Men's size guide for womens top's and shorts (Read 1562 times)

jayskydee

Please No homophobes on this thread. Or people who HAVE nothing constructive to say.
    After all if this thread does not interest them enough to give serious answers,
     I see no reason why they need disgrace the thread with there presence.

I am a heterosexual guy and outside of the sports arena have no need,
     desire or attraction to the women's line of clothing.

I can not understand guys who wear dresses or lipstick or knickers.

However on the sports field there are colours I can't easily get which I can in the womens,
     there are cut's which ride up a little (hopefully not so much that your not covered properly
    and their are shorter shorts. 

Yes I could buy a man's and pay for it to be cut up and extra for it to be cut up like a women's with different height at front 
    and back BUT that costs money, time and effort.

I like the immediacy of getting something that is already set up to go 
    and which does not have to be altered in addition to the expense of buying it. 
    Nor should I see why I should have to pay once for the shorts 
    and again to adjust them to make em shorter.

So my question is about what size women's running shorts to buy. 
    Hold on people I am gettting to the information you need to advise me.
     I am 27 inch waist and 33.5 inch hips
     ( I would like to boost this with specific exercises to around 34 or 34.5 inchs).
     I believe this makes an 8 the currently best option,
     however I am concerned about them shrinking in the wash.
    Or me putting on 1/2 an inch to my tiny waist which may or may not be abnormally thin,
    for my body's "set point" position. 

But I worry about a 10 might drowning me at the hips.  
    As for colour I am going for pink and black to match my white and pink trainers.
    I don't have the bottle to go total pink so it has to be a splash of pink. 

I want matching attire and I like the shorter shorts as I can see what my knees and legs are up to better when doing exercises
     and it just feels quite empowering too, from a range of motion point of view. 

Would the sizes I suggest be about right?
     A small fitted me fine with only a little tightning required and it DOES NOT HURT the male gentiles as I was worried it might,
     my current pair are red and have that cut I like but ONLY the most observent would really notice.  

I am now ready to be a tiny bit bolder but size is my worry.

I also don't know what tank top sizes or athletics top sizes to go for I was thinking somewhere between a 10 to 14 
    given I have a 33 inch chest.
    (But I don't know if the size of my chest is even somewhat equivalent to the size of a women's chest plus bust 
    as their chests without busts would be smaller than mine but with would be bigger).

#artbydmcbride

Different brands seem to size differently from each other.  Your best bet is to try things on.  I have found Nike runs a little big, Brooks runs small, and Asics can be all over the place; sometims a medium is too tight, and small is too loose.

Runners run

I don't have much personal experience with wearing women's tops and shorts but I can highly recommend the Athleta catalog as a source of ideasl.  My wife gets it in the mail each month and I always take some time to thumb through it--I am never disappointed and always come away with some great ideas.  I would suggest everyone check it out.  Of course they have a website too but it is not nearly the same.  The catalog is extremely high quality.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Mikey, I commend you for your excellent choice in catalogs. 

MTA, and she gets the catalog every month/  My poor dh is so gypped. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Elly.

Suggest you shop at the children's department for your workout clothes.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Wing

Joggaholic

+1

I shop from the boy's or teens department. I'm 120lb and 27" waist. Occasionally XS sizes from the men's section also works.

keeponrunning

A close friend of mine is about your size (127lb, 27" waist), he wears xs or small male stuff.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I ran in college with a guy your size.  Eastbay.com has small men's sizes of their generic gear.  Very cheap and good stuff. He wears these smalls.  They're for guys and cut for guys.  I'm 6 ft tall and have a 29 inch waste and wear a medium.  Their size chart is right on.  The matching tanks are great too.  They go on sale a few times a year.  Almost everyone on my college team would order from here once/twice a year get 5 pairs and you're good to go. tanks

I don't know why it has been so hard for you.  My dad is the same size as you...or was in his prime, and he could always find running stuff like this. 

