Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Ogden Maration May 2012 - I'm not convinced I can reach sub 3:30 yet. Would really like to qualify for Boston 3:45 at this race. 3:30 seems rather lofty. Runningatsixty has more confidence in me than I do. Smile

Ogden Maration May 2012 - I'm not convinced I can reach sub 3:30 yet. Would really like to qualify for Boston 3:45 at this race. 3:30 seems rather lofty. Runningatsixty has more confidence in me than I do. Smile

Good job Phaedra.  Signing up on the hopeful list is a good start!

Julia1971

I'm still wondering how much of an edge I need over my previous training to take off 4+ minutes and actually get the sub-3:30.  I'm thinking faster MP/tempo type runs than I had done, and some more weekly miles.  I'm doing a bit of bike cross training and core and stuff.  I'm also trying to lose a couple of pounds that should be lost.  Am I missing something?

I think you're on the right track.  From looking at your log, I would suggest stretching out your long run if you can.  I think you said upthread you tend to get injured if you go beyond 16?  Did you manage longer runs than that when you ran 3:34?  Similarly, I think a longer mid-week medium run might also help.  I guess this is all part of the more weekly miles part you mention.  And, I think rather than faster MP/tempo runs you probably want to stretch those out, too.  You want to get used to going "hard" for a longer periods of time, but not necessarily "fast". 

I'm neutral about the cross training and weight part.  I tend to just run when I'm marathon training but that's mostly because the other activities I like to do probably don't help much at the time.  Biking seems good, though, as far as overall fitness and flexibility in the legs.  And weight is such a tricky thing.  I'll take you at your word that you need to lose a couple.  I would just say not to get too obsessed with it.  I just think training is more important at this stage...  I can tell you I was heavier when I ran 3:27 than when I ran 3:37.  Granted, I'm talking vanity pounds - I was still "thin" both times.  But, I was fitter the second time and that was the difference.

I think you're on the right track.  From looking at your log, I would suggest stretching out your long run if you can.  I think you said upthread you tend to get injured if you go beyond 16?  Did you manage longer runs than that when you ran 3:34?  Similarly, I think a longer mid-week medium run might also help.  I guess this is all part of the more weekly miles part you mention.  And, I think rather than faster MP/tempo runs you probably want to stretch those out, too.  You want to get used to going "hard" for a longer periods of time, but not necessarily "fast". 

I'm neutral about the cross training and weight part.  I tend to just run when I'm marathon training but that's mostly because the other activities I like to do probably don't help much at the time.  Biking seems good, though, as far as overall fitness and flexibility in the legs.  And weight is such a tricky thing.  I'll take you at your word that you need to lose a couple.  I would just say not to get too obsessed with it.  I just think training is more important at this stage...  I can tell you I was heavier when I ran 3:27 than when I ran 3:37.  Granted, I'm talking vanity pounds - I was still "thin" both times.  But, I was fitter the second time and that was the difference.

I ran 18 miles last Friday (took PTO because I had too much going on on Saturday to get a long run in).  I don't recall if I have another 18 scheduled for this weekend or a 20, but I had planned on doing 5 20's, one after another every Saturday, before tapering.  This will depend on how my legs feel, if I'm not able to get in good runs for a few days after the 20, I'm not adding much value in doing so many.  I'm not going to run any further than 20.  No I don't get injured, I had done the Lydiard program last time around and its longest run was 16mi. 

Agree to the vanity pounds, it's the same way with me.  More toned means more muscle and therefore I'm a stronger runner.  Agree to the midweek 10, I have been lazy with that.  I've done 8's for the last three days, so I'm not that far off the 10.  Maybe I'll do a 10 today, thanks for the advice!

so I'm going to go on a slight tangent and further explain my comment of 'vanity pounds'.  I had this body fat test yesterday and got a 26.6% back!  Holy moly.  I don't really care if I lose any pounds, but I've clearly got to tone up and get that value down.  I'm not busting out at the seams, but holy crap 26.6 is high for a runner. 

Julia1971

Week 11 was the toughest, mileage-wise, in my training program.  The key workouts were a tempo run and 24 mile long run.

The tempo run went much better than they have been going.  The plan calls for running them at 15K-half pace but I’ve been running them at what I feel is “comfortably hard” which is much slower than those paces.  But this time, I dug in and did 7 miles at 7:25, which is right about where I want my 15K-Half pace to be.   So, I was happy with that.  The long run was drama filled only because I was debating whether to 1) cut it down to 22 miles since I was feeling like it was long run overkill, and 2) run it on the treadmill since it was 15-20 mph winds outside with 40 mph gusts.  In the end, I ran the whole distance and ran it outside.  There was a mile or two stretch where I felt I was running but the wind was just pushing me back but otherwise, it wasn't so bad.  And, it was the longest run I’ve ever run as far as time on my feet.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Miles Last Week: 88

Goal for This Week: I’ve completed the lactate threshold/endurance mesocycle and have moved on to race preparation!  I’m planning to do a 10 miler next Sunday, which means moving the program around a bit this week since Pfitz puts races on Saturdays so you can do a long run on Sunday.

