Rotator cuff / should injury (Read 1500 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I had these same symptoms and folks were having trouble diagnosing it. I do like the common name: "Frozen Shoulder" (adhesive capsulitis is the geeky name Trent already touched on that)). I chose the Mayo Cliniclink over the Wikipedia one http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/frozen-shoulder/DS00416

There was severe pain while it was occurring and it kept limiting the range of motion. Extensive PT for 3 months, loosened everything up. Something I found interesting is that once it occurs, jury is still out on why some are affected, that is almost never recurs in the same shoulder. I am at 100% range of motion now. At it's height I had only about 25% of motion.

It was a thrill when someone threw something at you and you flinched to try and catch it. There were times I was knocked to the ground with pain.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

seanster

ME

Don't know much about shoulder surgery, but in general can it be done as an outpatient?  I will get a diagnosis soon.   Just concerned about cost as my health plan is a HDHP.  Confused

Mine was outpatient, I was home by 10 in the morning...  and in one of the great mysteries of medical insurance, my MRI cost more than the surgery and PT combined. 

§ SIGNATURE§

Cool Jump Suit

Mine was outpatient, I was home by 10 in the morning...  and in one of the great mysteries of medical insurance, my MRI cost more than the surgery and PT combined. 

That figures.   Trent's right though, I do need a diagnosis and then I will go from there.  .......home by 10am....NICE!  Big grin

So bittersweet,
        This tragedy
        Won't ask for absolution;
        This melody,
        Inside of me,
        Still searches for solution.
        A twist of faith,
        A change of heart
        Cures my infatuation.
        A broken heart, 
        Provides the spark
        For my determination.

Cool Jump Suit

Broke down and went to the doc.  I have a shoulder impingement.  I can't rotate internally without pain.  He gave me a lot of the same exercises people mentioned in this thread.  However, a couple of them hurt.  I am starting to use ice for basically the first time in my life.  It actually helps, who knew?  If the exercises don't help in the next 6 wks we talked about a cortisone shot and other further measure.  I just want the pain to be over.

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

Tiefsa

I have something wrong with my shoulder too from playing baseball.  I used to coach a H.S. team and hurt it throwing way too much batting practice.  There is something torn in their according to the MRI, but the nice thing is if I don't try to throw hard, it doesn't hurt.

I had a cortisone shot the year I messed it up, and I was able to get through the rest of the season.  That shot hurt super bad though.  It felt like someone reached inside my shoulder and set it on fire.  

The bright side for me is I don't have to have surgery, and it doesn't hurt for everyday activities.  The only time it really gives me tons of pain is if I throw hard.  If I ever want to be able to throw a baseball hard again, I have to have surgery, or get a cortisone shot and tough it out for the summer.

Cool Jump Suit

I had a cortisone shot the year I messed it up, and I was able to get through the rest of the season.  That shot hurt super bad though.  It felt like someone reached inside my shoulder and set it on fire.  

If I don't get relief, my doc gonna do a cortisone shot.  So you mean the shot itself hurt?  Was the immediate relief after the initial penetration, er insertion,.......did your shoulder feel better right away?

So bittersweet,
              This tragedy
              This melody,
              Inside of me,
              A twist of faith,
              A change of heart
              Cures my infatuation.
              A broken heart, 
              Provides the spark
              For my determination.

Marylander

The injection will be uncomfortable for a day or two (just like when you've got a bunch of swelling, since that's essentially what it is). After that it just gets better day to day. I thought it was great (I've had injections for rc impingement and herniated disks).