Just trying to be helpful...and as to shoes...i would just use the help lines on almost every major website (nike, new balance, addidas, etc).  They should be able to track down shoes for you in your size pretty easy.  New balance specifically lists their lasts so you can get high arches or not, narrow, wide etc.

New Balance earned our position as the leader in shoe fit by offering more fit combinations than any other footwear company. In addition to shoe length and width, we use a shoe last. A shoe last is a 360 degree model of the foot used to create each shoe's heel width, instep height, toe box width and toe box depth. Though it's not the primary factor, in conjunction with length and width, the shoe last helps our customers achieve the best possible fit.

Last Type

Heel Width
                  Heel Width

Instep Height
                  Instep Height

Toe Box Depth
                  Toe Box Depth

Forefoot Width
                  Forefoot Width

Women's
                  AL-2 Standard Higher Deeper Standard
                  NBJ Standard Lower Reduced Volume Reduced Volume
                  PL-1 Anatomical Lower Reduced Volume Reduced Lateral Forefoot Girth
                  PW-1 Anatomical Lower Reduced Volume Wider and Lower Profile than PL-1
                  RL-1, SL-1, WX-001 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                  RL-2, RL-3 Narrower Standard Standard Standard
                  SL-2, WOL-01 Narrower Higher Deeper Wider
                  Men's
                  AL-1, MB-001, MF-001, MX-001, RL-1, SL-1 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                  CW-1, RL-2, RL-3 Narrower Standard Standard Standard
                  MF-002 Standard Higher Deeper Wider
                  MOL-01, SL-2 Narrower Higher Deeper Wider
                  TSL-1 Narrower Standard Reduced Volume Wider

MNL-1: Natural Last / WNL-1: Natural Last
                  Minimus footwear is designed to mimic the natural motion of the foot. The last these styles use provides a more fitted feel, similar to a comfortable sock.

Last Type

Heel Width
                  Heel Width

Instep Height
                  Instep Height

Toe Box Depth
                  Toe Box Depth

Forefoot Width
                  Forefoot Width

Kid's
                  JL-1, JL-IN, KD-1 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                  JL-2, JL-NR Standard Standard Standard Wider

Aravon Precision Lasts

Last Type Heel Width Instep Height Toe Box Depth Forefoot Width Footbed Depth Heel Height
                  GL-1 Narrower Standard Moderate Moderate 4.5mm in heel 5/8 or 12/8
                  LL-1 Narrower Adjustable Moderate Moderate 10.0mm Standard
                  ML-1 Standard Standard Deeper Wider 5.0mm Standard

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

jayskydee

Different brands seem to size differently from each other.  Your best bet is to try things on.  I have found Nike runs a little big, Brooks runs small, and Asics can be all over the place; sometims a medium is too tight, and small is too loose.

Thanks there is some variation as i ordered stuff online and got quite lucky because the 8's fitted me, the small fitted me (technically a 7 likely) and even a 10 I ordered by accident fitted me as I thought it was a small. As for the tops it may be a more time consuming process to find my size because of the broader shoulders/lack of chest enigma. I am glad people realize that I would NEVER wear the gear outside of a sporting enviroment and that it does not make me some sort of crossdresser. I find it unfair women have clothes that can show of their abs but men have no such thing for the gym. Also the assumption about men liking a bland straight cut in all their gear is wrong too.

jayskydee

I don't have much personal experience with wearing women's tops and shorts but I can highly recommend the Athleta catalog as a source of ideasl.  My wife gets it in the mail each month and I always take some time to thumb through it--I am never disappointed and always come away with some great ideas.  I would suggest everyone check it out.  Of course they have a website too but it is not nearly the same.  The catalog is extremely high quality.

How would a person go about obtaining this Catalog? Do they operate in the UK?

jayskydee

A close friend of mine is about your size (127lb, 27" waist), he wears xs or small male stuff.  

Yeah xs may be ok, however the tops are too narrow on the shoulders and small male shorts are normally quite baggy on my waist but smaller would be too narrow for my widish hips (relative to my body).  And then their is the issue of getting pink in the male clothing.... Or light blues.

jayskydee

Hmm yeah but their hips are too narrow for me, as 33.5 inch hips is actually not small at all for a man of my size and not much smaller than men of considerably bigger chest and leg size.  I would try if not for my hips and broadish shoulders which are at odds with the rest of me. 

jayskydee

I ran in college with a guy your size.  Eastbay.com has small men's sizes of their generic gear.  Very cheap and good stuff. He wears these smalls.  They're for guys and cut for guys.  I'm 6 ft tall and have a 29 inch waste and wear a medium.  Their size chart is right on.  The matching tanks are great too.  They go on sale a few times a year.  Almost everyone on my college team would order from here once/twice a year get 5 pairs and you're good to go. tanks

I don't know why it has been so hard for you.  My dad is the same size as you...or was in his prime, and he could always find running stuff like this. 

Just trying to be helpful...and as to shoes...i would just use the help lines on almost every major website (nike, new balance, addidas, etc).  They should be able to track down shoes for you in your size pretty easy.  New balance specifically lists their lasts so you can get high arches or not, narrow, wide etc.

New Balance earned our position as the leader in shoe fit by offering more fit combinations than any other footwear company. In addition to shoe length and width, we use a shoe last. A shoe last is a 360 degree model of the foot used to create each shoe's heel width, instep height, toe box width and toe box depth. Though it's not the primary factor, in conjunction with length and width, the shoe last helps our customers achieve the best possible fit.

Last Type

Heel Width
                            Heel Width

Instep Height
                            Instep Height

Toe Box Depth
                            Toe Box Depth

Forefoot Width
                            Forefoot Width

Women's
                            AL-2 Standard Higher Deeper Standard
                            RL-1, SL-1, WX-001 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                            RL-2, RL-3 Narrower Standard Standard Standard
                            SL-2, WOL-01 Narrower Higher Deeper Wider
                            Men's
                            AL-1, MB-001, MF-001, MX-001, RL-1, SL-1 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                            CW-1, RL-2, RL-3 Narrower Standard Standard Standard
                            MF-002 Standard Higher Deeper Wider
                            MOL-01, SL-2 Narrower Higher Deeper Wider
                            TSL-1 Narrower Standard Reduced Volume Wider
                            MNL-1: Natural Last / WNL-1: Natural Last
                            Minimus footwear is designed to mimic the natural motion of the foot. The last these styles use provides a more fitted feel, similar to a comfortable sock.

Last Type

Heel Width
                            Heel Width

Instep Height
                            Instep Height

Toe Box Depth
                            Toe Box Depth

Forefoot Width
                            Forefoot Width

Kid's
                            JL-1, JL-IN, KD-1 Standard Standard Standard Standard
                            JL-2, JL-NR Standard Standard Standard Wider

Aravon Precision Lasts

Last Type Heel Width Instep Height Toe Box Depth Forefoot Width Footbed Depth Heel Height
                            GL-1 Narrower Standard Moderate Moderate 4.5mm in heel 5/8 or 12/8
                            LL-1 Narrower Adjustable Moderate Moderate 10.0mm Standard
                            ML-1 Standard Standard Deeper Wider 5.0mm Standard

Thanks for this information will use it if buying new balance trainers, although am not sure toe box death matters too much. I find the womens stuff fits me prity well but being a half size i have to sometimes take the 6 in womens which in the uk is slightly smaller than the male six (which drowns me). I can get shorter shorts if I look hard in shops but half of them are still baggy (cause of my smaller waist and thighs (but I have a decent size pelvis,lol). I dunno but I quite like the non uniform cut of women's shorts like Nike and don't see anything particualry wrong with wearing matching gear which accentuates the slight dip in my waist or which shows of a little of my toned legs.