Flying to my 1st Marathon (Read 467 times)

I need some help from those who have flown to different marathon's. I am flying to Florida in two weeks for my first marathon and want to only have carry on bags. (dont want my race stuff to get lost). question....are gels, electrolites (tablets) and Accelerade powder allowed in my carry on bag? I don't want to check a bag just for this stuff but also don't want the TSA to confiscate my stuff. Can anybody help me with this?
    ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I flew to the Miami marathon a cuple of weeks ago and did not have nay problem with gels, blocks, succeed tabs, powders etc. Just make sure you don't have liquids and you'll be fine.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Imminent Catastrophe

Tablets and powder are fine. The gels might be a problem, just put them in the plastic baggie along with your other gels/liquids. You are wise to not check your race gear.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Yes, gels are a "problem" - I didn't have any issues with them going down to DC for Marine Corps last year, but coming back they made me put them into a small plastic bag. If you are flying out of a small airport, you'll probably be fine and don't have to worry about it. Either way, throw all of your "liquids" and such into a small plastic bag (quart size, I think, although you'd need to look it up for specifics) and take it out of your carry on to put in the gray bucket when you pass through security so that they can look at it easily in the x-ray machine. Worst case scenario, they throw them into the trash behind you and don't give you an opportunity to fish 'em out, so you have to replace them when you get where you are going. I've never had any trouble though, and only had to actually separate them out the one time on my way home from DC.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks! I will plan on putting them in a clear ziploc and pulling them out when I go thru security. I am sure I can replace them at the Expo if i absolutely have to. Thanks again for the replies!
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Gels are fine. I had them in a zip lock bag. The security guard scrutinized them a bit not sure what to make of them and then waved me through.
                Here's what we did when we flew to Chicago for the marathon. We called our hotel and asked if they would hold a package for us to pick up at check-in. It was no problem. So we sent our gels, powders, snacks, etc. Pretty much all of our consumables. It worked out great.
                  Check out this link. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm