Cover Letter (Read 901 times)

Lazy idiot

Ooh...that would be a funny rec. For someone he's never met IRL. For all he knows I could be a 480# man named Hank! Wink k
    Pics aside, that's how I've always imagined you. j/k Tongue

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Me...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another question...would it be out of place to include in the cover letter that the driving distance is not of concern to me, as my spouse and son are already in that same town every weekday for school and work and that I am familiar with the area, as we lived there for 5 years (and I would kill to move back). k

~ Sarah Kay

t_runner

Another question...would it be out of place to include in the cover letter that the driving distance is not of concern to me, as my spouse and son are already in that same town every weekday for school and work and that I am familiar with the area, as we lived there for 5 years (and I would kill to move back).
          I'd vote to leave that part out of the letter.. keep the cover letter only covering your good points (like you did! and it sounds great). I've been part of interviewing/hiring at my current job, and I have never paid much attention to how far away they live, I just assume if they are applying, they are comfortable with what it will take to commute. You can always casually throw it into conversation if you get on the phone or an in person interview ("I love this area, used to live here, etc") I think Lynn's suggestion is good also. Anything to make it sound more like sales and less like fun Smile Good luck, sounds like a great opportunity!

madness baby

K, it sounds like it would be a great job for you! I would say that the paragraph about your fitness experience should go earlier 'cause it's so impressive. I would put it above the "since. . ." paragraph. I think it's the most relevant to the job and shows your commitment. I'm sitting at home crafting cover letters myself tonight. The job search for next year is already on! Keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck! Big grin
            deb
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

K, it sounds like it would be a great job for you! I would say that the paragraph about your fitness experience should go earlier 'cause it's so impressive. I would put it above the "since. . ." paragraph. I think it's the most relevant to the job and shows your commitment. I'm sitting at home crafting cover letters myself tonight. The job search for next year is already on! Keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck! Big grin
              Ooh, good point! And thanks! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I am applying for a job at a new fitness club down near did's work (and Dane's school...I'm determined we will live down that way, again). The resume is the relatively easy part...here's my ROUGH cover letter. I'd appreicate any feedback: ~~~~~ September 15, 2007 To Whom it May Concern: The accompanying resumé is in response to your job listing in the Muskegon Chronicle for a Customer Service Representative. As my credentials show, I have previous experience in several positions that require considerable rapport with the public. I am particularly interested in this position as it coordinates well with my personal interests. My related work experiences, combined with my enjoyment of physical fitness and ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds would prepare me well to work with the public in a health club environment. Since earning my second BA I have spent the past 6 years at home raising my son. In my spare time, I've enjoyed working independently as a candid portrait photographer and conducting in-home parties with The Body Shop at Home. In the past few years I have lost 50 lbs and nearly 18 months ago I rediscovered running and have since trained for and competed in an average of 6 races per year in distances from 5k to 25k, with the goal of running a full marathon in 2008. In addition to running I also enjoy working out at home using free weights, so I am no stranger to the benefits of excercise for weight loss and overall physical fitness. I'm confident that my academic and employment background, solid work ethic, enjoyment of regular exercise, and outgoing personality make me a well-rounded candidate for this position. I look forward to discussing your needs and my qualifications in more detail. Thank you in advance for your consideration. Sincerely, Kirsten .....
                Sounds good Kirsten! I would also substitute for the word "parties". I wouldn't eliminate the 4th paragraph, but would the specific race lengths along with your goal. So maybe something like "In the past few years I have successfully lost 50 lbs and 18 months ago I rediscovered running and have competed in several races per year. In addition to running I also enjoy working out at home using free weights, so I am no stranger to the benefits of excercise for weight loss and overall physical fitness." Since this is a health club you're applying for (thinking front desk?), I'd switch the 3rd and 4th paragraphs. Good luck! This would be so much fun. I loved it when I worked at a local health/ racquetball club. The best part was being able to use the club!!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds good Kirsten! I would also substitute for the word "parties". I wouldn't eliminate the 4th paragraph, but would the specific race lengths along with your goal. So maybe something like "In the past few years I have successfully lost 50 lbs and 18 months ago I rediscovered running and have competed in several races per year. In addition to running I also enjoy working out at home using free weights, so I am no stranger to the benefits of excercise for weight loss and overall physical fitness." Since this is a health club you're applying for (thinking front desk?), I'd switch the 3rd and 4th paragraphs. Good luck! This would be so much fun. I loved it when I worked at a local health/ racquetball club. The best part was being able to use the club!!
                  Great advice! Instead of parties I am using "in home sales events." Big grin Yeah, this job would be WAY perfect...I could take Dane to and from school most days, use the facility treadmills after work when weather is bad this Winter, likely work with a lot of "regulars." I love that sort of thing...low key, friendly, fun.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah, I'm so annoyed. 2 weeks since I mailed my resumé and no response. I called before mailing it to find out who to make it attn to...never heard anything. So I mailed it and called 3 days later to verify that it had been received--still no response. Damn. And I never heard back from Walgreens, either. I can't even get an interview for a one-hour lab at Walgreens, fer pete's sake. Guess that's what happens in an area with 8% unemployment. Having 2 BAs is definitely a disadvantage for finding entry-level work (I don't have the experience in anything to for positions that require experience). I'd be MUCH better off with just a HS diploma. I used to sub and liked it, but with so many teachers out-of-work there aren't even subbing jobs available for anyone without an actual teaching cert. Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Sorry to hear that Kirsten ... 2 cents worth of opinion from me. (It's not even real advice Smile) If you believe that you are the one for the job - show them! Be creative. If they don't respond and you've called and they still haven't responded - don't give up! Think about the job ... what is it really about. Then come up with some creative follow up ideas. There is a way to be persistent and enthusiastic without being a bother to them. I broke into Medical Sales from being a nurse. In that field "no sales experience = no sales job". But I didn't give up. Changed my approach a couple of times. I can see that you might be "overqualified" for the Walgreen's job. But the fitness club position should be right up your alley! ... Maybe send them a picture from your half and your official time. Write a little note saying something like: "All my training has paid off again. I would love to motivate your clients to make a positive change in their lives through exercise and experience the feeling of crossing a finish line." Keep in mind - they probably have 20 resumes on their desk they need to go through. The person that stands out most will get the job. Stand out! You can do it! Good luck! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks Gabe--I may just try that. Though I'm sort of wondering if they placed the ad out of legal obligation (the fitness club is part of a chain). They didn't even advertise in a local paper, just one an hour away. So it makes me think that they were required to advertise for a position they already had someone for, so they chose a paper that would not get a whole lot of interest for the job.

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Could be ... but don't overthink it. You are the one for the job - show them! Even if they have no position, they might keep you in mind for the next opening. Or they think of a way to fit you in part-time ... etc etc. Some jobs never get posted to begin with ... Start looking on websites as well - careerbuilder.com and such. Again - good luck and you can do it!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, I've been scouring Monster, the local papers, Career Builder, Michigan Works (the site that the state runs), etc. The dearth in jobs I am qualified for that wouldn't require driving at least an hour each way (and would pay enough to even justify the drive) is awful. Heck, our state government is about to shut down over lack of a budget. If did didn't have a good job I doubt we'd stay in MI. The job situation is terrible, but even if we wanted to move I'm not sure how we would sell our house--the housing market is just as stagnant. Great time to be a buyer, but not good for sellers at all.

~ Sarah Kay