ULTRAWALKER - congrats! (Read 1119 times)

JakeKnight

Noticed your 50-miler on Saturday (no - you don't have privacy here. Get used to it. Wink ) Congrats! Am I right (based on my nosy trolling around your log) that it's a PR over the last couple years? Where is Sunmart anyway? (I'm nosy, yes, but too lazy to follow through. Sad, ain't it?) Well done! Really looking forward to doing my first 50 someday, but even though I'll be running some of it, I'd still be awful happy with your time. Can't believe you can almost break 11 hours without running a step.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WOW! That's amazing! I couldn't run it that fast, much less walk it! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Sunmart is held on trails in a state park outside of Huntsville, TX. It's the same place that the Rocky Raccoon series of races (25/50K in Nov, 50/100Mi in Feb). Nice place! Marshall is awesome! Way to go from one NTTR member to another)... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

Sunmart is held on trails in a state park outside of Huntsville, TX. It's the same place that the Rocky Raccoon series of races (25/50K in Nov, 50/100Mi in Feb). Nice place! Marshall is awesome! Way to go from one NTTR member to another)... Lynn B
          Is it just coincidence that all these ultras in Texas keep popping up in conversation ... or is Texas some sort of Mecca for ultra-runners/walkers?

mbk

Noticed your 50-miler on Saturday (no - you don't have privacy here. Get used to it. Wink ) Congrats! Am I right (based on my nosy trolling around your log) that it's a PR over the last couple years? Where is Sunmart anyway? (I'm nosy, yes, but too lazy to follow through. Sad, ain't it?) Well done! Really looking forward to doing my first 50 someday, but even though I'll be running some of it, I'd still be awful happy with your time. Can't believe you can almost break 11 hours without running a step.
            Hey, I just noticed this thread! Thanks for the congrats! Yes, I've done SunMart three years in a row: 2004: 11:47:50 2005: 11:27:04 2006: 11:12:55 It was a great day and I had a good time. If you want to read my race report, go here: http://ultrawalker.blogspot.com/2006/12/sunmart-2006-race-report.html Thanks again for the wishes!
            mbk

Is it just coincidence that all these ultras in Texas keep popping up in conversation ... or is Texas some sort of Mecca for ultra-runners/walkers?
              I'd have to say it is probably coincidence. Texas does have some great ultras, lots of great ultrarunners/walkers and at least two great ultra/trail clubs (North Texas Trail Runners and Hill Country Trail Runners) but probably it is the coincidence of jlynnbob and I both joining RunningAhead independent of each other. There are ultras in almost every state, but I would say the ultra "meccas" are Colorado or California, with Virginia running a close third. But like I said, there are great ultras in AR, PA, KS, WY, UT, NM, TN, etc., etc., etc.
              JakeKnight

I'd have to say it is probably coincidence. Texas does have some great ultras, lots of great ultrarunners/walkers and at least two great ultra/trail clubs (North Texas Trail Runners and Hill Country Trail Runners) but probably it is the coincidence of jlynnbob and I both joining RunningAhead independent of each other. There are ultras in almost every state, but I would say the ultra "meccas" are Colorado or California, with Virginia running a close third. But like I said, there are great ultras in AR, PA, KS, WY, UT, NM, TN, etc., etc., etc.
                Is there a good site that lists all ultras? Although I expect to be here in Cali soon, I'll probably spend most of the year back in Nashville, TN, and I've looked around for Tennessee ultras and not found many. I'd like to find a 50-k near Nashville. Let me know. Thanks!

mbk

Is there a good site that lists all ultras?
                  This is probably the best site: http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/calendar/index.shtml They list two 50ks in TN, one in January and one in October. Here's another site, this one lists the Strolling Jim 40 mile in TN: http://www.coachweber.com/ultramarathoncalendar.htm And here's one more big ol' list: http://www.run100s.com/races.htm Good luck. Let us know what you choose! Cool

You'll ruin your knees!

This one's over in Eastern part of Tennessee, great area and this is a "how to" for making the Stump Jump your first 50k... http://www.rockcreek.com/articles/trail_running/articles/Make_The_Stumpjump_Your_First_50k.asp I have a buddy that has done this one a couple of times and claims it is an awesome race. Not familiar with anything near Nashville, but I do seem to remember an ultra run on roads, maybe near Franklin...wouldn't advise the road thing... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)