6 days until 5k PR attempt...do I taper? (Read 240 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think the title says it all.  I just came off a week of 50 miles (high for me) and I want to make sure I am 100% for this 5k.  My current plan is to make this a cutback week and take the day off before the race.  I have this sneaking suspicion that more rest would be better for me than more running.  Thoughts?

**Ask me about streaking**

Know thyself ... but I would pretty much never take the day off before a 5k. If it's a 5k I care about I would make the 3 days before very easy days, with some strides.

Runners run

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Know thyself ...

Last year I took the 2 weeks prior to the race completely off (burnout).  The result was a PR.

I think my main issue is that I have conflicting goals of maintaining higher weekly mileage and trying to PR this race.

Thanks for those wise words.  Simple as they are, they have given me a broader perspective

I agree with Mikey, the day before the day before could be an off day if you need one. I had a 5k pr a couple weeks back on  a Monday (Memorial Day). The week prior  I reduced mileage by 20-25% and everything I did was super slow and easy other than scheduled speed work Wednesday and Thursday. Took Saturday off, Sunday ran easy 3 or so with some strides. The next day was the race and my legs felt great.

I think my main issue is that I have conflicting goals of maintaining higher weekly mileage and trying to PR this race.

That's the thing. Decide which is more important. If you really want to nail the 5k then a pretty light few days leading up to it are probably best. If you're not that bothered about the 5k, then train on through and just see how it goes on the day.

this is always my issue as well, trying to find the right balance.   normally it seems to work out best for me that whenever I've had a harder effort day whether race/longer run day/track w/o etc   I usually make sure that I do an easier/shorter run  the day before & the day after.  my day off would be the 2nd day before or after.  Snce you are coming off your highest week ever (great job by the way on the 50 mile week!) then most definitely take it easy the week before as MikeyMike & Jaybar advised.  then depending on how you recover take a few days for easy running/recovery & right back into 40 + mile week & then ramp up again.

since you are trying to maintain higher weekly mileage you must have something else down the road that you are training for`??

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also, I'd suggest that it's difficult to deduce a rule from just one or two cases -- because so many other variables may be at play (your overall conditioning, your speed, your endurance, your level of rest, the level of competition, the course, the heat, the humidity).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

You may find yourself 'flat' if you take the day before completely off.  No matter what, you should go easy and short the day before but you don't need to taper in the marathon sense.  Weekly mileage doesn't really need to be dropped much, just need to  sharpen up some and take it easy for a day or two, if it's a goal race. 

General 5K stuff:  I never try to put all my eggs into one 5K basket ... you can race these things all the time.  I have a suspicion that most of us recreational racers would do better to not focus and peak for one specific 5K race but rather race a bunch of them and get faster as you go along.  Your own experience in 2012 might highlight this  ... you ran several races leading to your current PR.  It kind of  'callouses' your body and mind to 5K pace.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Jay - 25% decrease in mileage sounds good.  I will put special emphasis on running slow this week.

pr100 - You are right.  I want to nail this 5k...I need to prioritize being ready for it over other training goals.

Skyedog - thanks for the input.  I have a half marathon at the beggining of Sept. and a 50k at the end.  Really I'm just building up the miles to improve my base at this point.

amoresperros- I don't have any "hard" rules regardless...I'm flexible

Kencamet - I'm with you on that.  I think it's unlikely that I will be able to PR this race, as I haven't focused on 5k's or that kind of speed in a long time.  A few weeks on the 5k circuit I'm sure would net me a better time even if I didn't change anything else.  This one is going to have to be run on "guts" alone.  5k is not my focus this year...except for this 1 race because it is the first race I ever ran back in 2011.

Kencamet - I'm with you on that.  I think it's unlikely that I will be able to PR this race, as I haven't focused on 5k's or that kind of speed in a long time.

I wouldn't rule it out.  My times started dropping when I increased my mileage and started thinking of the 5k as a short duration, high intensity endurance race.  And a good hard-run 5k is good for your distance goals as well.  Best of luck, looking forward to hearing about your result.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Feeling the growl again

I think it's unlikely that I will be able to PR this race, as I haven't focused on 5k's or that kind of speed in a long time.

I ran my 5K PR off straight marathon training.  YMMV.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm not counting out the PR...I'm going for it!

Anyways...last PR came off of doing a lot of speedwork, not much base building...but I was fast and familiar with the necessary pace.  Now I'm the opposite...lots of endurance but unfamiliar with pushing that hard.  I think the thing to do is to actually race this race...there's historically been a group in the 18:30 range.  I'm strongly considering leaving the watch at home and just running for placement.  If I know me, it will either be a huge success or huge blow up.  I'll be sure to update this thread afterwards for all interested parties.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I ran a terribly managed race...but got the PR anyways.

19:06

Also set a 1 mile PR (never a good sign at mile 1)

5:35

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I ended up not doing a whole lot of running this week and just taking it easy.  I'm convinced rest is what I need before a race.

only in my dreams could I pull off a "terribly managed" 19:06       great job!

kcam

only in my dreams could I pull off a "terribly managed" 19:06       great job!

5:35, then 13:31 for the last 2.1 = OUCH!

But, still, way to go  - congrats on the PR!  This is where more racing comes into play ... better pace control in that first mile will get you a faster PR.