Training Plan derailed - Recommendations? (Read 841 times)

Finished!

I need some guidance, folks. The short of it is I manged to get shin splints. I'm quite confident it's not my shoes, it's not anything new on my route, it's not due to my running all on one side of the road since my routes are almost always out and back. I took the last 5 days "off" from running - I did some hiking this weekend, but not too much. I am planning on testing my legs tomorrow to see if the shin splints are still with me, if they are, I plan on trying to focus on non-impact aerobic training to keep my fitness level up. Why all the "drama"? My HM is 3 weekends away. I contacted the race director offering myself as a volunteer and pay any transfer/change fee in exchange for a deferral to next yr's race - it was a no go - it's either forfeit the entrance fee or make some attempt at participating in the event as originally planned. As it is, I suspect I will have to walk a good portion of the route. Any recommendations on what I can concentrate on in the next 2.5 weeks to make the most of the situation? I was slated for a 9mi run this weekend and a 10 mi run next weekend, but it's highly dependent on what my legs are feeling like.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    JakeKnight

Not much advice - just wanted to say sorry you're dealing with this. It's a bummer. I think this is a good idea:
      I am planning on testing my legs tomorrow to see if the shin splints are still with me, if they are, I plan on trying to focus on non-impact aerobic training to keep my fitness level up.
      If it were me, I'd just be really gentle for the next couple weeks, and put a priority on feeling no pain until the race. And I'd decide ahead of time if running hard during the race is worth serious injury (see Kooky, for example) - or not. Either way, I wouldn't do the planned long runs ... I'd just save it for the race. Depending on how bad it is, I might not even run again - just hit the bike or the elliptical for the next couple weeks. Not saying this will happen to you, but there might be a silver lining to your dark cloud: I've heard stories of people who had this happen, had to take a few weeks off right before a marathon - and ended up doing way better than they'd planned. I guess because they were overtraining a bit, and the injury made them rest. Maybe it'll happen to you?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

And I'd decide ahead of time if running hard during the race is worth serious injury (see Kooky, for example) - or not.?
        Jake's got a good point here. What the physio mentioned was that shin splints are stress fractures waiting to happen. It's quite possible that the pain I was feeling in my lower leg and ankle prior to the race was from shin splints that I iced and ignored. If that's the case, then running on them hard during the race could have caused a fracture. Of course I am still keeping my finger's crossed that this is not what happened to me but it's definitely a possibility. I can empathise with your frustration. I hated getting my knee injury just weeks before my race. All that careful planning goes out the window. On a good note I had 11 days not running and resumed again just 2 weeks before race day. I only got to cross train once (too difficult with all the kiddos to get to the gym) and yet I found no loss of fitness at all. Poo poo to the race director for not being nice! I'll cross everything that tomorrow's run shows splint free legs and that you can resume training immediately. Good luck! Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

With the race close you are probally on the decline with the training. So I don't think that taking it easy and see how it goes is not a bad idea at all that's what I would do if in your shoes. Good Luck hope everything works out, and you get to run....though it might not be a PR

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Finished!

With the race close you are probally on the decline with the training. So I don't think that taking it easy and see how it goes is not a bad idea at all that's what I would do if in your shoes. Good Luck hope everything works out, and you get to run....though it might not be a PR
            LOL, well, unfortunately the Novice plan I was on had me increasing miles until the week before the race. (leaving a 1 week taper). As for the PR, it's going to a PR even if I walk the dratted thing Wink I've never registered for a HM. Hiked 13 miles more than once, but never as a race, and certainly not on a road Tongue I figure if I'm hiking I prefer to be in the wilderness Roll eyes Course with the Race Director being not so helful in this case makes me wonder if I'll register for this same race next yr when I can just as easily select one of the Rock n Roll events instead Wink
            Walk + Jog = wog.

Now that was a bath...

Did you manage to run again? I've been wondering how you went. It seems that there are a few of us battling injury at the moment. You, me, Eric, Chloe, Ewa are all having issues and lot's of new people are popping in with injury questions! Claire xxx

Finished!

Did you manage to run again? I've been wondering how you went. It seems that there are a few of us battling injury at the moment. You, me, Eric, Chloe, Ewa are all having issues and lot's of new people are popping in with injury questions! Claire xxx
                Claire Smile Thanks so much for thinking of me - I'm actually about to head out the door to an appointment with Mr. Dreadmill (i figure if I'm going to run, I probably shouldn't do it on concrete, and the local track is muddied from recent, though much needed rains) I'll check in again once I'm home and showered Smile
                Walk + Jog = wog.

