Big toe hole in the top of my Asics Kayano's (Read 5099 times)

Yep.  Both my big toes started punching through my last pair of Asics Nimbus (Nimbi?) after around 200 miles.  It didn't seem to affect my running, so I kept wearing them and finally relegated them to lawn work duty after around 400 miles when the holes got pretty big. 

I stepped down half-a-size to Asics Kayano and haven't noticed a problem after about 150 miles.

tomatolover

Haha I saw this topic and thought it was something I made.

Lookie here at my Asics kayano's after a month of use!

That's it!! -same shoe and all!

dudewheresmyrun

That"s a huge hole!!
          Yeah - that toe wants it's freedom big time. Let it roam free!
            I've noticed that somewhere around mile 225, my big toe has bored a hole in top of my left shoe.....It's pretty much only netting, though I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Is this normal?

if not:

2. Is this a shoe issue or a foot issue

I feel i've got another hundred miles or so left in my current pair, but  am wondering if this is a sign to replace.  Has anyone had a similar problem with their running shoes and/or Kayanos.

Late-comer to this thread.  I have a similar hole but further up on my Kayano 14s in the direction of my leg.  Don't get me started on the 15s.

It's normal for Kayanos, it seems.  You're probably fine.  Kayanos are not .  They're going on my goat's hind legs. 

I gave up on Asics ...Pearl Izumis rock - I just bought my 6th pair.  I'm just retiring the oldest pair, at 360 miles, and they still look good.

Overall, how would you compare the PI's to the Asics 2130s you were running in?  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My Asics 2140 get holes in the left big toe--I love the shoe though, so I don't want to give it up  It is not as bad as your shoe though!

On a side note, I checked out your profile and I am a teacher in Bergen county too!

Both big toes bidding for freedom here in GT 2100, 2120, 2130 and both pairs of 2140. Hole never gets big enough before about 400 miles (the lawn threshold) to affect the shoes performance (in my pretty amateur opinion).

I have always put it down to the fact that I have seriously out of proportion big toes!

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

hype2120

SAME PROBLEM on a fairly new pair of Kayano 15's. Approximately 200 walking miles logged in less than four months. I have used Asics Kayano for as long as I can recall. Still use my "retired from exercise" Kayano 13 & 14 for casual wear. They are older and have logged many more miles than my 15's. I am convinced this is a manufacturer defect. I am curious if Asics has changed the material, the design or changed the location where their shoes are made. Something is definitely wrong. I've owned 20+ pair of these and never seen this happen. Either they are defective -- or Asics has changed something. I have changed nothing: same weight, some surface, same sock brand, same usage. I'm loathe to spend $140 on Kayano 16 if this is going to happen again. I'm very unhappy! I took pictures of the 15's with holes and of the older 13 & 14 (no holes.) I don't know how to upload them.
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

I have a similar hole but further up on my Kayano 14s in the direction of my leg. 

That is the hole that you are supposed to put your foot through.

my original response was indecent.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Dt1973

I used to get toe holes in every pair of running shoes I owned after a few months. Now I use a product called Shoe Armour (link below) and I don't get these holes anymore. Saves me a ton of money because my shoes last a lot longer! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGI2JAG
                        Chris Pinney

Try Altras they have much more room out front.

Paul in the Peaks

Old thread, but if anyone is left listening....

all of my trainers do this - I play a lot of racket sports too.

my local running store told me I have weak shin muscles and that I should try picking up a pencil with my toes whilst watching tv in evenings. I don't think it was April 1st..

not tried it but who knows?

I love running - after the event...

Full: 3:59:26

Half 1:39

15k 1:17

10k 48:24

5k 22.18

Every pair of Asics I have ever owned had a big toe hole in the right foot.

Alrunr

Same thing happened to my Mizuno Wave Sayonora's, Saucony Mirage 3's and one starting on my Mizuno Wave Riders. I attribute it to the toenail on my big toe which points up slightly and not being kept short enough.