POP QUIZ: Nutritional Info (Read 966 times)

I LOVE popcorn. The bags are full of all kinds of nasty oils that will go straight to your coronary arteries. Just like the food industry to make something basically healthy into something nasty. I have a bowl (bought in Wally Mart) the is narrow on the bottom and has a loose fitting top. I dump about 1/3 cup of plain popcorn in it and within 3 minutes, its done. No oils needed. Just as fast as the bagged stuff. Can use the bowl for baking, cooking, microwaving and serving, too. $7.00 and had it for 3 years now. But I can't resist putting butter on it when it's done. Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

andyndallas

Your initial statements go against each other. First it says that the serving size is 2tbs unpopped (about 5 cup popped) Then below it says amount per serving is 2 t unpopped 1 cup popped.
      ...and miles to go before I sleep

flatland mountaineer

Odd since popcorn is simply popped corn.
        Actually it's not, it is a specialty grain different from field corn and sweet corn. Look at the kernal and notice there is no dent and a smooth seed coat that makes it pop as the moisture inside the kernal expands when heated.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just a few more tips from a grower; popcorn pops best about 13-14% moisture content so its best to seal the bag up with a twist tie or some other airtight container. Its nearly impossible to add moisture back to the kernal. At 70 degrees F and 30% relative humidity popcorn will come to an equilibrium moisture of 8.7% and that won't pop very well. Higher quality popcorn will have an abscense of scuffed kernals, few kernals with the tips broke off and be of large seed size with no small kernals, and have a bright shiny seed coat (no greenish tint). Any deep scuffs will hurt the pop. Resist the urge to buy white popcorn as it usually has less expansion and to me it has less flavor. Processors use it in the "light" microwave stuff as the public has a general preception it is "lighter" in calories, its basically the same.
          Good info, thanks. I find that the paper bag works fine, but there do remain some unpopped kernels. It sounds as if I used something more airtight I would have a higher pop rate. But the few unpoppeds I have is not much of a bother.
          Actually it's not, it is a specialty grain different from field corn and sweet corn.
          Absolutely correct. But pop corn is still corn Wink

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Actually it's not, it is a specialty grain different from field corn and sweet corn. Look at the kernal and notice there is no dent and a smooth seed coat that makes it pop as the moisture inside the kernal expands when heated.
            Actually it's not. The mentioned seed coat keeps the moisture from escaping and expanding creating pressure inside the kernal. Once the pressure inside over comes the failure point of the seed coat it pops. Thankfully this failure point is rather uniform in a batch of popcorn leaving us with only a few old maids depending on mode of popping. Typically in my experience a method using some oil is best, as it combined with the large surface area of the device (see Stir Crazy above) provide more uniform heating and fewer old maids.

flatland mountaineer

Actually it's not. The mentioned seed coat keeps the moisture from escaping and expanding creating pressure inside the kernal. Once the pressure inside over comes the failure point of the seed coat it pops. Thankfully this failure point is rather uniform in a batch of popcorn leaving us with only a few old maids depending on mode of popping. Typically in my experience a method using some oil is best, as it combined with the large surface area of the device (see Stir Crazy above) provide more uniform heating and fewer old maids.
              Yup, you said it much better Smile, one of the quality tests that the processors do is the iodine test.The seeds are immersed in iodine which will show any cracks or scuffs in the seed coat. Which would vent off before enough pressure was built up. Pop test are done with oil poppers and I agree that it probably gives a better pop. In the more than you ever want to know about popcorn category here is an info site. http://www.akacres.com/facts.html

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Your initial statements go against each other. First it says that the serving size is 2tbs unpopped (about 5 cup popped) Then below it says amount per serving is 2 t unpopped 1 cup popped.
                This is why I am so confused. I typed it exactly how it reads on the box. I tried to lay out the data in column form, but it didnt translate over to that way once it posted. the serving size is 2T unpopped or 5c popped. The amounts per serving are 2 headings of 2T unpopped and 1c popped, each with its own numbers for that column.