IT Band flared up from stairs (Read 766 times)

I am so mad right now. I ran stairs yesterday. Granted, I have not done them in a while, but did them yesterday.   I try to run the entire alphabet, but stopped at N.   Anyway, guess what?  My IT Band is all jacked up today.  I am so mad, since I'm going to NYC this weekend and planned on running in central park for the first time. 

I wish I was home now to ice it, roll it, and stretch it out.  That's the first thing I'm doing when I get home.  I am so mad at myself right now. 

My IT Band is always there, just waiting to flare up.   

- Anya

Clearly I'm no expert on your IT band, but I had issues in 2009 and randomly had it flair up again last weekend after a long run.  During my next run, as soon as I got the twinge I stopped and stretched it, maybe three times during that run after it was warmed up.  After the run I got out my running stick, and the whole thing was over before it began.  When I do my stretches now I can feel that it's still tight, because I feel it tugging on my knee when I stretch, but it's not tight enough to cause any problems.  When I had the issue in 2009 I went to a PT and it took months to get over it, yet all I needed to do was not ignore the discomfort, and continue to warm it up with a short run, and stretch it. 

http://0.tqn.com/d/sportsmedicine/1/G/r/7/itstretch2.JPG

Well...I'm glad it's not a marathon that you have this weekend.  Hope it goes away.

Best Present Ever

My sympathy!  

Thanks!

I just always do too much too soon, I guess. It would be  nice not to worry about it, but I always have to be on guard.  I was really caught by surprise though on this one.  Duh! 

- Anya

xor

What does running the alphabet mean?

What does running the alphabet mean?

You know, your ABC's!  

Come on, don't you ever count ?

- Anya

xor

Sorry, you lost me.  I know my ABCs. I know how to count.  I don't know what it means to run the alphabet.

Sorry, you lost me.  I know my ABCs. I know how to count.  I don't know what it means to run the alphabet.

Really ?  You've never kept track of reps by counting or doing the alphabet?  I do that type of thing all the time.  In this case, there is a huge set of stairs I run up, get this, 26 times.   Pretty clever , eh?

The stadium track I used to run around was one mile long, and I would run the "days of the week".   I  would always be thinking to myself   something like, " Man, it's only Wednesday, and my lunch hour "    Meaning I  still had the rest of the day, plus Thursday and Friday to go.  

Does that sound strange to you?  I have to play games like that for whatever reason, I'm not sure. 

I used to do the entire alphabet on these particular stairs, but it had been a while, and it bit me in the IT band.   Should have stopped at H  !

- Anya

I recently started singing the alphabet song while jogging.  I got to "G," before I thought, "Woa."  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

When I iced it today, I got to Z.   

- Anya

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, when I'm counting laps, running or swimming, I'm saying to myself, 2 completed, this is 3, 2 completed, this is 3...then I get distracted for a moment and start thinking is this 2 or 3 or do I have 3 completed or...where the heck am I?

I don't think doing the alphabet would help.  Maybe singing it would.

So, when I'm counting laps, running or swimming, I'm saying to myself, 2 completed, this is 3, 2 completed, this is 3...then I get distracted for a moment and start thinking is this 2 or 3 or do I have 3 completed or...where the heck am I?

I don't think doing the alphabet would help.  Maybe singing it would.

When I get to lap 3, I say 3,3, 3, 3, the enitre lap, until I get to 4.  Then I'm like 4, 4,4, until I get to 5.    My better half says it's wrong becuase I haven't actually done 4 yet, I'm just starting it. 

Whatevah !

- Anya

xor

When I keep track of laps, I count.  It has honestly never occurred to me to use the alphabet.  Tis why I asked.  Had I understood it, I would not have asked.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When I get to lap 3, I say 3,3, 3, 3, the enitre lap, until I get to 4.  Then I'm like 4, 4,4, until I get to 5.    My better half says it's wrong becuase I haven't actually done 4 yet, I'm just starting it. 

Whatevah !

I've tried that, but I start thinking a little more and I'll have four.  Can't help it.  Then I lose count.

Last night I saw a pretty clever lap counting technique.  A woman had a plastic water bottle with the ridges around it, and an elastic hairband around the bottle.  She just moved the hairband to the next ridge with each lap.  You'd need some sort of abacus system to count more than five laps, though.

I've tried that, but I start thinking a little more and I'll have four.  Can't help it.  Then I lose count.

Last night I saw a pretty clever lap counting technique.  A woman had a plastic water bottle with the ridges around it, and an elastic hairband around the bottle.  She just moved the hairband to the next ridge with each lap.  You'd need some sort of abacus system to count more than five laps, though.

In all seriousness, I use a mala.  If anything, it encourages me to lose track of the lap I'm on until I reach the end.  I like that.  I use the same 108-bead one all the time.  I wrap a rubber band X number of beads away from the starting bead, where X is my intended number of laps. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek