Length of Marathon Training (Read 999 times)

mb1973

At the moment I am a 20-25 mpw runner planning on running the Myrtle Beach Marathon in February of 2009. I plan on building up to about a 35-40 mpw base by the time I get in to a training program. I am thinking of using one of the Pfitzinger 55 mpw programs. My question is this: Should I go with the 18/55 or 24/55 program?

Lazy idiot

Have you done training programs of either length before? If so, what were your experiences with either? I think for most people it's finding out what works for you. If you had a good experience with one or the other, I'd stick with it. If you've never done either, pick whichever seems to fit your personality. For me, it's worth remembering that 24 weeks is almost six months. That's a long time to be training for one single race. Later this year, I'll be doing an extremely modified 18-week plan.

Tick tock

mb1973

For my last marathon I did a plan from CR...I believe it was 16-18 weeks....That plan worked well but I was thinking if I went to an extended program (24 weeks) it may make me a little more prepared...When I pick a program I usually stick with it to a T because I just don't have enough experience to modify it and feel comfortable that I am doing the right training...

Lazy idiot

For my last marathon I did a plan from CR...I believe it was 16-18 weeks....That plan worked well but I was thinking if I went to an extended program (24 weeks) it may make me a little more prepared...When I pick a program I usually stick with it to a T because I just don't have enough experience to modify it and feel comfortable that I am doing the right training...
          I understand the hesitation. I think if you have a nice base (I do not, but refuse to do a 24-week program on burnout principles), 18 weeks should be plenty.

Tick tock

Hannibal Granite

Every schedule written will have to be modified slightly here and there due to various reasons. Injury, illness, work/home/school stress, wanting to do a particular race when the prescribed schedule call for a long run etc. can and will come into play during a long-training cycle. Even the schedule I write for my athletes for the off-season (I coach at a small college) have to be changed or tweaked as life events intervene, and these are athletes I have worked with for several months-several years so I know what works for them and what doesn't. What you should be getting from those schedules written by one of the experts is a general outline of how to structure a training plan vs. a day-by-day schedule (even if that is what is given). Since you have already completed a marathon you probably have more experience and knowledge than you are giving yourself credit for, especially if you kept a log. At the very least you have gained knowledge of yourself if not general running knowledge. As for your original question my experience tells me 18-20 weeks is about the ideal amount of time. I'm assuming that during this period there are actual workouts going on (tempo runs, intervals, etc. about 2x per week) and that for a long indefinite period of time (at least a couple of months) previous to starting the schedule you have been putting in good mileage and doing a long run. That 18-20 weeks is long enough to repeat a few key workouts to see improvement as well as throw in a few tune-up races to really gauge fitness. It is also long enough that if I have a few down weeks for one of the above reasons I have either already done most of the training or I still have time to get most of it in. Much longer than that I tend to get stale/worn-down.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

At the moment I am a 20-25 mpw runner planning on running the Myrtle Beach Marathon in February of 2009. I plan on building up to about a 35-40 mpw base by the time I get in to a training program. I am thinking of using one of the Pfitzinger 55 mpw programs. My question is this: Should I go with the 18/55 or 24/55 program?
              I would follow what it says in his book. If you are looking to be at your absolute peak,then go with the 24/55 program. If you are not looking for an absolute best/peak, go with the 18/55 plan.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              jeffdonahue

For my first marathon I did a 22 week program and was burnt out by week 18-19 and the training (and thus, the marathon) really suffered. I think you can still build up your mileage safely over the 18 weeks.
                  I personally don't follow any specific program, I just run, making sure when I plan a full marathon, I am getting atleast a 20k run in per week, some tempo work (5 and 10k runs) atleast 2x a week, and make sure I run a few 30k, all within 12 - 18 weeks prior. thats what seems to work for me, as I can adjust around my work and family schedules to fit these training runs in and not the other way around. I will be running my 9th full marathon this May 18(Halifax Bluenose International Marathon), I expect a finish time in the 3:20 - 3:30 range, I need a 3:15 to qualify for Boston next year, but that will hopefully happen this fall. I think its all about finding what works for you. Smile
                    I'm going to start a 20 week program from the old CR site, within the next 2 weeks. It is suppose to be for advanced runners (Which I am not). However it starts at 32 miles per week and peaks at a 60 miles week. Since I've run 4, 60+ mile weeks already this Winter and Average over 50 miles per week for the entire Winter, I feel I can follow it quite easily. Surprised that it is billed for "Advanced runners"

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Hawt and sexy

I peak in 8 weeks. Therefore, when I use one of Pfitz's programs, I only use the last 8 weeks. I really don't know if that helps you or not. I guess my point is, just because a program is XX weeks long, it does not mean that you need to use the whole thing. Chop it up as needed. It is perfectly fine to think on your own and just use the plan for ideas. Do it up.

I'm touching your pants.

I used the Benji Durden 15 week plan once and got in my best maraton shape in years. It's based more on time than miles. It a complete plan incorporating hill workouts, tempo runs, intervals, long runs and shorter races. Here is the link to the full plan http://www.k-b-c.com/marathon.htm My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                        Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                        milkbaby

What is the beginning mileage of the Pfitzinger/Douglas 55mpw plans? If it is 35-40 mpw, and you are somebody who can stay focused, then I think 24/55 spreads out the buildup over a longer time so you don't ramp up as quickly. So if you have problems increasing your mileage and/or intensity too quickly, you may be better off with the longer buildup just because you are minimizing your chances of injury. (That's just off the top of my head because I don't have the book in front of me.) One of my personal beliefs is that many people that get injured during marathon training chose a plan that builds up faster than their body can handle it, whether that is due to insufficient running base, short running history, biomechanical issues, whatever... it is usually just too much too soon that usually causes people to get injured and mess up their training. Just because some author writes if you ran 30 mpw for 8 weeks then you are ready to follow their marathon training plan doesn't mean it's true for you! Unless it was on the internet, because we all know if it's on the internet it MUST be true... Roll eyes
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Hawt and sexy

But this is not the internet, this is the Trenternet. Big grin

I'm touching your pants.