Vermont City Marathon this Sunday (Read 182 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nothing too secret or revolutionary. I bought Nuun hydration tablets and drank them (dissolved in a glass of water) 3-4 times a day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, then one on the morning of the race. I also had one in a bottle of water right after the race.

Other than that I did what I always do which is take a Gu roctane in the corral then 3 on the course (at 7, 14 and 21) with plain water. One thing I definitely noticed was I could drink more water in the race without getting that sloshy stomach feeling of having the water just sitting in my gut. I had no cramps at all and never felt all that dehydrated. Night and day from what happened to me at Boston.

Y'know, I have felt like a big, brothy bowl of soup the night before a race is helpful.  Might be the same principle.

xhristopher

Y'know, I have felt like a big, brothy bowl of soup the night before a race is helpful.  Might be the same principle.

Ya'll can pop the NUUN if you like but I ran the same warm VCM on Sunday and applied a slightly different pre-race hydration routine.

The evening before I had two Stone IPAs chased by a pint of 8% Heady Topper. I had absolutely zero issues with fuel or hydration during the race. In fact I ran a negative split and a BQ so it must work.

Based on my experience I have to recommend at least 40oz of IPA immediately prior to each marathon.

L Train

Well hell.  Now you tell me.

mikeymike

Well hell.  Now you tell me.

Hah.

Runners run

Joann Y

Heady Topper! We have one can left in the fridge. At least I think. If my husband didn't get to it. Might have to hide that until he forgets about it and then drink it before the next big race and then play dumb. What is that? No, no haven't seen it...

delicate flower

Speaking of restaurants, our gang had our recovery meal at the Istanbul Kebab House in Essex Jct.  Anyone ever eat there?  Maybe I was just starving, but that meal was awesome.

<3