Four steps to perfect marathon fueling (Read 873 times)

Go Pre!

For myself, I make sure that I have enough fuel to start the marathon, and take a gel packet every 30 or 40 minutes. I stop after about 2 hours and 20 minutes or so as I won't have enough time to process anything else anyway. I also take plenty of water as I go. Since I started doing this, I stopped hitting the wall.
    RTW - I would be interested to know your pre race week diet. thx Dave

Imminent Catastrophe

... How much you need to take in is highly dependant on your pace. If you're running at a relaxed and easy pace with a goal of simply finishing, you probably don't need to take on any calories--at those paces you're burning carbs to fat in about a 50/50 ratio and you have plenty of fuel stored to run well over 26 miles. The problem is that, for most of us, marathon race pace burns glycogen at a much faster clip than easy running so if we don't take in some sugar on the run, we'll bonk. This is exacerbated by the fact that going out just a tiny bit faster than race pace burns glycogen even faster and significantly reduces our fuel window. This is why aiming for a positive split and trying to "put some time in the bank" is usually a really bad idea.
      This is how people can run 100 or 135 miles. You can't do that if you're running a glycogen deficit. Scott Jurek can stay aerobic at a fast clip, he doesn't bonk.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

va

I got the book entitled "The Competitive Runner's Handbook". On pre-run fueling, it recommends: 1. a small high-carb meal (500 to 1000 calories) two to four hours prior to running 2. a high-carb snack (such as a bagel or energy bar) 1 hour before running 3. a sport drink or sports gel 5 to 15 minutes Btw, although I haven't read much, this looks like a good book. Does anybody else have an opinion of it? I tried to follow this fueling strategy on this morning's 20 mile run. For #1, 3 hours before my run, I had 1 cup of raisin bran w/skim milk (240 calories), 2 pop tarts (400 calories), a cup of tea, and some Gatorade. I had some indigestion (I think from the Pop Tarts), so I skipped #2. Next time I will replace the Pop Tarts with a Clif Bar and maybe drop the tea, and also try a Clif Bar 1 hour before. I find the Clif Bars tasty, satisfying, and not too sweet. I also tried the margarita w/salt flavored Clif Bloks on this run. They come 6 to a package, 30 calories each. I took 3 of these pre-run (#3 above) and one every 2 miles during the run. This is my first time trying the Clif Bloks, and I think they worked well. Although I didn't think the taste was that great, they were easier to manage than gels, easier to split up into 2 mile portions, and they contain salt, so I didn't need to take any electrolyte pills. I sweated profusely on this run, as it was on the warm side, and had no cramping during or afterwards (at least not yet). I felt I had very good energy through 18.5 miles., but then I was dragging a bit. I don't really feel like I bonked (my pace didn't drop off), I think it was just that my legs were fatigued. It could be because I have never run this far before (18 miles was my longest previous).