Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Julia1971

(Is it weird that I can't wait until this Marathon thing is over, so i can get back to logging miles?)

No, not at all.  I have a like-hate relationship with the marathon.  I like logging the miles - I like running.  But, I don't like not racing.  There aren't lots of races in the winter, but still.  I'm a race-a-month kinda gal so marathon training leaves me a little bored.

(Happy clapping!)  Happy tapering!

Julia1971

Week 12 started off strong but I was dragging by the end.  I had some good runs Monday-Wednesday but I lost steam by Thursday.  I slept in Saturday and I felt much better.  I think everything - running, working and socializing - just catches up to me by the end of the week.

I had my first tune-up race today!  It was a 10 miler.  My goal was to run 1:11:20/7:08 pace which is what McMillan calculates to be just under a 3:20 marathon.  I usually make several mistakes right off the bat: I over-dress, line up too far back and start too slow.  I think I did well with the first one - I brought two choices to the race, saw what everyone else was wearing and then changed in the car  Smile - but, I probably still screwed up the last two ...  The course was rolling hills. I'm not the best hill runner - I tend to slow a lot on the uphills and then use the long legs to fly on the downhills to make up for it.  So, I started conservatively.  I felt very comfortable with the pace a few miles in so around mile 3 or 4, I started running more aggressively and passing people.  I had a bit of "Garmin panic" mid-race when I realized I was running much faster than my goal pace so early but decided to roll with it - it's a tune up race, why not blow it up?  Wink  I passed a woman at mile 7 or so and then didn't see any women ahead, so I was just racing for a better time at that point (and, not getting passed from behind).  I finished in 1:10:27; a PR by 4 minutes. Bonus: it was also good enough for 3rd in my age group so I got a nice gift certificate to the local running store and I love buying running gear.  I think I may adjust my goal for Boston to sub-3:20.

For the dog people: I'm so jealous...  I think I may look into adopting again next year.  I'd like to get another greyhound but I was rejected last go around because the agency felt I wasn't home enough. They wanted me to commit to having a dog walker for her twice a day. Maybe when I'm done with high mileage marathoning I'll have more time.

Miles Last Week: 74

Goal for This Week: A bit of recovery and then 14 miles at marathon pace on Saturday.  I think it's going to be a rough week.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

No tapering. Very impressive. When I get ready to go <3:30 i will come back to copy your training. wtg. ipad errors i="" will="" come="" back="" to="" copy="" your="" training.="" wtg.="" ipad=""></3:30 i will come back to copy your training. wtg. ipad errors>

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Julia1971

Congrats

Thanks!  When you are ready, and in case I make my log private again, I've followed Pfitz for my last two marathons.  (I started with a training group for my first, but turned to Pfitz about half way, though, so it's really more like 2.5 marathons).  I really like having a set schedule to follow. 

Edited because the math was funny.  Half =/= 0.75

I ran a marathon today, but treated it as a training run for my 'A' race in 12 weeks. Relatively happing with 3:56 running comfortably most of the way. Started to suffer a bit in the last 5k.

Now I'm going to embark on the Pfitz 55-70 mpw 12 week plan to get me into shape for Edinburgh.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I finished in 1:10:27; a PR by 4 minutes. Bonus: it was also good enough for 3rd in my age group so I got a nice gift certificate to the local running store and I love buying running gear.  I think I may adjust my goal for Boston to sub-3:20.

Miles Last Week: 74

Goal for This Week: A bit of recovery and then 14 miles at marathon pace on Saturday.  I think it's going to be a rough week.

Great job Julia!!! fantastic.  I've been away sulking as I am not able to run. I'm glad I caught this. Continued health and best wishes to you.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hit my taper none-too-early; I have blisters on top of blisters on other blisters between my toes.  None are very serious, but I doubt they will get a chance to heal before the Marathon.  They just get to normal and then I run again.  Plus, it's rained a lot last week -- so wet feet didn't help anything.  Using some toe-socks for relief.

Down from 65 to 50mi this week.  Last run was a 8mi(7:45), 4mi(7:35), 1mi(7:45) run.  Taxing around mile 11&12.  I think I demonstrated to myself that 7:45 is not my goal pace.

2weeks to go.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

@Dreamless Sleep:  Thanks!  Are you going to be out for a while?  Hope it's something you can recover from quickly.

@Stadjak: Sorry to hear about the blisters.  How'd it happen?  New shoes?  So, how are you enjoying your taper?  Is it driving you crazy or are you handling it in stride?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

@Stadjak: Sorry to hear about the blisters.  How'd it happen?  New shoes?  So, how are you enjoying your taper?  Is it driving you crazy or are you handling it in stride?

Well, I might be doing this taper thing wrong.  I cut the miles, but in this first week of three, I did some sharpening workouts. (not too hard).  Next week looks like a string of "easy" runs -- which sounds more frustrating.

