Motorvation (Read 873 times)

freewhirly

Hi, I have just started running again after 10 years. My problem is that I Sometimes lack motorvation. I know that from past experience that if i stop for a while then I find it hard to get going again. Is there anyway that we can mentally train our minds to deal with days when we have lack of motorvation.? I would really appreciate some advice thank you
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, freewhirly. Welcome back to running! There are lots of ways to motivate yourself - you'll probably want to try several and see what works for you. When you're just starting out, one fun way can be to find a workout buddy. Someone who's roughly in the same condition and is interested in getting in shape with you. Spouse, neighbor, coworker, friend... the deal is you have to encourage eachother and hold eachother accountable for whatever you decide to do. You could also try following a program or training guide. There are lots out there. One is buried in this article from Runners World (I reccommend reading the article too!) : http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-184-0-2201-1-2X3X6-4,00.html. Another training program is http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. You may also want to think about what your specific goals are with running. Write them down. And write down WHY they are important to you. Put that list somewhere prominent, and whenever you're tempted to skip a workout, go read your list. It's worked for me. I have to ask myself, which is more important? Sitting here on the couch reading this book today or my goal xxxxx which I said was important because of xxxxx. Finally, realize one missed workout's not the end of your running career. There's a saying in karate: fall down seven times, rise up eight times, and meet with success. Keep trying. And if you fail, try again. And again. And again. Sooner or later you'll make it, and you'll be so glad you didn't give up! Feel free to post here as often as you like! You are welcome here! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think any time we stop doing something it becomes easy to let 1 day turn into 2, 4, 8, etc... My current motivation is getting my butt (and the rest of me) smaller. Once I get there I will want to stay there, so that will likely be my secondary motivator. And after my first 5k race I got the race bug, so I have about a half-dozen races in the coming months that I hope to do--having those gives me reason that I NEED to train. If I don't train I can't run a half-marathon (which is my big goal for the year). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MadandCase

I've been back to running for about a month now and really getting into it. Some things that have worked for me so far are: 1. Mixing in a treadmill run- this allows me to focus on time. (It is a lttle easier, but I have increased the length of my runs and has kept it fresh. 2. Cross training- I am lifting weights to increase my core stregnth utlimatly for better running performance. I also play basketball on Monday nights. It is a great change of pace and is helping my endurance. I found that if I change up the workout routine, it adds some excitement and I look forward to my next run to see if there is improvement. From one new runner to another, best of luck!! Jon
            All good suggestions. In the past, I have also put a map up of the U.S. (could be anywhere, of course) and weekly I would track my progress running from one coast to the other. It was kind of fun to see 'where' I was in my running this way, and helped keep be going. You could break it down into more manageable distances, like running across Death Valley, through the Grand Canyon, from one city to another, etc.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              I think you've received some great suggestions. For me, selecting a few races to run help keep me focused on my running. I plan to run two races in August. Check out some 5 or 10 Ks in your area and sign up. You meet a lot of cool people that way, too.
              freewhirly

Thanks, to all you guys, who have givin me sound advice.I honestly think my morale would be low with out your support. The problem is because I am a new starter, jogging is so hard. I want to be up with you guys.This is not going to happen overnight. Reading my message I hope it helps in reminding yourselves how far you have come. I use to be a regular runner 10 years ago and remember what it was like to be fit.The head remembers but the body says no. At present I can just a bout jog, doing 1mile in 20 mins. Quite frightning how you can be come a couch potato and allow your fitness level to drop. I remember doing a 10k years ago and although i was right a the back of the pack seeing the winners clapping me home was a tremendous feeling. There seems t o be a mutral respect amongst runners no matter what level you are at.Thanks again to all my new found buddies take care.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

You can do it! Convince yourself you'll do it no matter how long it takes, and you'll get there for sure! I know what it's like gasping and wheezing, trying to "run" at a pace most people walk! I think a lot of runners have been in your shoes, some (like me) not so long ago! (And I'm not that much faster even now!) Oh...and join us for our "Virtual" races every month! (Maybe start in Sept or Oct?) Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, to all you guys, who have givin me sound advice.I honestly think my morale would be low with out your support. The problem is because I am a new starter, jogging is so hard. I want to be up with you guys.This is not going to happen overnight. Reading my message I hope it helps in reminding yourselves how far you have come. I use to be a regular runner 10 years ago and remember what it was like to be fit.The head remembers but the body says no. At present I can just a bout jog, doing 1mile in 20 mins. Quite frightning how you can be come a couch potato and allow your fitness level to drop. I remember doing a 10k years ago and although i was right a the back of the pack seeing the winners clapping me home was a tremendous feeling. There seems t o be a mutral respect amongst runners no matter what level you are at.Thanks again to all my new found buddies take care.
                    I know you're gonna get there--your post is not one from someone without the will to make it happen. You may be slow, now, but when I first started running I couldn't go for more than about 3 minutes without needing to walk. Now I am up to almost 1.5 hours non-stop. I'm still no speed-demon, but I get the job done. And I hear ya' on the former fitness thing. Only I didn't do much for about 15 years...so my body was extra shocked when I decided to give running another go (and I had never been a distance runner). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay