No running on Cipro? (Read 1548 times)

A Saucy Wench

The doctor I saw today prescribed Cipro (ear infection) and then said no running while I am taking it. 

yadda yadda.  Like that is gonna happen.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cipro?  For an ear infection?  Is the doc paying for the prescription?

And we wonder why our healthcare system is broken.

A Saucy Wench

Cipro?  For an ear infection?  Is the doc paying for the prescription?

And we wonder why our healthcare system is broken.

I take it there is no generic then?  Shit.  Because I am delaying the oral antibiotics for 2 days while I give the antibiotic ear drops a try.  And the antibiotic eyedrops (pink-eye).   But I went ahead and filled all 3 prescriptions because ...well because the kids were screaming in the back seat and I forgot to say to just hold the prescription until I call in.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eardrops?

Is it a swimmers' ear or a real ear infection (i.e., an infected eardrum)?  If it can be treated with drops it may be swimmers' ear.  It is rare to need pills of any kind for that.  If it is an infected middle ear/eardrup, drops won't do jack.

Unless you have an allergy, EVERY PRESCRIPTION GUIDELINE THAT EXISTS recommends starting with amoxicillin for ear (drum) infections.  Amoxicillin can cost pennies.  Cipro can cost loads, up to $100.  Even if it is covered, it is costing the healthcare system.  Cipro is usually saved as a third line choice, after the first two lines fail.

xor

huh.

I thought I was saying pretty much that in here...

...and I got a "naw".

Plus Amoxicillin won't increase the chances that your achiles tendons spontaneously rupture.......
              Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right SRL.  They both treat the same bugs, essentially (Cipro covers one type of organism that does not cause ear infections a little better, amox another kind a little better).  I totally agreed with your post about using Cipro as a last resort and about resistance.

The point that I was making in that post is this: it is not that Cipro is a badass antibiotic; in many ways it is very similar to amox.  It is just newer and more expensive and covers a slightly different range of bacteria (note: NOT the ones that cause ear infections).  Also, Cipro is probably a bit more likely to cause bacterial resistance than amox.  And Cipro has more side effects.

A Saucy Wench

Eardrops?

Is it a swimmers' ear or a real ear infection (i.e., an infected eardrum)?  If it can be treated with drops it may be swimmers' ear.  It is rare to need pills of any kind for that.  If it is an infected middle ear/eardrup, drops won't do jack.

Unless you have an allergy, EVERY PRESCRIPTION GUIDELINE THAT EXISTS recommends starting with amoxicillin for ear (drum) infections.  Amoxicillin can cost pennies.  Cipro can cost loads, up to $100.  Even if it is covered, it is costing the healthcare system.  Cipro is usually saved as a third line choice, after the first two lines fail.

He cant tell. I didnt have a first round thing like a cold preceding the infection so the guess is swimmers ear.  Although I have never in my life been susceptible to swimmers ear.

It is too inflamed in the ear canal for them to see the drum and inner ear.

I figured.  I balked at the Cipro when he mentioned tendons and he claimed it was the one most recommended for this type of infection.  Asshat.  He isnt my real doctor just the sub.  My dd gets ear infections secondary to swimmers ear  (the drum does get infected if we dont catch it fast) and she has never had Cipro.

xor

Right SRL.  They both treat the same bugs, essentially (Cipro covers one type of organism that does not cause ear infections a little better, amox another kind a little better).  I totally agreed with your post about using Cipro as a last resort and about resistance.

The point that I was making in that post is this: it is not that Cipro is a badass antibiotic; in many ways it is very similar to amox.  It is just newer and more expensive and covers a slightly different range of bacteria (note: NOT the ones that cause ear infections).  Also, Cipro is probably a bit more likely to cause bacterial resistance than amox.  And Cipro has more side effects.

Relative cost and severity of side effects and the idea that it is not the first line of defense (perhaps because of the first two things) were why I called it badass.  I should have said that.

A Saucy Wench

Well I got the pharmacy to hold that one.  I'm going to talk to my real doctor tomorrow.  I have too many problems with my achilles and PF as it is to mess with an antibiotic that increases the odds of tendon problems

Best Present Ever

He cant tell. I didnt have a first round thing like a cold preceding the infection so the guess is swimmers ear.  Although I have never in my life been susceptible to swimmers ear.

It is too inflamed in the ear canal for them to see the drum and inner ear.

I figured.  I balked at the Cipro when he mentioned tendons and he claimed it was the one most recommended for this type of infection.  Asshat.  He isnt my real doctor just the sub.  My dd gets ear infections secondary to swimmers ear  (the drum does get infected if we dont catch it fast) and she has never had Cipro.

too bad it's already dispensed, but it seems worth calling and getting an rx for amoxicillin so it doesn't screw with running.  Meanwhile, I hope you feel better fast.  Ear infections hurt. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I interpreted badass to mean better, stronger, meaner.  You might send Samuel L. Jackson in to do a hit as a first line choice if the target is truly dangerous.  But with Cipro, it is really more about matching the disease with the medication's spectrum.
                            Cipro's wallet is the one with "Bad Motherfucker" on it.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ennay: You're prescribin' Cipro?  

Trent: You happy now, motherfucker?

Ennay: Shit, Jew.  That's all you had to say!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Globbie is a good argument for this bill.