The blisters started when I played some racquetball with a friend in the same socks I finished a half-marathon 20mins before -- cotton.  So, the toes got all scrunched up and bothered with each other.  Add to two full-rain intervals sets last week (I think I'll put Vasiline on my foot next time so my feet don't get all wrinkled and soggy).  After that it's just a case of not giving them time to heal before more abuse.  A few have turned into callouses.  Unfortunately, they are on the tips of my toes -- thus making my shoes a bit 'smaller'-- which causes more abrasion.  The blisters are in spots that would be hard to moleskin.   So far it's all very runnable pain. I'll probably just live with it through the marathon and try to let them heal in the recovery period.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

So far it's all very runnable pain.

Those are the magic words!  And, I'm sure you can find tips about running with blisters on the interwebs.  Check in again when all the easy runs hit.  Those are fun times.  Smile

NICE race Julia! Congrats on the new PR!!

Sorry to hear you're not able to run dreamless! Hope your back at ASAP!

Ughhhhh blisters between the toes HATE THEM.  That is the whole reason I started wearing Injinji socks. Try to enjoy your taper stadjak!

As for me I finished my peak week with 103.9  miles with 2 of the runs being a little over 50k each, AND  I actually even managed to take  a day off.  This week looks to be a fun week. Got a 5k on Sunday and  a 20 mile run with 10-12 miles at marathon pace on Thursday I think. Now that I'm done with the really long stuff it's  time to add some speed back in for the next couple weeks. First time I've ever tapered for an Ultra by doing marathon training

MTA: it will be interesting to say the least how all this training will translate come marathon day

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well, I might be doing this taper thing wrong.  I cut the miles, but in this first week of three, I did some sharpening workouts. (not too hard).  Next week looks like a string of "easy" runs -- which sounds more frustrating.

The blisters started when I played some racquetball with a friend in the same socks I finished a half-marathon 20mins before -- cotton.  So, the toes got all scrunched up and bothered with each other.  Add to two full-rain intervals sets last week (I think I'll put Vasiline on my foot next time so my feet don't get all wrinkled and soggy).  After that it's just a case of not giving them time to heal before more abuse.  A few have turned into callouses.  Unfortunately, they are on the tips of my toes -- thus making my shoes a bit 'smaller'-- which causes more abrasion.  The blisters are in spots that would be hard to moleskin.   So far it's all very runnable pain. I'll probably just live with it through the marathon and try to let them heal in the recovery period.

I duct my toes

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Julia1971

As for me I finished my peak week with 103.9  miles with 2 of the runs being a little over 50k each, AND  I actually even managed to take  a day off.  This week looks to be a fun week. Got a 5k on Sunday and  a 20 mile run with 10-12 miles at marathon pace on Thursday I think. Now that I'm done with the really long stuff it's  time to add some speed back in for the next couple weeks. First time I've ever tapered for an Ultra by doing marathon training

MTA: it will be interesting to say the least how all this training will translate come marathon day

Wow!  Were you tempted to run 0.1 miles to make that an even 104?  I guess you can round up.  Slacker.  Wink

It sounds like you're on the mend.  Yay!  I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you.  I gotta believe hard work and consistency pays off.

Last week didn't go according to plan Smile.  It was, however, awesome.

Three things happened.  One, one of my good friends asked if I'd run a 10K with her that weekend--I've never done a 10K, and it shared part of its course with The Flying Pig Marathon, which I'm signed up to do in May.  I couldn't say no.  I planned on reducing my mileage a touch to recoup for it.

Two, I decided I needed to run a track workout on Tuesday.  It wasn't on my plan.  However, I haven't done 800m repeats since October.  Why not?  I set out intending to do 6 x 800m repeats.  I was planning to do them at 3:00-3:10 each...but they went better than that (2:59, 2:57, 2:59, 2:57, 2:59, 2:57).  Still felt fresh, so I did one extra @ 2:48. 

...Three, I probably shouldn't have done such a hard workout.  I was feeling a bit iffy that morning, but was fine by the end of work.  The next morning, if I wasn't stubborn, I might have admitted I was sick.  Smile  High school students (I'm a teacher) are plague carriers!  I cut back my mileage and tried to get more sleep.

The race went pretty well!  It was a challenging course--started with a 1.5 mile, nearly-600-feet-of-climbing hill.  The wind coming off the Ohio River added to the flavor of the challenge (20-30mph, I guess, and gusty too!).  It was an auto-PR (first 10K!) @ 41:55.  That was good for a 26th out of 939.  Can't complain. 

It was my lowest mileage week (51 miles) since November.  Eek!  Got to run trails for a lot of it, though.  Even took a class at Clifton Gorge on trail building and maintenance. 

This week's goal is to 1) shake this cold/sinus crap, possibly see a doctor if I need to, 2) get in a solid long run (or two) this weekend.  I'm technically starting to taper this week.  My next marathon is March 25th--the ORRRC Marathon in Xenia.  It's on nice, flat ground Smile.  After that, it'll be a recovery/between marathon plan for the Flying Pig on the 6th.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek