How long should be the longer long run? (Read 292 times)

hectortrojan

I am not training for any race. I am doing easy runs on road/TM on weekdays and long runs on trails weekend. I have been running regularly 20+ miles for a little over six months. Easy runs are 40-60 minutes and long runs are 2-3 hour.

I am thinking about running longer than regular long run every 4-6 weeks. i.e. in addition of 40-60 minutes easy and 2-3 hour long run, run for 3:15 after 4-6 weeks. Run for 3:30-3:40 4-6 weeks after that and so on.

I am not talking about increasing the weekly long run. I am talking about running longer than long run every 4-6 weeks.

For example, I will keep my long runs on every Saturday for 2-3 hours and would run for 3:20 on July 30th. Would keep doing the long runs of 2-3 hours after that and would run for 3:40 on Sept 10th. Would keep doing the long run on Saturdays for 2-3 hours and would run for 4 hour on Oct 30th and so on..

What are your thoughts?

I think my running log is public. Please let me know if that is not the case.

I am not training for any race. I am doing easy runs on road/TM on weekdays and long runs on trails weekend. I have been running regularly 20+ miles for a little over six months. Easy runs are 40-60 minutes and long runs are 2-3 hour.

I am thinking about running longer than regular long run every 4-6 weeks. i.e. in addition of 40-60 minutes easy and 2-3 hour long run, run for 3:15 after 4-6 weeks. Run for 3:30-3:40 4-6 weeks after that and so on.

I am not talking about increasing the weekly long run. I am talking about running longer than long run every 4-6 weeks.

For example, I will keep my long runs on every Saturday for 2-3 hours and would run for 3:20 on July 30th. Would keep doing the long runs of 2-3 hours after that and would run for 3:40 on Sept 10th. Would keep doing the long run on Saturdays for 2-3 hours and would run for 4 hour on Oct 30th and so on..

What are your thoughts?

I think my running log is public. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Are you going to try for an ultra marathon event in the future?  Any particular reason why you want to run over 3-hours regularly instead of, say, run 2-hours more strongly (faster)?

hectortrojan

Are you going to try for an ultra marathon event in the future?  Any particular reason why you want to run over 3-hours regularly instead of, say, run 2-hours more strongly (faster)?

I have never crossed 17 miles and even if I go an ultra, it's not gonna happen for few years.

Reason I want to run for long time: I find trails running for longer more exciting and more enjoyable than running a fast race.

Gotcha.  Then there you have it--you got yourself an answer.  You enjoy running for a long time; why not?

I have never crossed 17 miles and even if I go an ultra, it's not gonna happen for few years.

Reason I want to run for long time: I find trails running for longer more exciting and more enjoyable than running a fast race.

Have fun! (I gave a longer answer over in RWOL)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

To me, this sounds like making a "race effort" every 4-6 weeks (not meaning that you would be racing or even thinking about pace, but you would be doing a workout that requires a longer recovery...like a race).  That sounds pretty normal to me.  Enjoy the long runs!

PS...here's a trail group http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trailer_Trash/

**Ask me about streaking**

running metalhead

How long should be the longer long run?

Long enough but not too long, at least not longer than the longest.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)