From 0 to 10 miles in 3 1/2 months (Read 1097 times)

Wow, thanks everybody for your kind replies! You certainly seem a friendly bunch over at this board :) By overweight I mean QUITE oveweight, 1m88 and 105kg (that's about 6ft 2 and 230 lb), around 35lbs overweight (because of my constitution I simply can't go below 90kg, I did once and people began to make fun of me... :p), with a real sedentary life (damn, THAT was the word I was looking for, not "stagnant"): when I was younger I used to play football but I've actually never been so very fit. Thanks for that link to the couch-to-5K program! It seems a good starting point. I am not looking for losing weigh just for cosmetic purposes (after all, that kind of self-improvement is masturbation, right kooky? Beautiful post! ;) ) but I just want to feel healthier, stop being tired after walking for 30 minutes, sleep better and overall just feel better. That objective in the title of my thread is because I saw a banner announcing a 10-mile race in my town (guess when...), and it seemed a good objective to make me get off the freaking couch every afternoon. I think I'll follow the couch-to-5K program first, and I'll decide running it or not after improving a little bit my ruinous fitness. I have some shoes I've been using on a daily basis for ~1.5 years (Mizuno Wave-something) which I don't think that will be the most appropriate choice. Should I get myself a new pair or will they do the trick for now? Oh, nevermind, I'll search through previous threads in this forum, I'm sure there'll be plenty of threads asking for advice on what to look for in new shoes. Oh, and thanks for bearing with my english! I know it kinda stinks :o)
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have some shoes I've been using on a daily basis for ~1.5 years (Mizuno Wave-something) which I don't think that will be the most appropriate choice. Should I get myself a new pair or will they do the trick for now? Oh, nevermind, I'll search through previous threads in this forum, I'm sure there'll be plenty of threads asking for advice on what to look for in new shoes. Oh, and thanks for bearing with my english! I know it kinda stinks :o)
      I would definitely get new shoes--even if they are the same model. The cushioning isn't supposed to hold up more than 6 months or so, even if they are kept pristine in the box. But if you can get fitted at a running store that's your best option, as they will help match you with the ideal shoe for your needs. Smile And I think your english is just fine. I wouldn't know it's not your first language. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

Good for you to get off the couch. I went from 0 (220lbs, at 5'6" i was definately overweight)- marathon in ~ 7 months (175 lbs).. not the most optimum way to do it but i needed a huge goal to keep me motivated and the marathon freaked me out enough to make me not slack off. Now I am at a point where i don't need a big goal, i actually enjoy running and it makes me feel great. Make sure you keep logging your runs and progress here..RunningAhead definitely helped me get better and keeps me motivated. I think Mizuno Wavesomething shoes wear down quite a bit faster especially if you're overweight ...like zoom^2 said, head down to the shoe store and get them to look at your running gait and recommend proper shoes. Have fun. Aloha, STeve
          I agree with everyone else. Get some new shoes. I love my Mizuno Wave Elixer's but they seem to be good for only about 250 miles before they need to be replaced. My dh has been having some issues with his Mizuno's. He loves the fit but Mizuno's tend not to offer much cushioning. Teresa
            Roark - the Couch to 5k program is a great place to start. I started that program last October and finished in December. I am currently working through a 5k training plan from the Runners World website to help me prepare for my first race next month. Definitely take the slow route in your training, there is no need to rush because you will have the rest of your life to run if you do it right Smile
            ---- Cynthia
              Roark, Listen to the group. I too thhought I could start with a 15k race in 3 months. Didn't take long for my body to letl me know that it was too much. So I came here and asked as you did for advise. Wingz, God Bless her, set me straight in just one post. I cut back my goal to a 5k race and enjoyed the training and the race when the time came. I am now training for a half marathon in May. BTW just over 26 months ago I was pushing 300 lbs (136kg ?) Today I am about where you are weight wise and just your hight. I am OFF the high blood pressure meds and have complete control of my diabetes sans meds too. Take it easy and work into this running and you'll see changes you never thought you would and enjoy the hell out getting there even more!! Oh and post your log. We WILL peak now and again and offer advise base on what you are doing. OK I won't much as I am new too, but there is a lot of talant and knowlege here so take advantave of it

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

va

Hi Roark: Welcome! I was 50 lbs overweight, 45 years old, when I started in August. It took me about 6 months before I could run 10 miles. Good luck.
                Chris UK

I started running last April 13th barely able to run a quarter mile. That was after a lay-off of 25+ years. I wouldn't say I was particularly overweight although that is one of the reasons that I started running again. I dropped 20lbs in the first few weeks/months of running and have stabilised around that point. I note from my log that I ran 10.2 miles on July 12th so more or less 3 months exactly. I also noted on my log "legs very heavy" so although this was on heavy pasture land it probably was a little bit too far too soon. But nevertheless do-able. One thing that helped me when I started out was to have imaginary markers and gauge my improvement from them. One particular field I tried (and failed at first) to run the full length of it. It took quite a few goes before I could do it - arriving gasping at the other end. Having achieved that I then tried running it both ways until one day ALLELUJA!! I managed to do it both ways.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM