'Arthritis risk' for middle-aged exercise addicts (Read 684 times)

beachrun

I'm 57  and although my knees and hips are fine I'm starting to feel some arthritis in my fingers so I've been doing some research.  The science is very conflicting.  I want to be able to play golf with my grandkids  and keep hiking and biking.  I love my trail running but if there's a chance of messing up my knees or hips maybe I need to switch to the bike.

I know none of us want to believe this but......

"A US study of more than 200 people aged 45 to 55 and of "normal" weight found those doing the most exercise were the most likely to suffer knee damage.

Running and jumping may also do more damage to cartilage and ligaments than swimming and cycling, researchers said."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8380783.stm

My gut feeling is this...moderate low impact activity is protective of joints and generally good for one's health but running increases one's chances of getting of getting arthritis of the knees and hips.  Just talking with older previous runners seems to support this as several of them swear that running messed up their knees and hips.  Biking clubs are filled with ex-runners.

But then you see studies like this that say running does NOT increase arthritis. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

It's all so confusing and frustrating.  Stupid science.

Thoughts?

xor

Didn't read the article, but running does not do that.  Exercise ADDICTION (however they define it)... which may include hella lots of running... perhaps does. Perhaps.  Moderate running probably does not.

Feeling the growl again

My gut feeling is this...moderate low impact activity is protective of joints and generally good for one's health but running increases one's chances of getting of getting arthritis of the knees and hips.  Just talking with older previous runners seems to support this as several of them swear that running messed up their knees and hips.  Biking clubs are filled with ex-runners.

Biking clubs are full of ex-runners because they are fit people with a penchant for exercise, and when their body will no longer support a lot of running they move to the next best alternative.  That does not mean running caused their issues; hospitals are full of sedentary people getting knee and hip replacements.  But they aren't taking up biking so what you are seeing is IMHO a false association.

The bulk of the studies I have looked through lead me to conclude that if you don't have a cartilage injury, moderate running is probably protective.  In addition to joints, running has other benefits; you need to look at the whole picture.  As a group, people who stay active and exercise stay mobile a lot longer.  Once you damage cartilage, however, the positive effects on the joint from running are lost.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrNamtor

I think if you start having pain in the joints of your legs or hips you should re-evaluate your exercise regimen for sure.

I don't think you should give up something you love preemptively based on a study.  As you point out, another study will say something different. Personally, if i stopped doing everything some study said would be bad for me, I'd have to do nothing but work eat and sleep. And I'm sure there are studies out there with findings on how bad work is for you. Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my trail running but if there's a chance of messing up my knees or hips maybe I need to switch to the bike.

Biking clubs are filled with ex-runners.

<---

I f'd myself up way worse on a bike than I ever have running.  My experiment of 1 says running is less damaging than cycling, heh.  I get my long arm cast off [hopefully] tomorrow, then a few weeks of a short-arm cast or custom-molded hard brace.  I'll almost certainly be cleared to run before I can even ride indoors on the trainer. Black eye  Also there is reasonably high probability that I will end up with arthritis in my dominant wrist by my early 40s.

But I'd have greater risk of all sorts of arthritis if I engaged in neither sport.  From puberty until I started running in my early 30s I had chronically stiff and achey knees.  I no longer have that issue.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beachrun

Biking clubs are full of ex-runners because they are fit people with a penchant for exercise, and when their body will no longer support a lot of running they move to the next best alternative.  That does not mean running caused their issues; hospitals are full of sedentary people getting knee and hip replacements.  But they aren't taking up biking so what you are seeing is IMHO a false association.

The bulk of the studies I have looked through lead me to conclude that if you don't have a cartilage injury, moderate running is probably protective.  In addition to joints, running has other benefits; you need to look at the whole picture.  As a group, people who stay active and exercise stay mobile a lot longer.  Once you damage cartilage, however, the positive effects on the joint from running are lost.

I suspect...and want to believe... that what you say is true.   Also in my favor is that I'm slim and I mostly run trails.  Plus I don't run huge distance.  The most is usually around 18 miles on trail a week, six miles at a time.  It's hard to get as good a  workout on the bike.  Plus, I've a feeling the bike, particularly the mt bike, is hard on the neck.  Some years ago a chiropractor told me I had some signs of arthritis in the neck area.  That worries me more than the knees.

It's really crazy how conflicting the information is.  The fact that it is is evidence I suppose, that the relationship is not very strong at all.

xor

I'm continually mystified by runners who claim to prefer trails over roads because it is "easier on their bodies".  Yeah.  Not mine.  I love running trails, but I feel way more beat up.  And only trail runners wear blood, cuts, and scrapes as badges of honor.  When you bleed on the road, it's because you did something dumbass***.

*** Which I do. Repeatedly.  I fall on the sidewalk 2-3 times a year.  I have a probably permanent scar on my left arm from repeated sidewalk rash.

I should probably just walk.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's hard to get as good a  workout on the bike.

Pedal harder...uphill with a headwind. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

I don't think you should give up something you love preemptively based on a study.  As you point out, another study will say something different. Personally, if i stopped doing everything some study said would be bad for me, I'd have to do nothing but work eat and sleep. And I'm sure there are studies out there with findings on how bad work is for you. Big grin

Too Much Sleep Could Kill You, Claims Study

Too Much Food Can Kill You?

Working Could  Kill Us

Might as well sit around all day and shoot heroin. Can't argue with science.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Might as well sit around all day and shoot heroin. Can't argue with science.

Looks like I picked the wrong week...

~ Sarah Kay

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

According to my doctors, x-rays they've taken show far less signs of arthritis than typical of a man my age. Of course I'm still a youngster at 66 and have only been running for 45 years while accumulating over 73,000 miles. In addition I was given a 10% medical disability pension when I was discharged from the army as a result of a knee injury. Three years later in a follow-up exam the VA determined there was no longer any justification for the disability pension. By that time I was back running 50 mpw. My conclusion is the running is good for the knees and hips.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I have spinal arthritis and according to my doctor I'm a 44 yo guy with a 60 yo back.

The good news is that I had the same 60 yo back when I was 25. Apparently I'll catch up to my spine in 16 more years and we can all age gracefully together.

Does running help or hurt? I can't say that it hurts, and my doctor says there's no good evidence why it would -- as long as focus on good form and core strength.

The doc and I both agree on one thing: if I'm going to have arthritis anyway, I might as well not be fat and lazy. Works for me.

xor

Nice.  Thumbs up!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Both my knees have  over 20,000 miles.

My left has never hurt.

My right has bothered me since I was 30.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

beachrun

I'm continually mystified by runners who claim to prefer trails over roads because it is "easier on their bodies".  Yeah.  Not mine.  I love running trails, but I feel way more beat up.  And only trail runners wear blood, cuts, and scrapes as badges of honor.  When you bleed on the road, it's because you did something dumbass***.

*** Which I do. Repeatedly.  I fall on the sidewalk 2-3 times a year.  I have a probably permanent scar on my left arm from repeated sidewalk rash.

I should probably just walk.

Well my trails are pretty mellow, not very hilly, no rock, but yeah it's more of a workout than the road.  A lot more turns, changes in direction.  But the impact on the legs is less because the dirt is softer and there is good amount of leaves and pine needles.  That's the theory anyway.  I do occasionally get grabbed by a root snake and go for a tumble but I run so slowly the impact is minimal.