Age Groups (Read 343 times)

Will run for scenery.

I haven't saved any of my age group awards either.Big grin

But a guy can hope....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

my youngest daughter got me to start saving bibs & awards about 2 yrs ago.  Wish I had started saving them 30 yrs ago.

Just wondering, what were race bibs made of decades ago?

Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

good question, don't really remember.  I do remember that at finish line they would write down the numbers & finish times by hand in most of the races.  one person would write down the # & another would write down the time, and of course results were not posted on-line the same day or within a few days.    gun timed, not chip timed.  you could either wait around until they finished or wait for results in the local paper the next week or local running club newsletter the next month.  at least thats what I can remember.

Just wondering, what were race bibs made of decades ago?

Big grin

FSBD

Peoples' kids are old enough that they can start having time to train again.  There is a reason that there is a dearth of men in their mid-30s running fast.

Ask me how I know.

I would have to agree with this.  I became a parent 6 weeks ago and my times are already slipping.  It's definitely worth it, but its still a little sad since I am a fairly new runner, and felt like I was making great progress, and now I kind of feel it slipping away.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

delicate flower

It just feels like bragging and that's not me. Maybe if my 5k times were under 20 minutes instead of 22-something, I'd feel like I really earned them.

You raced to the best of your ability and beat everyone else in your AG that showed up on race day.  I'd say you earned them.  I've got one 5K AG win (30-39) and won a pint glass.  I'm not a drinker, but that's the best damn pint glass ever.  Mine wasn't an impressive time either (23:27), but I'll take it.

Now that said, I'm a faster runner now and look forward to more AG wins.  Smile

<3

When I win an AG award you can bet I'll be keeping it.  I'll have worked my butt off for it.

And around here, there are some pretty freaking fast women in their 40's.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

SheCan

The ONLY awards I will ever get will be AG awards, so yes, I'm glad when I get them, and I don't throw away the metals or whatever when I get them.  I'm also in my late 40's and have noticed that many of the women in my age group have more competitive times then younger women.  I figure it just means I need to work harder.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

malaney64

You raced to the best of your ability and beat everyone else in your AG that showed up on race day.  I'd say you earned them.  I've got one 5K AG win (30-39) and won a pint glass.  I'm not a drinker, but that's the best damn pint glass ever.  Mine wasn't an impressive time either (23:27), but I'll take it.

Now that said, I'm a faster runner now and look forward to more AG wins.  Smile

It's nice that you still have competitive fire. Mine has changed over the years. When I was in my 20's and I'd finish 4th in my AG, I'd think "Man, if I had just done some speedwork recently, I bet I could've beat that guy and come in 3rd." Now when I finish 4th, I think "Man, if that guy had slept in this morning, I'd have come in 3rd."

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

25 years of running. 3 AG awards. 2nd in AG(4 M)because all the fast guys stayed home (50/54). Finished 3 in a 10k but no awards give (3 -29). I have  2nd in AG for a marathon(BQ). Nice glass plaque. No more AG awards for me. Osteoarthritis in knee.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

25 years of running. 3 AG awards. 2nd in AG(4 M)because all the fast guys stayed home (50/54). Finished 3 in a 10k but no awards give (3 -29). I have  2nd in AG for a marathon(BQ). Nice glass plaque. No more AG awards for me. Osteoarthritis in knee.

Technology may catch up with you.  He got all the way up to a 10 minute mile on that treadmill thanks to bionics.

Julia1971

It's nice that you still have competitive fire. Mine has changed over the years. When I was in my 20's and I'd finish 4th in my AG, I'd think "Man, if I had just done some speedwork recently, I bet I could've beat that guy and come in 3rd." Now when I finish 4th, I think "Man, if that guy had slept in this morning, I'd have come in 3rd."

Seems like you need to do some speedwork.  Wink

Roses Revenge

I've found the best way to place in AG is to start old and get older.  1st race at any distance at age 64.  Most recent at age 71 gave me 3 1sts in 3 races in 3 days and a 3rd the day before that.  I've been top 3 in more than half the races I've done.Smile

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's the spirit!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

When I was in my 30's  quit running for 5 years because I had 2 small kids.

That whole 10 years I only ran about 2000 miles.

Now that my kids are grown I running more and plan on increasing.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mmmmm...beer

I value my AG awards much more than I do my generic finisher's medals.  I definitely need to be on my game when I turn 40 next year, as Kris mentioned (we live in the same area), it gets pretty competitive in that AG.  Luckily I'm still fairly new to running and hopefully have some more improving to do over the next few years.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!