How long do you basebuild? (Read 1843 times)

Do you have a maximum amount of time you spend in basebuilding, or a maximum miles per week, or is it solely determined by goal races?

ETA - I didn't mean to post this but to send it in a message to an individual person but apparently I did.  So feel free to answer if you want or not if you don't.  Oops!

so...I'm going to be the first person to ask.  For what?

Are you talking about a marathon....or an ultra?

I think people will say base mileage of 50-70 for a decent marathon, 100+ miles for a ridiculous time (that's directed at you Perry), and 80+ for an ultra.  I read the ultra info yesterday on an ultra website, so that was just one person's opinion. 

I was mid 50's for my 3:39 marathon.

And then there's genes, age, and all that fun stuff. 

I have been running about 4 -5 years now, and have no idea what base building means.  My take on this is to run for a while and pick races appropriate to your mileage and temperament (some like to run fast, short races, some like marathons and Ultras) and pick a training plan that gets you to your race from your current mileage level and follow it. 

"Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast" seems to work for a lot of folks on this board.  What lots, easy and fast is up to you to decide, the fast for me is occasional races.

When I started running I figured a good 10 year base building period was the best - I am almost to year 8 ...

To answer your question it is dependent on so many things

1)  What is my current fitness level - The worse shape I am in, the longer I base build, sometimes I cut out speed training to lengthen my base building

2)  The length of time to goal race certainly will play into my base building strategy

3)  Ideally I like 2 cycles a year - About 20 weeks each.  With 4-8 weeks of base building depending on starting fitness level

4)  The type of race can determine base building period - For 24 hour racing, it is mainly all base building and not nearly as dependant on speed work

**  Reality is that I usually get fat between cycles and I am forced into base building until I lean down a bit.  Its hard to run anything but slow at 235-240 pounds.  2-3 months I get back downt to racing weight = 200#

Retired 1/1/13 

At this point, I tend to build base for whatever I have time for - race distance doesn't matter. Actually, I'm base building most of the time, but I do usually increase proportion of higher efforts, speed work, or hills by certain dates or when the snow melts - and that's when the races start.

It was approximately one week ago when I had my first snow-free, mud-free (as in post breakup) run this year. My first non-snow race is tomorrow, and it's my most technical race. When I tried to do some agility work (so as not to trip on rocks) a few weeks ago, the steps I had planned to use still had snow on them and were getting snowed on at the time. I did more hill work, but that's base.

When I first started, I was able to increase base over the years by running longer each day and then more frequent runs, but the last few years I don't seem to get above 30mpw in winter, 40-50 in summer, which is about 9hr/wk (varies around 8-12hr/wk in summer, 6-9hr/wk in winter). (all my runs are outside, most on trails)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Beginner all over again

One Year Base Building before my First HM,

But I was sedentary for a decade prior.

My weak performance in my first HM was actually a huge leap in fitness for me.

My 2nd HM will be Base Building 28 weeks and then Race Day.

I'm a non-competitive back-of-the-pack'er

as long as possible

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

registered for 1st full in 30 yrs in Nov.    so in essence have been "basebuilding" for approx 3 yrs (+ or -), although was not even thinking about running a marathon when started back up consistently back in 08.  I realize that you are looking for something more specific, but just added this to compliment what big boy stated- "as long as possible"

> How long do you basebuild?

For the rest of my (running) life.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject. - S.J.

As long as it is necessary

Hey Aussie Girl,

If you decide to go for an ultra marathon here is a great program for a 50 mile training program