Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want (Read 558 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My HDL levels have always been lower than they want them to be. My only way to increase them (or so I'm told) is to get more exercise or drink more alcohol. I believe that means I should run more and have those post run beers, right? :-)

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

diane_77

All things in moderation, as they say.  I still need to learn that.  I run, but I haven't lost an ounce of weight due to my diet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's kind of like that old weight-loss is 80% diet deal.  My very best blood work #s were when I was relatively inactive and eating NO processed carbs...only getting carbs from plants, no grains/potatoes/rice.  Eating a lot of fat...and saturated, at that.  Which is finally no longer being vilified as unhealthy.  Now the "healthy" low-fat movement is taking heat.

Running/cycling tend to make me irrationally hungry...and then I tend to make horrible food choices or overestimate the calories I need to replenish.  I found it MUCH easier to keep my weight in check when I wasn't doing anything cardio-based.  Stupid catch-22.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Strangely, running probably restricts my diet, rather than encouraging me to eat more.  The jostling just bothers my stomach so much I need to be extremely careful with what I eat before the run, after the run, the night before a long run, etc. etc.  I think that even if people don't have stomach problems, per se (though running often does trigger them), running can make you more conscious of what you eat in terms of nutrient quality, not less.  I mean, if you care about optimizing performance and recovery, anyhow.

The people who run solely BECAUSE they want to eat whatever they feel like are running to eat, not eating to run, and I don't respect that in the least.  I've said in another thread it's borderline exercise bulimic, for which I apologize, but I do think it's a troubling pattern.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I can see that my BP and cholesterol are up as I am up about 20 lbs. from my ridiculous low point (125) about 2 years ago.  We hardly ever eat big desserts or red meat.  Still have a lot of cheesy stuff like pizza.

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, well, I used to eat  a very healthy diet and exercise and my cholesterol was always high and my blood sugars were always borderline. 

I got depressed and lazy and injured and stomach issues have resulted in me eating more junk than ever (I get bouts of nausea that last for days and are only tamped down with white carbs and fat) and I weigh more than at any time in my entire life and my blood sugar and cholesterol is normal. Go figure.

But in regards to the article. I have known 2 very naturally skinny people in my life, both who didn't exercise much but could eat whatever and stay thin, and really - these arent the people who eat sporadically so it only SEEMS like they eat a lot.  Both of them were referred to as human garbage disposals by their wives.  Dinner size plates of fries with lunch.  Quarts of ice cream after dinner. And both of them ended up with cholesterol numbers in the high 300's/low 400's because nobody does a cholesterol check on a skinny 25 year old.  Jeff is super thin now because he is on a heart diet and has been forced to exercise and he can't possibly eat enough real food to keep the weight on.  Ass.

How much of the study of heart disease in endurance athletes has accounted for diet?  Because most of the really thin, really good endurance athletes I know eat a LOT of crap.    Is the exercise causing the damage or the food?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I heard about this and all I could think was "Duh."  But maybe that's because I have seen the result in myself when I indulge my constant butter cravings.

Leah, mother of dogs

BeeRunB

Screw these articles and the fear that they monger.

Pretty much we all die in our 70's, on average.

There are runners with heart disease. There are runners dying today of cancer.

Something is going to get you. When it's your time, it's your time.

There's nothing you can do about it.

Run, eat, live!

Die running,  leaving a good-looking corpse and lighter load for the pallbearers.

joescott

Run, eat, live!

Die running,  leaving a good-looking corpse and lighter load for the pallbearers.

+100000000000000     Hear, hear!!!!  That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

MOAR BUTTER!

Leah, mother of dogs

dallison

registered pw

If i can stay the same weight and eat what i want, that's what i'm going to do.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Run, eat, live!

Hoka hey!

BeeRunB

MOAR BUTTER!

WILD BOAR & WILD BUTTER!

SMART Approach

My personal feeling is that because of the excessive amounts of oxygen produced in higher mileage runners, there is also an excessive amount of inflammation and free radical production and thus oxidative damage in our bodies. This can contribute to disease. 3 hours of running a week may be good but more ??? Our natural defense system cannot keep up. I am a strong believer that we need more antioxidants to offset the damage. Food like fruits and veggies are great sources of antioxidants but preparation, growing methods and pesticides can negate some or many of these benefits. My favorites antioxidants in supplement form are absorbable curcumin, pomegranate, green tea, Co-Q 10 (ubiquinol form), PQQ, cocoa bean extract and grape seed all in absorbable standardized extracts. Check out the mitochondrial theory of aging. Co-Q 10 and PQQ help build and replenish mitochondria as does cocoa bean extract.

Also, most everyone has suboptimal levels of Vit D in their bodies for many reasons. Actually, probably over 90 % of us. This may make us more susceptible to major diseases. We all should be above a blood level of 50 for optimimum health and most of need 5000 IU of Vit D 3 or more pet day to get blood levels their. If heavier, you need more. Get your blood levels tested. Also, Vit k2 (which we are also deficient in) is crucial as it role is to transports calcium to where it belongs - the bones - rather than to soft tissues including arteries Where cacification may occur.  If you ingest calcium in supplement form (which I am not a believer in), you must take Vit k2. Just my two cents.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com