Racing with my daughter - St. Jude Country Music Nashville Half Marathon (Read 63 times)

djr3

Official Results: Finished In: 02:11:16

Of course the stats don't tell the story - This was my 22 year old daughter's first half marathon and I promised way back to run her first one with her. Of course at the time I didn’t know that we would be facing a drenching, hard rain for the whole event…with temperatures in the low 50s… with a nice wind. That’s what I call the trifecta of challenging race conditions. But once we got going and got thoroughly soaked, we did just fine. I felt more sorry for the volunteers, spectators, and our "support crew" that had to endure all of that without the benefit of generating internal heat.

My daughter was awesome. Great pacing and powering through all the endless hills. She posted on Facebook afterwards that she'd remember us running I together forever. It doesn't get any better than that. 

Of course after we stopped running, the cold set in again. I was standing in my hotel room an hour or so later still shivering even after a long ride in a warm car.  But all in all it was a great adventure and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Dan

Hill Slug

Well done to both of you!  It really does sounds like it was a day to remember.Smile

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

She posted on Facebook afterwards that she'd remember us running I together forever. It doesn't get any better than that. 

Awesome.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

My daughter was awesome. Great pacing and powering through all the endless hills. She posted on Facebook afterwards that she'd remember us running I together forever. It doesn't get any better than that. 

by far the best part of your HM.    you got me thinking of my older daughters & almost came to tears.

2 yrs ago my older daughter was a cross country solo trip (camping/hitting several national parks) to meet up with her best friend who moved to Maine.  her trip ended several weeks early because of several reasons & so she came back home.   While she was gone I was planning a solo camping trip on my way to visit my youngest daughter who was in n. calif. at the time.  I had my main plans worked out but I remember oldest very shyly approaching me & asking if she could come.  of course answer was yes.   so we spent 2 weeks hiking/camping at  Lassen National Park & then the same down around Placerville & back up through the Redwoods of N. Calif. (where she was born & l lived 30+ years).  It was very special & will always  be one of the best  times of my life.  ok now I am bringing myself to tears.    and no it doesn't get any better than that!

djr3

Thanks for sharing Skyedog. I definitely teared up when I read what my daughter wrote on Facebook.

How easy it is to forget that time spent together, especially in a joint shared endeavor, is worth so much more than any physical gift or money. Things break, disappear, get used up, but memories can last a lifetime.