5-K in 2 days? (Read 921 times)

JakeKnight

A certain someone is trying to rope me into a 5-k Thursday morning. At the moment, I'm still hobbling pretty badly. Was planning on a 2-3 mile gentle run tomorrow. Maybe. So I've got about 40 hours to recover. And I don't really want to run the 5-k if I can't push it. Hard. If it's just going to be a jog, I'd rather hang out and watch her, save the money for something important. Like beer. So - can I? Should I? Will I run fast? Slow? Will I cripple myself? I've got 'til midnight tonight to register. Insert your wisdom here. I'm sure one of you knuckleheads has an opinion. (Actually, I won't be surprised if Trent ran a 5-k yesterday ...)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Cryptic

go run a couple miles today. Getting that blood pumping will feel good. The race benefits habitat for humanity so that is cool plus I think I am going to run it so you can look forward to beating me Smile

Why is it sideways?

I'm "running" the Boulevard Bolt 5-miler on Thursday. Stupid me didn't realize it was the same week as the monkey when I sent in the entry. I'll echo the advice--get out and run easy today and tomorrow. I ran easy yesterday and feel much better today. Maybe you'll run faster than you think. Different systems. That's what I keep telling myself.
        Scout7

If you don't wanna do it then don't. And yes, you may go to the bathroom now.
          JakeKnight

I'm "running" the Boulevard Bolt 5-miler on Thursday. Stupid me didn't realize it was the same week as the monkey when I sent in the entry. I'll echo the advice--get out and run easy today and tomorrow. I ran easy yesterday and feel much better today. Maybe you'll run faster than you think. Different systems. That's what I keep telling myself.
            We were thinking about doing the Bolt. I think the Commander-in-Chief decided she'd rather do the 5-k, though. She heard it's really crowded and (at least for those of us farther back) hard to really "run" 'cause of the crowds. I can't ask your opinion on the matter, of course, because you've probably never seen the back of the pack. Smile I heard lots of the local celebs and wannabes run it, including the Governor. True or rumor? Good luck! Look forward to seeing the results.
            go run a couple miles today. Getting that blood pumping will feel good. The race benefits habitat for humanity so that is cool plus I think I am going to run it so you can look forward to beating me Smile
            You're doing the Habitrot? Hmm. That makes it a little more tempting. It was kinda cool meeting some of the folks on here. One way or another, I think I'll be there, either watching or running. Might actually be fun just to be a spectator.

Cryptic

You're doing the Habitrot? Hmm. That makes it a little more tempting. It was kinda cool meeting some of the folks on here. One way or another, I think I'll be there, either watching or running. Might actually be fun just to be a spectator.
              That is the game plan. I was going to preregister to make sure I ran it but registration is closed even though it says it is open until midnight tonight. I dunno maybe it meant midnight last night. I am not too excited about the 8am start time its going to be cold but I guess I will get over it. The only thing that would stop me from running it is the random lets go get hammered phone call.
              JakeKnight

I was going to preregister to make sure I ran it but registration is closed even though it says it is open until midnight tonight.
                Uh oh. I could be in trouble if that's true. Tight lipped

Why is it sideways?

My wife ran the Bolt last year, and she enjoyed the crowd. I think that a lot of people underrate their running abilities and a lot of others overrate their walking abilities, so that turns into a problem. She jumped in about 1/4-1/3 of the way back from the front and had a nice run at around 8:30 pace. If you want to run, then don't line up more than halfway back. You will be an elite in this field. As for the celebs, I don't know, but it is usually the fastest race for local sub-elites in Nashville.

You'll ruin your knees!

A certain someone is trying to rope me into a 5-k Thursday morning. At the moment, I'm still hobbling pretty badly. Was planning on a 2-3 mile gentle run tomorrow. Maybe. So I've got about 40 hours to recover. And I don't really want to run the 5-k if I can't push it. Hard. If it's just going to be a jog, I'd rather hang out and watch her, save the money for something important. Like beer. So - can I? Should I? Will I run fast? Slow? Will I cripple myself? I've got 'til midnight tonight to register. Insert your wisdom here. I'm sure one of you knuckleheads has an opinion. (Actually, I won't be surprised if Trent ran a 5-k yesterday ...)
                    From one k-head to another...sign up and run it with her! How hard is that to figure out? You'll be the hero, running a 5k...with her...when you were barely able to hobble after running your marathon PR through a bunch of crap-slinging monkeys! What a man! My $.02...for you, $.50! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

That is the game plan. I was going to preregister to make sure I ran it but registration is closed even though it says it is open until midnight tonight. I dunno maybe it meant midnight last night. I am not too excited about the 8am start time its going to be cold but I guess I will get over it. The only thing that would stop me from running it is the random lets go get hammered phone call.
                      Hey FYI: you were right on the registration being screwed up, so I talked to the race director (or somebody - guy named Don), and he said if you get out there today between 2-5, or just tell them you tried to early register when you show up on Thursday morning, you can at least pay the cheaper rate. Can't help you with the "random lets go get hammered phone call" though. Big grin I remember those calls. I sort of miss them. (Of course a real man would answer the call ... and then run the next morning anyway ... Shocked Shocked Shocked Big grin)

Scout7

Big grin I remember those calls. I sort of miss them. (Of course a real man would answer the call ... and then run the next morning anyway ...
                        Beer can be an integral part of your training nutrition.
                          From one k-head to another...sign up and run it with her! How hard is that to figure out? You'll be the hero, running a 5k...with her...when you were barely able to hobble after running your marathon PR through a bunch of crap-slinging monkeys! What a man! My $.02...for you, $.50! Lynn B
                          I agree. Earn some points and take it as a post-marathon shakeout cruise. In your weakened condition there's a good chance she kicks your but anyway! Haha.

Runners run

Cryptic

hmmm drive to franklin and save $5 and lock my self into not skipping....hmmmm hmmmmm hmmmm i just don't know it is so tempting And scout i get my weekly intake of beer no worries
                            JakeKnight

Beer can be an integral part of your training nutrition.
                              I had 2 beers Saturday night. 12 hours later, a 10 minute PR. The prosecution rests. I'm left with just one question: if I drank the whole 6-pack, would I have run 20 minutes faster. More testing is required. Results to follow.

JakeKnight

hmmm drive to franklin and save $5 and lock my self into not skipping....hmmmm hmmmmm hmmmm i just don't know it is so tempting And scout i get my weekly intake of beer no worries
                                FYI, the jury is still out on whether we're running tomorrow. I'll post something tonight when I know for sure. I'd say it's 75% at this point. And I'm running. Felt great this morning. Recovery is way over-rated.