Richmond Marathon Race Plans (Read 642 times)

va

Richmond will be my first marathon. My target is 4:20, but I think I may be able to do a little better than this based on my recent 1:57:04 half marathon finish. McMillan predicts a 4:06:54, but I think this is too optimistic (and too risky to attempt). Given that background, this is my plan… Course I have divided the course into 4 segments: 1. First Half 2. Mile 13.1 to 15 – mostly downhill 3. Mile 15 to 18 – mostly uphill 4. Mile 18 to 26.2 – mostly downhill Pace --> Splits 1. First Half..................9:44 min/mile --> 2:07:30 2. Mile 13.1 to 15...........9:30 min/mile --> 2:25:33 3. Mile 15 to 18.............9:44 min/mile --> 2:54:45 This is a conservative “run the first half slowly” strategy. I don’t care how good I feel, how excited I am, or how many downhills there are, I will not run a single mile faster than 9:44 minutes in the first half. I shouldn't have much trouble sticking these first 3 splits. The big question lies in the final segment of 8.2 miles. My finish will be determined by what I have left at this point. Here are some possibilities… 4. Mile 18 to 26.2 Gold:..........9:30 --> 4:12:39 (2:05:09 second half) Silver:.........9:44 --> 4:14:34 (2:07:03 second half) Bronze:......10:00 --> 4:16:45 (2:09:15 second half) Aluminum:...10:23 --> 4:19:54 (2:12:23 second half) Tin:...........11:00 --> 4:24:57 (2:17:27 second half) Lead:.........12:00 --> 4:33:09 (2:25:39 second half) Comments? All feedback welcome. For others running Richmond, what is your plan?
      I don’t care how good I feel, how excited I am, or how many downhills there are, I will not run a single mile faster than 9:44 minutes in the first half.
      I hope you can stick with this, it's a very good formula for an unsucky marathon experience. I've been having a bitch of a time maintaining an appropriate pace, and that's just on training runs. Add in all the excitement of the day, and it is an even tougher assignment. When I mentioned that the McMillan prediction was ridonculously optimistic when I used 5K and HM times, I was pointed to the race time calculator right here on RA. Several posters have provided very positive feedback on it, and its prediction seems much more realistic for me. RunningAhead race time predictor Best of luck with your race Stephen, I hope you really enjoy it! MTA: link

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Dog-Love

Look forward to your report when its all behind you...and just really watch that first mile and adjust if you get that "horse out of the barn" start. Your plan looks like the one I will aim for at my next marathon.
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Your plan looks good to me Stephen. Love the way you've broken it down so that you have several thresholds of success rather than just one. I do this too - but normally only 2-3 levels. You will do great! You've done an amazing job with your running and weight loss this year! Good luck!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

va

When I mentioned that the McMillan prediction was ridonculously optimistic when I used 5K and HM times, I was pointed to the race time calculator right here on RA. Several posters have provided very positive feedback on it, and its prediction seems much more realistic for me.
            BadDawg, Thanks! I've used the RA predictor, as well. It give a range of predictions depending on what 2 races I plug in. I think primarily due to my inconsistent performances. When all is said and done I will be happy if I finish anywhere near 4:20. I suppose anything above 4:30 and I will be a bit disappointed.
            I do this too - but normally only 2-3 levels.
            Thanks Mike. I've seen the idea to pick three times before. Recently on RA, I forget who, described them as Gold, Silver, and Bronze. This is what I started out doing, but then realized, I really don't know what's going to happen in the last 8 miles, so I added a bunch more possibilities.

Another Passion

I suppose anything above 4:30 and I will be a bit disappointed. I really don't know what's going to happen in the last 8 miles, so I added a bunch more possibilities.
              All the work (and thought) and preparation you've put in to this is a victory already, Stephen. Finishing, and if within your goals, will just be icing on the cake my friend. Wink Wave to my sister and brother in law for me between miles 13 and 14 (they live in the Forest Hill and 41st street area). Have a GREAT race! Big grin (Modified to correct the mile markers for the wave to sis and bro in law)

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com