Pre Race Preparation - Getting Yourself Mentally Ready (Read 144 times)

yourworldwithin

Howdy!

In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of racing is the mental preparation before the race.  I feel as though this is often overlooked in running blogs/forums.  I was hoping that I could hear from the community about how you all prepare yourselves for the mental component of a race.  What do you do, what do you read, listen to etc?  Any tips or tricks?  I recently started a blog about the topic (I'll attach a link below if you want to check it out), but am sure there are an infinite number of styles and routines!  Love to hear from you!

- Eddie

http://yourworldwithin.com/inspirational/defeating-your-greatest-opponent/

Member Since 2008

I feel that mental preparation starts the first time you lace up your shoes and decide to become a runner.  It's a process that builds as your base miles build.  I don't feel it's something you can turn on before a race.  If you have to do that your already a step behind.  It should be a continuation of your training.  This is just one man's opinion.

I try not to think too much about racing itself. I'm usually preoccupied by external factors such as morning meal, proper clothing, hydration, nutrition, knowing the route, etc. Once all that is taken care of, I'm good. That's why I try to follow a checklist so that I don't have to worry about missing anything. As long as all of my bases are covered, I can focus on fully listening to my body during the race.

Eddie my man, i have yet to run a race, likely in 2015 i'll do a few 1/2 marathons then whole enchilada in the fall. I don't think i'll need any "mental preparation". I'll just show up and run. I'll go through my normal morning routine, smoke a bowl, drink some coffee, drop a duece and grab a bite to eat, most likely oatmeal and fruit. So, in a nutshell my "pre-race" routine will be this. Smoke a bowl, coffee up, eat and MAYBE drink a few brews on the way to the event.

LRB

The mental aspect of racing is interwoven into my being and is easily my strong suit.  It is something I am always cognizant of be it race day or while out jogging on a Wednesday morning.

Visualization cues during training runs are big for me, going over different scenarios in my mind so that when a particular circumstance occurs in a race I am ready for it because I have seen it beforehand.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

mikeymike

As the430miler used to say, mentality > physicality.

Runners run

The mental aspect of racing is interwoven into my being and is easily my strong suit.  It is something I am always cognizant of be it race day or while out jogging on a Wednesday morning.

Visualization cues during training runs are big for me, going over different scenarios in my mind so that when a particular circumstance occurs in a race I am ready for it because I have seen it beforehand.

With you being a psychic and all, please tell us what kind of "circumstances" could arise during a race that we should be ready for. A machete weilding maniac? i 've got that one covered, i haul ass away from the person. suppose someone puts a 50-60lb test fishing line across the road and pulls it up trip a bunch of people? i'll assume that you would do as everybody else would, bust your ass. OR, you just run the race like everybody else and have good time, maybe a PR or something. I visualize several scenarios while i'm running, but they usually involve me and two girls at the same time though.

LRB

I visualize several scenarios while i'm running, but they usually involve me and two girls at the same time though.

Damn, you sir are winning (your name confirms this), while I am only dreaming about winning.

I feel that mental preparation starts the first time you lace up your shoes and decide to become a runner.  It's a process that builds as your base miles build.  I don't feel it's something you can turn on before a race.  If you have to do that your already a step behind.  It should be a continuation of your training.  This is just one man's opinion.

This is good advice and something I share. It's ongoing for sure and like you, when I turn up for a race (got one this Saturday) I just go out and do it.