Anyone bought shoes at a "New Balance Running Store"? (Read 854 times)

derek

I need to get fitted for a new pair of shoes and the nearest running store is actually a New Balance store. Has anyone here bought shoes from such a store? Or should I make an effort to visit a store that sells other brands too? I took a look at the NB website and they seem to have a lot more shoe models than other brands so I'm thinking they should have something to fit whatever type of feet I have.

Derek

Why is it sideways?

Just replied to your question about foot pain. If the new shoe purchase has to do with remedying this pain, then you ought to find a running specialty store. If you find the right one, there's usually someone in there who's had your injury or who has seen a dozen of them and knows the shoe to fix it. The shoe might be a bit more expensive, but if it's the right one, you can just shop online after you find it. If you choose the NB store, just make sure there are some serious running geeks in there--ones who have experience with running, not with shoe propaganda.
        I bought my shoes at a NB store. The guy who helped me was awesome, I was very satisfied with both the shoes and the service.
        ---- Cynthia
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Our NB store is owned by the same guy who owns the leading running store chain (I think with 3 locations) in the area. When I bought a pair in there last Fall all 3 employees I talked to were avid runners, including one who is a cross country runner at my college alma mater. They all seemed very knowledgeable. I really love NB stuff. Mostly because I have wide feet and I am not limited only to the models they make in wides--they are all available in wide or even extra-wide for some more popular models. I also like the company's ethics. The shoes are made in the US and they do a lot to support some great charities, like Susan G. Komen and Girls On The Run. They also have a code of conduct that all of their sellers must abide by to retain their accounts with NB. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

NB is a great company that makes fabulous shoes. Their shoes happen not to work for me. If I were to walk into a NB store to buy shoes, chances are that I would walk out with shoes that feel good. But they would not be the best shoes for me. When I walk into the running store where I buy my shoes, he looks at a whole range of manufacturers and finds the best of all available shoes. Not just the best NB shoes.
            derek

I went to the NB store and got a new pair of shoes. I'm doing a 7-mile run tomorrow so I'll try them out. The sales person did confirm that I need a neutral cushioning shoe which is what the previous running store sales person had fitted me for.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which shoe did you end up with? What did you think of the service? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Which shoe did you end up with? What did you think of the service?
                  I got a pair of 1061's. They were $118 incl tax. I did a price search when I got home and that's pretty much what it would have cost if I tried ordering them online. The experience was much nicer than the last time I went to a speciality running store. I don't know if it's because it was mid week, but there was only one other customer and it just seemed as though the sales person wasn't in a hurry and he answered and discussed all my questions. I had my last 2 pairs of running shoes with me and he looked at the tread wear and we discussed the number of miles I had run on each. The previous running store I went to, it was on a weekened and the store itself was pretty busy. While the salesperson in there didn't rush me, I just got the feeling that I was taking too much of their time. That may have just been my percetpion based on seeing customers walking around with no sales people to help them. Both sales persons in both stores said I have neutral feet and needed a neutral cushonioning shoe, but the NB sales person spent more time discussing and explaining it. Of course, he may just have been a "better" sales person :-) The key would really be how my feet feel over the next week or so while running in the new shoes.

Derek