Exercise suggestions for injury prevention (Read 203 times)

Dream Maker

i can't go back to the doc for these (no $$). I was going some experienced would have suggestions for exercises to do before they become serious issues.

1. Hip adductors are sore near the tendon after long runs even when no other muscle is sore.  In the past I had strained my right hip adductor and didn't take adequate time of and developed tendinopathy.  I went to therapy long enough to heal it but never did exercises to prevent it from coming back and I take the threat seriously.

2. Having a lot of arch pain in my left foot, the one that had the PF for two years. Also along the inside of the ankle. This got aggravated moving houses not running but it really hurts running.  When I had the PF it started out as arch pain then ended up in the heel.  I don't want to have this back. It knocked out any real fitness for two years; I'm just now getting some fitness back.

The right addyctor issue caused the left PF according to the physical therapist,  it's the only injuries I've had in fifteen years of running but I'll be damned if They haven't been hard to shake and I have no more cash for treating them, (circumstances change) so I would appreciate any exercise suggestions or links where I might find some. Thanks!  I google but I keep finding.., go to the doctor or stop running; And I've spent thousands doing that and I simply cannot afford it right now.  And the not running didn't solve anything.  Have done that too,

It's hard to say. Both of those injuries are so common among runners that almost anything, including just too much too soon, could be the root cause.

Re: #1, my first instinct is always core stability. Your hip adductors could be sore from over striding late in long runs when your core gets tired and your form gets sloppy.

#2 sounds eerily similar to what I've been dealing with lately. The most painful spot has moved from the middle of my foot, to my arch, to the back of the inside of my ankle (posterior tibial tenonitis) and rest doesn't seem to help it much. Yesterday after a 12-mile run, helping a friend move a treadmill into his basement, and most of a day of yard work, my ankle was killing me. Last night I tried alternating cold and hot buckets of water and that seemed to help a lot. This morning I had less pain than most recent mornings. Longer term I'm doing lots of one-legged squats and balance exercises to try and strengthen all the small stabilizing muscles in my foot.

I agree that doctors are generally a waste of money for stuff like this. If you haven't already, I'd pick up a copy of "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry and read it cover to cover twice.

Runners run

Joann Y

I agree that doctors are generally a waste of money for stuff like this. If you haven't already, I'd pick up a copy of "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry and read it cover to cover twice.

+1. Totally agree with both of these statements. Doctors just really don't have an interest in sports medicine, at least not to the degree that we would like them too. And this book takes a while to build some steam but things really do start to click and make sense. It is really worth reading twice.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I've found the only thing that helps with my chronic issues is continual attention to mobility work.  I have a wonky left piriformis and what is sort of touch-and-go heel pain in my right foot (they're probably related -- my SI joint was out of alignment for months and PT has only recently fixed it.)

I just read Starrett's Ready to Run and while it's worth it to think critically about some of the recommendations, I've really tried to focus on warming up and mobility work -- the idea that to fix a hotspot you have to work above it and below it has been very helpful.  For example, to get my heel to feel better I have to spend a lot of time working on my calf muscles, which aren't hurting but are tight enough to screw up my foot.

Google "MYRTL" for hip exercises -- it's a pretty simple routine but it's been helpful for me.

Doctors just really don't have an interest in sports medicine, at least not to the degree that we would like them too.

And I wasn't trashing doctors. I can't say I blame them. I almost never go to doctors for running injuries mostly because it seems like a giant waste of healthcare resources ... expecting a doctor to fix whatever self-inflicted, non-life threatening injury I've sustained while pursuing some silly hobby beyond a level that's reasonable for health and fitness, when I'm extremely unlikely to follow the prescribed treatment (rest, run less, etc.) anyway.

Runners run

Joann Y

And I wasn't trashing doctors. I can't say I blame them. I almost never go to doctors for running injuries mostly because it seems like a giant waste of healthcare resources ... expecting a doctor to fix whatever self-inflicted, non-life threatening injury I've sustained while pursuing some silly hobby beyond a level that's reasonable for health and fitness, when I'm extremely unlikely to follow the prescribed treatment (rest, run less, etc.) anyway.

I got it, I didn't think you were trashing doctors at all. I avoid doctors for the same reasons (and also I know too many of them personally to put full faith in them! ha!). For whatever reason, probably the ones you mention above, they just don't think like an athlete unless they are one. And even then, they would need to be a runner to really get it. Having worked as a physical therapy tech eons ago, I can say that physical therapists are much much more knowledgeable about this stuff. And they are interested. You do kind of need to know how to appropriately triage yourself (should I do this on my own, see a PT, or see an MD - and then which type). I think ultimately it comes down to knowing your body and educating yourself. That's where the Dicharry book really comes in. He does a nice job for the person running beyond any amount that is reasonable for a normal person and is completely obsessed with fine-tuning his or her machine.

MTA: for hyperbole. You can be a normal person and not completely obsessed and still reap the benefits of this book.

obiebyke

My PT and my friend who's a head college XC and track coach both preach clamshells for all things runner.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Concerning Doctors - I agree they arent usually the best for dealing with this type of issue.     Last couple of times I had some injuries I convinced my Dr to refer me to a Sports Dr and he was really helpful.   This was a dr that specializes in sports injuries and he focuses on bikers, runners and weight lifters but all others too.  This was the first time I ever went to a Dr and got help for a running injury.

The regular Doctors normally told me to stop running and I'd heal up...

Champions are made when no one is watching

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

If you haven't already, I'd pick up a copy of "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry and read it cover to cover twice.

This book was my first thought and I'd also recommend it.  I have an ebook copy.  Having a hard copy may be better as I found myself going back and forth between what I was reading and referencing back to what I had already read... hard to do electronically.

Regardless of what format you use it is an excellent book.  Read it cover to cover.  Twice.  Then look at implementing some of the recommendations.  I've found that I'm going back to it to re-reference items within the book.  It's been well worth the money.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

pedaling fool

Strength training keeps me injury free, because it uses/strengthens areas that running just doesn't do too well on -- if you don't use it you lose it. So true.

Here are some ideas, I especially get good results out of deep squats, single leg squats, deadlifts, but do others as well. http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengthening-for-runners/

As others have said, the core muscles are very important also and don't forget the upper body.

Some injuries just take time and patience for them to heal. Your foot pain sounds very similar to mine, which I just incurred last week, I believe from doing speedwork without adequate warmup.

When I have injuries like that, I don't stop running, but I do limit my running to shorter/slower times, basically I don't record my times, so I don't feel pressured, because once I look at the watch I automatically want to speed up.

It's all about not causing pain, but at the same time not just stopping, at least that works for me.

MorisetteStevens

I've found the only thing that helps with my chronic issues is continual attention to mobility work. I just read Starrett's Ready to Run and while it's worth it to think critically about some of the recommendations, I've really tried to focus on warming up and mobility work.

an amazing likeness

I've found the only thing that helps with my chronic issues is continual attention to mobility work. I just read Starrett's Ready to Run and while it's worth it to think critically about some of the recommendations, I've really tried to focus on warming up and mobility work.

I've found the only thing that helps with my chronic issues is continual attention to mobility work.  I have a wonky left piriformis and what is sort of touch-and-go heel pain in my right foot (they're probably related -- my SI joint was out of alignment for months and PT has only recently fixed it.)

I just read Starrett's Ready to Run and while it's worth it to think critically about some of the recommendations, I've really tried to focus on warming up and mobility work -- the idea that to fix a hotspot you have to work above it and below it has been very helpful.  For example, to get my heel to feel better I have to spend a lot of time working on my calf muscles, which aren't hurting but are tight enough to screw up my foot.

Nice work there bot.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Chris Pinney

Funny. On a serious note , embee I did google myrtl stretches and it described issues I have had since last august..coming back strong now . It used to hurt all around the girdle..the you tube video was more concise, just reaffirms what I've been working on thanks.

Member Since 2008

My PT and my friend who's a head college XC and track coach both preach clamshells for all things runner.

What are clamshells?

What are clamshells?

http://www.menshealth.com/workout-center/e/clamshell/26249