Possibly stupid garmin question, but is there a way to help it find a satellite faster? (Read 868 times)

an amazing likeness

Am I the only one who doesn't lose a signal indoors and just leaves it on when its sitting in its dock? It always has a signal.
    Yes, unless there is someone lurking here who lives in a yurt. Personally, I find the tin foil coatings installed to cut down on the gov't brain probes block the signal unless I'm near a window (with no screen installed). You are not the gawd, but apparently are a gawd and it extends to your Garmin's reception. Smile

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Am I the only one who doesn't lose a signal indoors and just leaves it on when its sitting in its dock? It always has a signal.
      Now that you mention it, I noticed that my 205 will find the satellites when I turn it on indoors. The 201 I used to use never did that. I noticed that the 205 performs better in wooded areas, too. I guess the stronger antenna works as advertised.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

I beleive that most of the GPS satellite network is in equatorial orbit (i.e. over the equator). So in the northern hemisphere, you need to point south to "see" them. This is also the reason why dishes for satellite TV are mounted on the south side of houses in the northern hemisphere.
        To answer my own question, GPS satellites are different than TV satellites. They orbit in 6 planes. I found this info on the Garmin site and Wikipedia.

Ross

Ringmaster

Hey, to JK and MrPH, you're right. I turned on my 205 today while I was INDOORS, waiting to check the weather satellite (ya can't be too careful in the friggin' sunshine state) and I got my satellites. Again, INDOORS. Thing was ready to go when I got outside. Brilliant! Thanks, guys!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

ultramarathon/triathlete

I agree to put it on the ground once you turn it on. Then do some light stretching. It should have the signal long before you've finished your quick streches.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team