Bulletproof Coffee (Read 309 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

FWIW, no coffee at all for me. Your theory may need adjusted.

RunNow

You weren't one of the 2. And its not a theory. Just a bored observation.

rmcj001

I'm not sure what Vibrams have to do with coffee.  For those who think putting butter in coffee is odd, how many of you think cream is ok?  I only ask, because butter is made from cream and cream contains a bit of butter.  Now, I don't put butter in my coffee and have very little interest in trying it.  But, the difference between butter and cream isn't a giant leap - more like the difference between skim and whole milk. Just because you don't understand it, or like it doesn't make it bad or a fad.

Oh, and yes I do run in Vibrams - last 6 years,  with 2100+ miles last year including a BQ.  Not a fad for me, YMMV.

Ray

beat

Break on through

Replacing a nutritious breakfast with two cups of bulletproof coffee doesn't sound reasonable to me. Each cup has two tablespoons of butter - a quarter stick of butter. Then there's the tablespoon of MCT - medium chain triglyceride - oil, basically coconut oil, in each cup. It's a huge amount of fat, with no protein and no carbohydrates.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

jicama

Did we win?

Replacing a nutritious breakfast with two cups of bulletproof coffee doesn't sound reasonable to me. Each cup has two tablespoons of butter - a quarter stick of butter. Then there's the tablespoon of MCT - medium chain triglyceride - oil, basically coconut oil, in each cup. It's a huge amount of fat, with no protein and no carbohydrates.

That's a loaded response!

1. What are you calling "a nutritious breakfast"?  Nobody agrees on what that is, so it needs to be defined.
            2. Eliminating protein & carbs in the morning is part of the "strategery".  Butter makes your pants fall off!

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

TortisHELL

Butter makes your pants fall off!

I thought it was Tequila

xhristopher

Due to this thread I'm getting a shitload (pun halfway intended) of Bulletproof Coffee ads here on RA.

Before anyone gets on my case for needing to make a donation ... I donated a couple years worth just last month. The issue is that you can't advance your subscription another year unless you renew on or after your anniversary date. I've not yet gotten around to sending in my bonus renewal to clear up the ads, which I will.

BeeRunB

Due to this thread I'm getting a shitload (pun halfway intended) of Bulletproof Coffee ads here on RA.

Before anyone gets on my case for needing to make a donation ... I donated a couple years worth just last month. The issue is that you can't advance your subscription another year unless you renew on or after your anniversary date. I've not yet gotten around to sending in my bonus renewal to clear up the ads, which I will.

We need to see receipts and credit card statements, until then you can't be one of the cool kids, and will be considered one of the ADdled.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I did some reading on this a few months ago.  Runners World has addressed the subject.  I was thinking about trying it but to do it the way that it is described seems expensive and time consuming and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth trying.

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/butter-in-your-coffee

If you look up the recipes it calls for very specific ingredients including grass-fed, unsalted butter, and other specific fats, like the Coconut oil.  To do it right they also prescribe specific coffee beans.

Again, for me, in the end I wasn't willing to layout the cash or put the time into trying a concoction that I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy drinking or that it would have the benefits described.

Very curious to see though if anyone else has gone and done this with the specific ingredients and what the outcome was in terms of taste and energy benefits.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

I just keep it simple. I make a cup of coffee, add about a teaspoon (or less) of coconut oil, mix it with a small electric hand-held mixer, and that's it. I'm not about to buy special coffee beans.

I agree that if it becomes a ordeal each time, a person is less likely to do it.  It's the same reason why my juicer is used a lot less often than the nutribullet.

I did some reading on this a few months ago.  Runners World has addressed the subject.  I was thinking about trying it but to do it the way that it is described seems expensive and time consuming and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth trying.

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/butter-in-your-coffee

If you look up the recipes it calls for very specific ingredients including grass-fed, unsalted butter, and other specific fats, like the Coconut oil.  To do it right they also prescribe specific coffee beans.

Again, for me, in the end I wasn't willing to layout the cash or put the time into trying a concoction that I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy drinking or that it would have the benefits described.

Very curious to see though if anyone else has gone and done this with the specific ingredients and what the outcome was in terms of taste and energy benefits.