Way to find similar shoes to Asics Cumulus? (Read 691 times)

It seems like awhile ago I saw a website that listed comparable shoes. Like if you've been running in Asics Cumulus, you might want to try this or this. Sound familiar to anyone? My ds will be starting 6th grade track today in his ragged out cross country trainers. (Bad mommy! I got the flu and totally forgot he needed new shoes.) We don't have time to travel to a *good* running store 2 hours away where he was fitted with Asics Cumulus at in the middle of CC season in the fall. They worked great and resolved all the issues he'd been having with his heel. There is a well stocked running store here in town but the staff is not very knowledgeable. Mostly just college kids who've been taught to measure a foot. Sad I want to have some idea of similar shoes when I walk in because I've BTDT before and ended up with horrible shoes. He wears a men's 7.5 which doesn't seem to be that easy to find so even though I'm hoping to find another pair of the Asics Cumulus, I want to have a few options in mind. He ran varsity CC with the 8th graders in the fall and so for 6th grade track, he'll likely be running the 1600. He's also clocked some of the fastest 6th grade sprint times as well so he may be running sprints as well, depending on how many kids come out for the team. Does he need different shoes for the 100 m than the 1600m? I'm not too excited about spending the $$ for two shoes for 6th grade track but will if I need to. Anyone know what a comparable shoe would be?
    huskydon

Hi, I am no expert, but I do have a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus VII (which is my favorite shoe ever) and a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus IX (OK, but not as good). The Asics Cumulus is a mid priced neutral shoe. If I look at my Roadrunner Sports spring preview 2008, it has these other neutral shoes. Hopefully one of them will work for your son.The ones with (W) come in widths, as do the Cumulus. Good luck to you!! Nike Air Pegasus (W) Nike Air Max Moto Saucony Progrid Trigon 5 Ride Saucony Grid Shadow 11 Asics Gel-Landreth 4 Asics Gel Stratus New Balance 755(W) New Balance 878 (W) New Balance 882 (W) Mizuno Wave Runner 11 (W) Brooks Dyad 4 Brooks Radius 7 Again, I am no expert about these things, but I don't think you need different shoes for the 100. Well, maybe if you were running professionally or something, but not for the 6th grade. huskydon

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Definitely for middle school track there is no need for different shoes, training shoes are the only thing that's needed. In HS most people make the jump to a pair of trainers and a set of spikes and by this point you usually start to focus on a group of races 100-400, 400-800, 800-2 mile.
          Thanks! Smile Hoping to find a good pair today. Teresa