Interesting Article on Strength vs. Cardio (Read 2377 times)

Thanks RM. I suppose there's no substitute for time. I'll keep working with what I'm able to put together. Smile
    Brandon
    evtish

I weight lifted for 20+ years, 3-5 days/wk consistently with aerobic sports mixed in and a pretty active lifestyle. In your 20's, metabolism high, you actually have to tru to gain weight. In 30's, metabolism levels, kind of stay at constant weight. Late 30's, metabolism slows, gained 10 lbs in six months. Started spin 2x/wk plus regular lifting 3x/wk, still couldn't lose the weight doing this for 2-3 yrs. Angry Weight increased to 15-20 lbs above my 20-38yo constant of 168 lbs, got sick of it and decided to take up running in Oct 2007. Have dropped from 187lbs to 165lbs in 3 months Smile I'm actually surprised at how fast I lost weight consider I've been making an effort to do it other ways the past couple years. If you burn 3500 calories more than you take in, you lose a lb., nobody can change that. Running burns way more calories per hour than weightlifting, not even close. So for pure weight loss, running will trump weightlifting every time. For a toned muscular lean body, you need to do both, maybe circuit weight training plus aerobic activity. FYI, all my lunchtime weightlifting friends at the gym have all experienced the slowed metabolism in the late 30's where you just gain 10-20 lbs in a year and can't lose it by doing the same things they've always done...and these guys are at the gym 3-5 days/wk all year round. Aging sucks Tongue
        If you burn 3500 calories more than you take in, you lose a lb., nobody can change that. Running burns way more calories per hour than weightlifting, not even close. So for pure weight loss, running will trump weightlifting every time. For a toned muscular lean body, you need to do both, maybe circuit weight training plus aerobic activity.
        In the long run, weight lifting is actually better for your metabolism and weight loss. When you lift weights, your body continues to burn calories at a higher level for 24-48 hours post-exercise than when you do steady-state aerobic exercise, such as running (this effect is called EPOC = excess postexercise energy consumption). Weight lifting also builds muscle, which also will help a body burn more calories. For every pound of muscle built (which is really hard, btw), the body will burn on average, an additional 50 calories per day just sitting around. For a good reference on how weight lifting can impact metabolism and weight loss I'd highly recommend reading The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler (or the new version specifically for women, depending on your gender). Smile
        ---- Cynthia
          For every pound of muscle built (which is really hard, btw) It’s not necessarily that bad, for a male reasonably suited to muscle gain eating a nutritionally balanced calorie surplus it’s not unreasonable to think he could gain a pound of muscle per week.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Beatin' on the Rock

A sample chapter from the New Rules of Lifting for Women has been published over at Muscle with Attitude: Step Away From the Treadmill
            Wonderful stuff. The idea of running intervals, then a full 5 minute rest, then a nice easy run so as to flood the body with triglycerides to burn is new to me, and intriguing. I also have to agree with posters who've posited that metabolism slows as we age. Now in my later 40's, it's clear my body shape is changing, and I can't get lean like I used to. Adaptations happen quicker maybe? Or, perhaps this old bod has "been there/done that" with about every program out there, so it'll take something entirely crazy to shake things up! Confused
            Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
            invisible

We are monkeys! A chimp is 6 times stronger than the 'average' strong man. A gorilla can throw a man across a street as easily as we can throw a Frisbee across a street. Do what monkeys do. EDIT:...and I know that the two examples aren't classed as monkeys, but as man apes.
              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
              evtish

for a male reasonably suited to muscle gain eating a nutritionally balanced calorie surplus it’s not unreasonable to think he could gain a pound of muscle per week. WOW! 52 lbs of muscle in 1 year. Max possible muscle gain for a high testosterone male is is 1 lb/month. This would require 4-5 day/wk training for at least 1 hr per workout plus supplemental protein drinks to ensure max daily protein intake. Typical gains with regular workouts would be ~5 lbs/year. This assumes no steroids or HGH! Big grin
                evtish

for a male reasonably suited to muscle gain eating a nutritionally balanced calorie surplus it’s not unreasonable to think he could gain a pound of muscle per week.
                  Aha, that's how you do the quote. WOW! 52 lbs of muscle in 1 year. Max possible muscle gain for a high testosterone male is is 1 lb/month. This would require 4-5 day/wk training for at least 1 hr per workout plus supplemental protein drinks to ensure max daily protein intake. Typical gains with regular workouts would be ~5 lbs/year. This assumes no steroids or HGH! Big grin Eric. +1.2!!! What college will you be playing at?
                  UpNorth

Wonderful stuff. The idea of running intervals, then a full 5 minute rest, then a nice easy run so as to flood the body with triglycerides to burn is new to me, and intriguing.
                    This is an old body builders trick. As ridiculous as their workouts are for all other athletes they do certainly know a thing or two about losing weight. Also, FWIW, an easy run after any anaerobic workout would have the same effect. It doesn't have to be just intervals.
                      My mistake, i didn't intend to say per week. Wouldn't that be nice, to get ripped in just a few months. Big grin. College wise I am hoping to either get some form of a scholarship from Regis or walk-on at DU, it will probably depend on this season as I didn't have a great season this past summer and before that I was shooting high 70's low 80's and to get recruited you really have to have a strong resume and have your name out there.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Max possible muscle gain for a high testosterone male is is 1 lb/month. This would require 4-5 day/wk training for at least 1 hr per workout plus supplemental protein drinks to ensure max daily protein intake. Typical gains with regular workouts would be ~5 lbs/year. This assumes no steroids or HGH! Big grin
                        That's true, one wouldn't gain a pound a month just going to the gym doing the occasional half hour casual workout and then going home and eating his diet. However, if you do work out vigorously and eat right/consume sufficient protein, gains near 1lb per month are conceivable.

evtish

In the long run, weight lifting is actually better for your metabolism and weight loss. When you lift weights, your body continues to burn calories at a higher level for 24-48 hours post-exercise than when you do steady-state aerobic exercise, such as running (this effect is called EPOC = excess postexercise energy consumption). Weight lifting also builds muscle, which also will help a body burn more calories. For every pound of muscle built (which is really hard, btw), the body will burn on average, an additional 50 calories per day just sitting around. For a good reference on how weight lifting can impact metabolism and weight loss I'd highly recommend reading The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler (or the new version specifically for women, depending on your gender). Smile
                          I guess it's all about balance just like everything in life. As a longtime weightlifter, I just wanted to convey that pure weightlifting is not very aerobic, that you would have to combine it with a restrictive calorie diet and aerobic activity in order to lose bodyfat, and even then it's tough.