'Hot' yoga (Read 1216 times)

keeponrunning

Hi guys.  Back in November a studio for 'hot yoga' opened up.  It's basically yoga done in a 105F room.  It's supposed to increase flexibility, strength, and endurance.  I'm thinking of starting with my sister (whom I have very little in common with).  Has anybody tried it before? \What affect did it have on your running, if any? I've heard nothing bad about it from those who have tried it.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

running yogi

Love it.I feel deep cleansed after I come out of a class.

Never noticed any change in running, good or bad.

I went to Heated Yoga a number of times last year......  

It was a good workout and with the heat I found my body stretching easier and so I did gain some flexibility......it was fun......my instructor was a major BABE....BUT, I got so hot in the first few weeks, I had to go out of the room and recover.........SWEAT like a sow and there was some recovery time.....the day after heated yoga it was kind of hard to run.....you actually need to bring a t-shirt to change into afterward because you'll be totally soaked from sweat...

I like Yoga and liked heated YOGA but cant say for sure if it actually helped my running.   It was very good for overall fitness and a workout all in itself........I recommend you give it a shot see what you think.      I dont do the heated yoga any longer because it was my feeling that it wasn't helping me as much as I anticipated....but that doesn't mean you would feel the same way about it.

My instructor was a former professional dancer and focused a lot on the standing/balancing postures instead of the stretching types of postures..........which might be why it didn't help my running as much as I had hoped...

I started going to YEN YOGA which is long stretching and think it helps ME more than heated Hatha........(at least I like it better)

It wont hurt (thats for sure) I just cant say it will help your running - but will help your overall fitness.....and you'll probably like it.....you'll be flattened after the first few sessions..

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

It's really a matter of preference.  I love yoga.  I despise hot yoga.  But I also hate saunas and hot tubs. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

I clicked on this thread expecting pictures.  Imagine my disappointment.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

I hate saunas but did like the one hot yoga class I tried a couple weeks ago. They have it at my gym. They only keep the room at about 90-92 degrees with some humidity. This is plenty warm. Is 105 degrees necessary. The biggest thing I liked was the flexibility work. Really felt loose. Felt good! The class worked the core which is awesome but I do so much of that anyway so I did well with all the balancing stuff.  I would like to do more regularly but there is only so much time to work out and I am kinda of "high intensity" guy and prefer the weights and intervals on cardio machines for work outs on non running days.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jpdeaux

non running days.

Non-running days? I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Wink

Is 105 degrees necessary. 

I dont know if its necessary but when I took it, it was always 105 and that was too hot for me.....Had it been around 95 or so, I think I might have liked it better......

Champions are made when no one is watching

I clicked on this thread expecting pictures.  Imagine my disappointment.

Same here. This thread is worthless without pics

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

vegefrog

It's really a matter of preference.  I love yoga.  I despise hot yoga. 

ditto for me. Hot yoga is more of a cleansing, sweat it all out like those people who used to run on the treadmill in trash bags sort of thing.

I like a flowing yoga/pilates class for stretching my legs and opening up my upper body. My running is my cardio/weight loss tool, yoga is my relaxing restorative workout.

Dave

Same here. This thread is worthless without pics

I guess if you insist.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

wickedlady

I like it.  I think it's helped my running, too.... The breathing exercises and being mindful of the breath throughout class have translated to more breathing efficiency when running.  And it certainly helps with flexibility, and even more so with strength/muscle building.  I think it's a good counterpoint to running.  After the first month or so I sweat a lot less than I did in the beginning (but you still sweat a lot). 

SMART Approach

Non-running days? I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Wink

Wish my darn body, hammys and toe issue would allow me to run daily!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I guess if you insist.

Nice

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

I guess if you insist.

Gosh, Tebow is everywhere lately.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.