Looking for 14 training miles in Chicago, IL (Feb 1) (Read 121 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

okay, quick report on the experience: found the Universal Sole in the Central Loop area.  Quite different than the local running store I'm used to; very corporate; very . . . empty.  (our LRS is festooned with pictures of local runners over the last 30 years).

It snowed overnight, so I decided to not meet at the Uni-Sole above, hoping the path might be cleared by 10am.  It was.  Kinda.

I went north from Millennium Park.  Mistake.  Above Navy Pier the path was nothing but snow banks.  South, however, was surprisingly plowed all the way to University of Chicago.  Just a thin layer of slush from the snow that was still coming down.

Other than trucking along with some of the UChicago running team for a couple miles, my run was shit. Not really Chicago's fault except for the icy pellets flying into my eye on the windy way back.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

Sounds about as good as it could be. Humboldt would not have been much better with all the fresh snow. You got it done, that's what counts.

Kalsarikännit

okay, quick report on the experience: found the Universal Sole in the Central Loop area.  Quite different than the local running store I'm used to; very corporate; very . . . empty.  (our LRS is festooned with pictures of local runners over the last 30 years).

That store is brand new, the building it is in is brand new, and the entire development and neighborhood it is in is brand new (and it is not the Loop).  Some weird, goofy bi-level "neighborhood" of highrises and a few businesses were built that seems to attract transplants that want to be very close to downtown and are completely unable to detect (or don't care) when a neighborhood is weirdly sterile and lacking history or soul. Because of its weird location, and lack of public transportation, there is no foot traffic, and no reason for anyone to go there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

Above Navy Pier the path was nothing but snow banks.  South, however, was surprisingly plowed all the way to University of Chicago.  

Not really Chicago's fault except for the icy pellets flying into my eye on the windy way back.

You have to run high up on the ledges next to the drive for one mile until the S curve and then everything is fine. The whole path gets plowed for bike commuters, but snow blows.

Yeah. Welcome to winter.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Latent Runner

...but snow blows.

Some would say both figuratively and literally.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40