Can calf raises lead to posterior shin splints? (Read 886 times)

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I haven't seen a doctor yet, but from my self diagnosis, I believe I have posterior shin splints which make it fairly painful to run. I'm taking a week off hoping that it's early enought to treat with rest. I'm not sure how I developed this - I've been running 25-30 mpw for 3 months with no issues, and before that average 15-20 mpw for a year. One thing different is that I started doing standing calf raises with heavier weights. Two weeks in a row, I did strenuous calf exercises on a Thursday night, followed by a long run 36 hours later on a Saturday morning. Typically 36 hours after a leg workout is when I feel the most sore, and on these occasions my calves were especially sore and tight. I did stretch before and after running (and working out), but by the middle of the following week I was suffering from posterior shin splints. Is this a likely cause-and-effect?

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

SMART Approach

Only way to know is to not do them for a few weeks and when you start up don't go so heavy and do some dorsiflexion exercises.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What are posterior shin splints? Confused
        sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

What are posterior shin splints? Confused
          They're also called "medial shin splints": http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/FootandAnkle/ShinSplints.asp I still haven't been to the doctor, but I think a visit to my podiatrist is in order. A few weeks ago he "adjusted" my custom orthotic, reducing the arch support a little, and from what I've been reading, the root cause of posterior shin splints is overpronation. Perhaps I just need more stability than I'm currently getting.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...