The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

I see.  Thanks.  The more I think about the movie, the more I'm really "that was ok, but NOT the shiz" about it.  I really should read the book.

Let me know when it is appropriate to ask my bigger not-really-a-spoiler-but-kinda question.

YW.

I really enjoyed the book and I enjoyed the movie  but like you said it's  NOT the shiz  at least for me.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Let me know when it is appropriate to ask my bigger not-really-a-spoiler-but-kinda question.

I'm cool with now.  I already know how it ends.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

YW.

I really enjoyed the book and I enjoyed the movie  but like you said it's  NOT the shiz  at least for me.  

I think I would have liked the movie less had I not read the books and had a lot of the little details not explained or fleshed-out.

SRL, ask away.  I'd think that this far into the thread you're going to mostly have the attention of those who have read the entire series.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Okey doke.  So, there's the scene where the small girl dies.  Sad stuff.

Then, our hero makes a run for the Frank Ghery-inspired cornucopia (it looks like the Experience Music Project) for some goodies.

A skirmish ensues.

She is saved by the big black dude.  Who then exclaims that it is a one-time deal, "for (small girl's name)", and vanishes.  The idea being that he just did her a favor because she was kind to the small girl.

Ok, now, waitaminute.

He's a contestant in the game.  Who, aside from the very first scattering, we have not seen in the forest... implying that he's just out there doing this-or-that, but nothing of importance to the plot.  It has also, I think, been implied that the small girl was taking care of herself... kind of like the little girl in Aliens... (and then our hero, and then allied with our hero).

SO.... how the hell did the big black dude know that our hero had been kind to the small girl?? He was not watching at home.  He was in the freaking forest.

Hmm, good question. Not explained AFAIK, unless we are to assume he was secretly watching over Rue because she was from his district. I thought you were going to ask about the ensuing rioting in district 11 which in the books doesn't happen until much later.

Runners run

Okey doke.  So, there's the scene where the small girl dies.  Sad stuff.

Then, our hero makes a run for the Frank Ghery-inspired cornucopia (it looks like the Experience Music Project) for some goodies.

A skirmish ensues.

She is saved by the big black dude.  Who then exclaims that it is a one-time deal, "for (small girl's name)", and vanishes.  The idea being that he just did her a favor because she was kind to the small girl.

Ok, now, waitaminute.

He's a contestant in the game.  Who, aside from the very first scattering, we have not seen in the forest... implying that he's just out there doing this-or-that, but nothing of importance to the plot.  It has also, I think, been implied that the small girl was taking care of herself... kind of like the little girl in Aliens... (and then our hero, and then allied with our hero).

SO.... how the hell did the big black dude know that our hero had been kind to the small girl?? He was not watching at home.  He was in the freaking forest.

That guy was the boy from the little girls  district. He over heard Clove threatning Katniss and taunting her about Rue's death. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

xor

Hmm, good question. Not explained AFAIK, unless we are to assume he was secretly watching over Rue because she was from his district. I thought you were going to ask about the ensuing rioting in district 11 which in the books doesn't happen until much later.

Nah.  See, from the perspective of a person who did not read the books, that kind of seemed ok.  Maybe over-the-top, but sure... they've been oppressed, there has to be a "something" to make the overlords rig the game, and I was fine with that.  After the movie, I heard people telling each other "that wasn't in the book!"  Okey doke.

(Tom Bombadil didn't make it into The Fellowship of the Ring and people who had never read the books did not care whatsoever, with great earnestness)

xor

That guy was the boy from the little girls  district They showed what Katnis did with the flowers to the little girl  Above for all to see I believe. I don't believe they showed that in the film.  

Si.  I understood he was from district 11, and my question aside, I totally got why he did the one-time favor.  But no, they didn't show us that he had seen that footage.  Which, based on what they showed us in the movie, I would not have expected... they didn't really make it clear that there was video for contestants, at least not at that point.   It was a big WTF to me that he knew what he knew... unless he had been stalking the girl.  And... well, if that had been true, he'd have been all over getting her out of the net or at least in the fight and aftermath of her death.

(end of overthink.  Mostly it just felt like a 'miss' by the screenplay adapters. It was probably better 'splained in the book)

Nah.  See, from the perspective of a person who did not read the books, that kind of seemed ok.  Maybe over-the-top, but sure... they've been oppressed, there has to be a "something" to make the overlords rig the game, and I was fine with that.  After the movie, I heard people telling each other "that wasn't in the book!"  Okey doke.

(Tom Bombadil didn't make it into The Fellowship of the Ring and people who had never read the books did not care whatsoever, with great earnestness)

If you had read all 3 books everything in the movie made sense. If you only had read the first book I can see where people would be like "that wasn't in the book"  

Si.  I understood he was from district 11, and my question aside, I totally got why he did the one-time favor.  But no, they didn't show us that he had seen that footage.  Which, based on what they showed us in the movie, I would not have expected... they didn't really make it clear that there was video for contestants, at least not at that point.   It was a big WTF to me that he knew what he knew... unless he had been stalking the girl.  And... well, if that had been true, he'd have been all over getting her out of the net or at least in the fight and aftermath of her death.

(end of overthink.  Mostly it just felt like a 'miss' by the screenplay adapters. It was probably better 'splained in the book)

yes it was much better 'splained in the book

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So Gary Ross is officially NOT directing the next movie...which I don't feel strongly about, either way.  I think he did a good job.  I think other directors could do a good job, too.

What kinda gets me is how they are intending to have Catching Fire scripted, cast, and filmed all by Jan...because JL starts filming the next X-Men movie, then.  I think Lionsgate seriously needs to push back the release date.  They only get one chance to do justice to the 2nd book, which in some ways I liked better than the first.  I can't wait to see who is cast as Finnick, for one.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

born on the bayou

Not to bring it back up, but that's not actually what happened in the book (or the movie).  None of  tributes can see the footage of the Games (in the book, the story even mentions that seeing the kills may give competitors an unfair advantage).  The reason Thresh (the huge District 11 guy) knows about the friendship between Katniss and Rue is because he is standing behind the skirmish between Katniss and crazy-knife-girl, and CKG is going on and on about how they (the careers) killed Rue, and Katniss couldn't protect her, even though she tried, blah blah blah.  So Thresh overhears that, and that's what triggers him to off CKG and do Katniss a solid by sparing her just that one time.

/Nerd!  Actually, I just finished the first book and movie, so it's all freshly nestled in my brain.

- Amanda
                          xor

I don't recall that in the movie. At all.  I don't remember knife girl having any lines.  She'd just enter from the left and exit to the right, woo loo loo.

Maybe I missed something.

Not to bring it back up, but that's not actually what happened in the book (or the movie).  None of  tributes can see the footage of the Games (in the book, the story even mentions that seeing the kills may give competitors an unfair advantage).  The reason Thresh (the huge District 11 guy) knows about the friendship between Katniss and Rue is because he is standing behind the skirmish between Katniss and crazy-knife-girl, and CKG is going on and on about how they (the careers) killed Rue, and Katniss couldn't protect her, even though she tried, blah blah blah.  So Thresh overhears that, and that's what triggers him to off CKG and do Katniss a solid by sparing her just that one time.

/Nerd!  Actually, I just finished the first book and movie, so it's all freshly nestled in my brain.

I actually corrected my comment a few minutes after posting it  since I realized I was confusing something. I think SRL posted while I was doing my editing

I don't recall that in the movie. At all.  I don't remember knife girl having any lines.  She'd just enter from the left and exit to the right, woo loo loo.

Maybe I missed something.

They totally left it out of the movie, you aren't missing anything