1600m vs 1 mile (Read 848 times)

I just ran the 1600m for this year's running club "summer decathlon" series, and bested my mile time (ran 5:55, mile PR is 5:59).  So if you get a chance, Eric, please see if you can split these PRs somehow in a way that satisfies the many views above.  Smile

thanks!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

joescott

So if you get a chance, Eric, please see if you can split these PRs somehow in a way that satisfies the many views above.  Smile

Perfect!  (As long as you don't split mine)!  Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

Hey Eric,

I ran a mile PR last night (no kidding, Lou Smile ).  And it was equivalently faster than any of my 1600 meter races, so I consider it my true, new, grown-up mile PR.  But it doesn't show up as my new mile PR.

Hast thou wrought something new and unholy?

Joe

MTA:  post script:  If your PR calculation just takes raw time for comparing those similar races, that's fine.  I'll disqualify the old PR that was a 1600m run (1 second faster in time, but when accounting for the 1.7 second difference between the distances the earlier 1600 was definitely about 1 second slower).

- Joe

I ran a mile PR last night (no kidding, Lou Smile ).  And it was equivalently faster than any of my 1600 meter races, so I consider it my true, new, grown-up mile PR.  But it doesn't show up as my new mile PR.

Hast thou wrought something new and unholy?

Joe, when I browse to your log and click on Personal Records, I see 4:51.90 as your mile PR, run 6/4/2013.  Not sure what you were looking at, but it seems like last night's race is your new PR.

joescott

Yeah, I disqualified the previous 1600m run so that this new one would show up properly as the PR.  And that's fine.  I realized after I typed the last message to Eric that his algorithm probably looks at time (not pace) to determine the PR for 1600/mile, which is a legit way to do it, so I've just made a manual adjustment & hence added the postscript.

- Joe

Haha.  All the more reason to have separate PRs, so you don't have to do the calculation (and disqualification) yourself.  Smile   (nice race, BTW)

Joe, when I browse to your log and click on Personal Records, I see 4:51.90 as your mile PR, run 6/4/2013.  Not sure what you were looking at, but it seems like last night's race is your new PR.

There's at least one part of this that needs to be in bold!

joescott

Thanks, Tom.  Still always having a little trouble not being a woosy boy 2nd and 3rd laps:  69-74-74-72 (approximately).  But, this predicts a 2:44 marathon according to McMillan, so that should be easy now.  Wink

- Joe

Thanks, Tom.  Still always having a little trouble not being a woosy boy 2nd and 3rd laps:  69-74-74-72 (approximately).  But, this predicts a 2:44 marathon according to McMillan, so that should be easy now.  Wink

To make you feel even better, Tinman's calculator predicts a 2:38!!