Pain at top of knee? (Read 536 times)

Finished!

*sigh* I registered for my "spring" races at the end of the yr and of course, the next run I had I seem to have developed shin splints (rt leg, and more aggrivated on a downhill) as well as a slight pain above my knee(s). The knee pain does not seem to be present before or during a run, though it seems to appear when I go up stairs. Quick googling indicates I may be having issues with quad tendonitis, and need to be stretching both the hamstrings and quads better. The shin splints of course, messed with my gait, and I became aware of a ridiculously sloppy planting of my foot when the pain became more than just "annoying" - I slowed to a walk to try to recover, and also in an attempt to prevent further injury. I found the following article on Shin Splint Exercises and am trying to visualize some of the recommended exercises. Comments, suggestions on both issues welcomed and greatly appreciated. I'm especially annoyed now because I'm monetarily committed to the half marathon in February, and will be sorely disappointed if I need to add more walking than I had originally planned (I was figureing about 1 minute walk per mile)
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How many miles do you have on your shoes? I have found with 2 pairs now that my shins act up when I get around 250 miles and seem to get better when I replace my shoes. Though I'm still too new at this to know if it's merely coincidental...it's definitely something I am keeping an eye on, though. I think the stability features on my shoes may be wearing out at this point and allowing too much pronation (and in HS I never had stability shoes, because we would get a team deal when we all ordered the same shoe and ALWAYS had horrible shin splints). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

less than 200 miles on the shoes! (believe me, I thought of that!) lol I'm wondering if I'm running my easy runs too hard. I don't HRM train, but I do find I'm probably a huffer & puffer esp since a good portion of my training run is uphill (albeit a low grade).
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

less than 200 miles on the shoes! (believe me, I thought of that!) lol I'm wondering if I'm running my easy runs too hard. I don't HRM train, but I do find I'm probably a huffer & puffer esp since a good portion of my training run is uphill (albeit a low grade).
          Ahhh...yeah, those are new. I know I run my easy runs a bit too hard sometimes, but my easy pace is hardly faster than a walk...my "race" pace is a jog for most people. I find it's physically difficult to slow down...things just seem to feel really awkward when I try. Are you doing any sort of cross training? I'm really making an attempt to do a lot of other stuff to work the muscles that get neglected running--hopefully this will help some of my random achey areas that have popped-up. Help make the support muscles stronger and give the running muscles a bit of a rest. I also want some definition in my arms and abs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

that would be a shameful x-nay on the cross training. the DH has been after me to start on the strength training but I really seem to have an aversion to the gym. I should stop being such a baby and go. After all, I thought I had an aversion to running and now look. Wink
            Walk + Jog = wog.