Training Log Privacy on RunnningAHEAD? (Read 413 times)

ok, I think I got this.....  "keep my running log private" I believe still allows logged in members of RA to view your log (or you can set it up so that only members of your groups or members with a password to your log can view it).  the only option that allows the whole world to view your training log is the "everyone" option....  and it does mean EVERYONE!  and of course you can still make specific workouts private or notes private by checking the little boxes appropriately in each training log entry......

Tammarin.....

Oh and if your log is public, don't use the real names of people in your notes (if you write that sort of thing in your notes, like naming other contestants in a race) unless you don't mind that it is searchable by google, as I recently discovered after seeing my running log entry pop up on page 4-5 of a google search under someone's somewhat unique last name, which log entry I then quickly edited.

bluerun

Super B****

ok, I think I got this.....  "keep my running log private" I believe still allows logged in members of RA to view your log (or you can set it up so that only members of your groups or members with a password to your log can view it).  the only option that allows the whole world to view your training log is the "everyone" option....  and it does mean EVERYONE!  and of course you can still make specific workouts private or notes private by checking the little boxes appropriately in each training log entry......

I don't think so... doesn't "private" mean nobody can see it?

Actually, here's an easy way to test that theory -- can you see my log??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DoppleBock

I do not care about the "World" ~ I want to block particular RA people

Lottie dottie everybody.  It is open to the world.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

mikeymike

ok, I think I got this.....  "keep my running log private" I believe still allows logged in members of RA to view your log

No. You have 4 options:

• Keep my running log private
            • Allow anyone with this password to view my log
            • Only allow members in my groups to view my logs
            • Allow everyone to see my running log

If you check "keep my running log private" then it's private. It doesn't matter whether it's a logged in user or anyone on the internet: nobody but you can view your log.

The only ways to restrict access to some subset of people is to use the password option or the members in my groups option.

Runners run

mikeymike

I do not care about the "World" ~ I want to block particular RA people

+1. The world could give a rat's ass about your training. It's the creeps on RA you need to worry about.

Runners run

Would be cool to block out the area around your home. IE: Strava, it gives you the ability to block the view a mile around your house.

Makes no difference to me. Someone with to much time on their hands could easily figure out where someone lives without having to look at the map of your latest run from home.

Get off my porch

mikeymike

Makes no difference to me. Someone with to much time on their hands could easily figure out where someone lives without having to look at the map of your latest run from home.

+1.

Not to mention there are literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of people who already know where I live, know what I look like, and see me running all the time. What are the odds of some random stranger on the internet using my running log to turn into a weirdo stalker versus all the people who sort of know me in real life? In either case, it wouldn't work out too well for them.

Runners run

kcam

+1.

Not to mention there are literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of people who already know where I live, know what I look like, and see me running all the time. What are the odds of some random stranger on the internet using my running log to turn into a weirdo stalker versus all the people who sort of know me in real life? In either case, it wouldn't work out too well for them.

Agree.  But I suppose women runners would have different concerns than males.  I also find it funny that when people post pictures of their cars they take the time to 'black' out the license plate.  As if people out on the road don't see this every single day but there's something magical about the people who see it on the internet.

xhristopher

As if people out on the road don't see this every single day but there's something magical about the people who see it on the internet.

How many of us here are used to having people in real life telling us that they "saw you running the the other day?" I get it plenty. I've even come across lots of you fake internet people in my training and in just about every damn race. Now that I think of it, you guys are stalking me ... or is it the other way round.

A Saucy Wench

Not that there is anything IN my log right now, but I keep the log public, the routes private, except for races, sometimes I will make those routes public.  But my default route setting is private.

And my route descriptions are pretty generic.  I dont get too specific, mostly because I am lazy.  "Neighborhood" is pretty much any random route near my house.  "Bad ass hills"  etc.  Sometimes that is a 4 mile route, sometimes that is a 10 mile loop.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Not that there is anything IN my log right now, but I keep the log public, the routes private, except for races, sometimes I will make those routes public.  But my default route setting is private.

And my route descriptions are pretty generic.  I dont get too specific, mostly because I am lazy.  "Neighborhood" is pretty much any random route near my house.  "Bad ass hills"  etc.  Sometimes that is a 4 mile route, sometimes that is a 10 mile loop.

This seems to work for me too.

steph  

Agree.  But I suppose women runners would have different concerns than males....

Yes, you are correct, we do. I have been stalked by an ex-boyfriend. Make no mistake, it is scary.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

A Saucy Wench

Yes, you are correct, we do. I have been stalked by an ex-boyfriend. Make no mistake, it is scary.

I suppose if I were actually being stalked I would just take my log down completely.  Wait -THAT's it, it isnt that I haven't been running, I just am going all stealth.  That's my excuse for my empty log.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Actually, here's an easy way to test that theory -- can you see my log??

nope.....  thanx

Tammarin.....