I'm keeping an eye out on it. If you see anything that is inappropriate, drop me a note and I'll step in. I don't read all the threads anymore and my company actually expects me to work. Roll eyes
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The irony that kills me is that this place represents that theoretical thing a lot of people claim to look for: real diversity. The real kind. People from all walks of life here, every race and religion and political persuasion, all sharing one common interest.
            Kumbaya... I'm with ya', though...right down to this being about the only place left that I spend any appreciable time at on the Trenternet®. Don't you dare leave again...did needs to have someone more ape-like than him so that he can feel less hairy.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For now I'm keeping an eye out on it. If you see anything that is inappropriate, drop me a note and I'll step in. I don't read all the threads anymore and my company actually expects me to work. Roll eyes
              Hmmm...if you let us pay some sort of membership dues you could quit your job and make managing this part of the Trenternet® your full-time job. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

JK, I thought I'm the moderator for the general boards, and you guys moderate the groups. Are you saying I'm not doing my job? Black eye .... I don't read all the threads anymore and my company actually expects me to work. Roll eyes
                You're doing a peachy job ... but your little creation here is growing fast. Nobody can read all the threads now, especially not you ... since you're presumably working on other stuff for the site, on top of your real life. It wasn't that long ago you could check in once a day, read everything, and come back the next day. Now I don't even read every thread in the 2000 swamp because its so busy. And your success is just going to breed more success, and this place is going to keep getting bigger. And obviously you've attracted a few real trolls who probably don't even run, people just here to stir the pot. I don't know what the solution to the usual message board psychosis is. Maybe there isn't one. Especially not when the ugliness pops up on in the most random places, like threads about puppy dogs, of all things. I may not know how to fix it, but I have seen this show before. There's a pattern, and it always starts with a few comments like that stupid one yesterday. All it takes is one thing like that to start a flame war, people take sides, people start holding grudges, the next thing you know its political or racial or whatever and half the board hates the other half ... I've seen it. It sucks. Like I said, I just thought I'd bring it up sooner rather than later. Once you actually have to do do something about it, it'll be too late. I mostly blame Trent. He didn't plan this cyberspace thing very thoroughly.

JakeKnight

Hmmm...if you let us pay some sort of membership dues you could quit your job and make managing this part of the Trenternet® your full-time job. Big grin
                  Not that I'm hugely in favor of membership fees (unless I'm exempted, of course) ... but there might be some advantages. Besides making Eric independently wealthy, it might also keep trolls away and give people a financial incentive to keep this place cool.

eric :)

A year ago I came up with this crazy complicated scheme that might help self regulate the forums but someone (you know who you are) shot it down saying it is not needed. I need to dig that emai up to see if it would actually work. I need to revamp the forum code anyway to make it easier to use, but not before I'm done with the log upgrade, GPS and all that good stuff. JK, the next time you think about leaving this place, drop me an email first so I can have a chance to fix things. I know you want me to fix the forums now, but I can only work on one big project at a time. If only I can work on this full time, I can give 'em commercial sites a run for their money.
                    JakeKnight

JK, the next time you think about leaving this place, drop me an email first so I can have a chance to fix things. I know you want me to fix the forums now, but I can only work on one big project at a time. If only I can work on this full time, I can give 'em commercial sites a run for their money.
                      I'm not going anywhere. And no rush. Just thought it was worth pointing out before it became a real problem. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive here.* * If you read every thread, that line would be funny.

Wingz

Professional Noob

A year ago I came up with this crazy complicated scheme that might help self regulate the forums but someone (you know who you are) shot it down saying it is not needed. I need to dig that emai up to see if it would actually work. I need to revamp the forum code anyway to make it easier to use, but not before I'm done with the log upgrade, GPS and all that good stuff. JK, the next time you think about leaving this place, drop me an email first so I can have a chance to fix things. I know you want me to fix the forums now, but I can only work on one big project at a time. If only I can work on this full time, I can give 'em commercial sites a run for their money.
                        Hey, a year ago things were a lot smaller and what you were talking about was overkill. Now, you're a victim of your own success... Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now, you're a victim of your own success... Tongue
                          Britney, Amy Winehouse...Eric. Wink

~ Sarah Kay