I just ended another 80+ mile week (84) and am feeling great about it.  I changed my LT run (12 with 6@LT) from Friday to Saturday and bumped it by a mile. 

The LT miles went as good as they ever have--6:43 pace, HR in the intended zone (~85% HRR).  Put in a kick on the last mile and it felt awesome. The LT run was also done in some of the toughest wind I've felt in a long time--gusts broke 50mph!  That made it rough, but it seemed like even more of an accomplishment. 

Then, followed up Saturday's awesome 13 with 22.5 on the trails at John Bryan/Clifton Gorge.

Looking forward to next week, actually.  Really enjoying my training right now. My running streak is up to 115 days right now.  If I keep following this Pfitz plan I won't get a day totally off until May 7th! :-D

On another note, anyone know of marathons that allow dogs :-P.  My Rhodesian did 48 miles last week and 43 miles this week.  I think she's ready Wink.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

On another note, anyone know of marathons that allow dogs :-P.  My Rhodesian did 48 miles last week and 43 miles this week.  I think she's ready Wink.

A marathon might be a little long, but I think we have a race around here that allows dogs...  A few years back there was a 1-miler that had a owner/dog competition.  At the time, I had a greyhound and thought we'd be a shoe in if he could just drag me to the finish.  Smile But, he was dog-aggressive, so I didn't enter.

A marathon might be a little long, but I think we have a race around here that allows dogs...  A few years back there was a 1-miler that had a owner/dog competition.  At the time, I had a greyhound and thought we'd be a shoe in if he could just drag me to the finish.  Smile But, he was dog-aggressive, so I didn't enter.

A marathon's long for her now, I'm sure, to be honest.  Right now, she can handle 11-13 miles without really seeming that tired, but I'm hesitant to take her longer.  She's still young (almost two).  Ridgies are built for endurance running, though (bred to keep up with men on horseback--she must think I'm slow).  Heck, she's just fast walking on most runs.  I have to get into the  7s to get her to actually run! 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

I want to get a Ridgeback for a running partner! Wanted one years ago but ended up getting my Golden. She was a GREAT family dog but had way too many health issue's to let her run. She passed away in October at not quite 5 years old Sad

Anyway great running guys!!! I had a minor set back. Ended up at the doctors  major water retention I literally looked like i was 7-8 months pregnant. Gotta go back this coming Tuesday due to some abnormal results. Decided to just do what the legs felt like. Had a few days off and ran 50k today. The water is GONE but I still don't feel quite right. Anyway  one more long run and it will be time to taper for my 50 mile race in March. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

Anyway great running guys!!! I had a minor set back. Ended up at the doctors  major water retention I literally looked like i was 7-8 months pregnant. Gotta go back this coming Tuesday due to some abnormal results. Decided to just do what the legs felt like. Had a few days off and ran 50k today. The water is GONE but I still don't feel quite right. Anyway  one more long run and it will be time to taper for my 50 mile race in March. 

Gosh, I hope everything is alright.  Sounds a bit scary but hopefully the doctors can figure it out...  I bet you're looking forward to your taper.  You've been working!

holy crap you guys are putting in some awesome miles.  Surely you'll get a sub-3 at those distances and paces.  Get well soon mama

Gosh, I hope everything is alright.  Sounds a bit scary but hopefully the doctors can figure it out...  I bet you're looking forward to your taper.  You've been working!

OMG I can't wait for Taper. Until yesterday's run, my legs have been feeling much better than I thought they would. I actually have "dead" legs today and instead of doing 13 miles that was on schedule, did an hour of recovery. Makes me feel like maybe I've actually been getting some decent work in.

Water weight is all gone and for the most part I'm feeling much better. We'll see what the doctor has to say come tomorrow am.  Thanks Julia.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

holy crap you guys are putting in some awesome miles.  Surely you'll get a sub-3 at those distances and paces.  Get well soon mama

Thanks Aussie, now that the water weight is gone my stomach feels much better.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just hit my Taper. From 65 to 50 to 35 to 12(+26.2)?

I thought I wouldn't be contributing to this thread until the Fall, but RA seems to think I'm ready.

(Is it weird that I can't wait until this Marathon thing is over, so i can get back to logging miles?)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do