Quick Survey: pre-marathon meal. Go! (Read 907 times)

#artbydmcbride

7 dry roasted almonds, cup of coffee with non-fat creamer

Runners run

Fig Newtons and an apple or 2. Cup of coffee with sugar and half and half.   Just some time before the race...

xor

I think that the pop tart idea originated with Trent.  

Harumf.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I don't have a sensitive GI system. So really anything.  A carb filled breakfast of whatever I have, Bagels, juice, cereal, peanut butter and jelly. Pancakes, whatever. Always coffee and plenty of fluids until I constantly have to pee. Nothing 'diet'. Gatoraide over G2.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Julia1971

1.  A bagel and coffee.  For Boston, I added a banana but sometimes they don't sit well so I'm looking for something else.  It will not include a "Pop-Tart" because I think they're gross untoasted.

2.  Breakfast (400 calories) 4 hours, snack (200 calories) 2 hours.  I think the timing works well,  Just need to up the calories. 

Well it varies, but since I ran one today it's fresh in my mind. I had a pb&j&b (pb&j with sliced bananas added) about 90 minutes-2 hrs. before the race. It was a good choice.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

JML

Harumf.

Really?  if so.....my apologies.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

ultramarathon/triathlete

PB&J (or nutella) on a lightly toasted english muffin or bagel w/ coffee 2 hours prior.

Same meal for all races.

Same here.  

1- 2 hours prior, depending on how early I can eat it.  Same meal for all races, except for shorter races it's half an english muffin.

I've tried big meals, no meals, other things and I've always come back to the English Muffin.  Works well for me. 

Also, for many races, if I think about it, I'll eat some kind of gel blocks or chomps when I head to the start line, which is typically about 15 minutes before the race starts.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

DukeDB

Peanut butter, raw honey, slice of wheat toast, banana, cup of coffee, 16 oz. water, 2 hours before the start.  Then sip regular gatorade waiting for the gun (not too much - 12 oz. or so).

jeffdonahue

Bowl of cereail, usually something not too heavy because I never feel like eating that morning but know I have to - Cheerios are usually good.

A banana

Usually an energy bar with some protein on the drive to the race with a bottle of water.  Though some races, I will eat some Pop-tarts on the way to the race instead.

I think that the pop tart idea originated with Trent. 

As did the Internet.

Runners run

npaden

Bowl of cereail, usually something not too heavy because I never feel like eating that morning but know I have to - Cheerios are usually good.

A banana

Usually an energy bar with some protein on the drive to the race with a bottle of water.  Though some races, I will eat some Pop-tarts on the way to the race instead.

I ate a couple bowls of cereal (I think it was cheerios too) with milk before a race and it didn't sit well with me at all.  I'm pretty sure it was the milk.  Maybe if I had just stuck with one bowl I would have been okay, but now I just stick with a bagel or two and a bannana.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runlikeagirI

Bonk Breaker bar, banana, coffee.. 2.5-3 hours before.

JML

As did the Internet.

Mr Gore says no.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

jfa

Swiss cheese and bacon omelet.

Large stack blueberry pancakes.

Coffee ,orange juice and milk.

Oh, must be taper induced hunger pains controlling my brain again.

Ack!