Why is it sideways?

You might try running on an elliptical trainer, which eliminates much of the pounding. Or the exercise bike. Or the pool. Or upper-body work. It's not the same, I know, but if you can keep your heart rate elevated for the same time as you had been running, you can maintain your fitness while resting your injured parts. Sometimes injury forces us to take a break from running, but that break can be a good thing. Sometimes in our concentration on running, we neglect other elements of fitness--like overall body strength. Injuries give us a good time to refocus on those other elements. In fact, I ran my mile PR in college a month after having to take 3 months completely off from running--I used that time to concentrate on overall core strength, and the results were clear. And, like Lynn said--the hay is in the barn at this point in terms of your running. The key thing is to not let your injury affect your confidence. Make yourself stronger than ever in other ways, and you may be surprised at the results. Modified to add: Looks like you're running again! Good luck!

Prophet!

Hope everything is going well and you manage to race. Just enjoy the race and the experience. Like Jeff said, breaks are sometimes good and you'll be amazed at what you can do come race day with all the adrenaline and people around you...those are amazing boosts. Good luck. Aloha, Steve
                      You might try "running" in a pool. My son had shin splints his entire high school senior year cross country season. He made all-state, but he spent more time training in the pool than he did running on land.

Finished!

Thanks you guys for all the suggestions. The dreadmill was okay - shins didn't really complain, though the same leg was now having some twinginess around the inside ankle bone. It was the first run since last Wednesday/Thursday. I don't want to push my luck with the possible injury so I might save the treadmilling for limited testing of how my shins/ankles are doing. I spent yesterday doing yoga, stepmill and stationary bike - I am thinking I might pick up the elliptical in there too, but I never quite feel like I'm getting the same cardiovascular workout when using the stationary bike or the elliptical. Jeff- no kidding on the neglecting other elements of fitness - my DH has been after me to cross and strength train, but I've been focused on running and building a running base - with the injured shins, I finally hied myself to the gym after a long absence, did an hour of yoga along with the bike & stairmaster and man, are my core muscles sore today! I can't sneeze without saying "ouch"!
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        RUN HARD

I would revamp training plan and avoid all EASY days. Rest is far better than a 3 or 4 mile run. Rather run 2 or 3 quality mileage days. Eliminate the JUNK days.

Now that was a bath...

I think that you have a good plan in saving the treadmill for testing your legs and keeping up aerobic fitness other ways. You still have a bit of time to play with. If you can get in one more long run without problems before the big day I reckon you'll be ok. Jeff has a good point too. When I had that 11 days off I only got to use the bike once but I lifted weights regularly. I got two personal records in the first three days back running so sometimes rest + a bit of cross training can be just the ticket. With my knee I woke up one morning and I just knew that it wouldn't be an issue again. It felt strong and I didn't have a single twinge throughout the day. I hope that the same happens to you in the next few days and you can pick up where you left off. Claire xxx

Finished!

Undecided it appears the treadmill may have been a bit early I'm now hobbling about the house with my ankles not so happy - definitely feels like an overuse/over pronation problem. *sigh* The good news is it isn't shin splints Wink it's an entirely new pain Dead
                              Walk + Jog = wog.

Now that was a bath...

Any chance that you can get a professional opinion on what's going on? I know it's frustrating when you don't know what's up. I went from thinking that mine was a muscular strain from limping during my knee injury, to thinking that I had an issue with my achilles to finding out that it is either shin splints or a stress fracture. My therapist (that would be physical and not a shrink) said that an issue one place on the body can cause pain or even injury elsewhere. So if you have something wrong with your calf muscles it can be a catalyst for pain in your foot. This can be because contractions or swellings from the injured area put extra pressure somewhere else - or simply because you compensate for the painful area and slightly change your running gait causing problems elsewhere. It's a long shot but maybe the ankle is part of the same problem. I also remember my PT checking my ankle and asking if I had pain there because she said that issues with the lower shin often cause a problem in the ankle, if I remember correctly it is because the ligaments of that part of the leg support the ankle. Anyhow. Good news that the splints didn't show up and I hope that the ankle turns out to be nothing. Claire xxx