Stress fracture recovery: lifting weights? (Read 204 times)

Catleesi; mother of cats

I appear to have a stress fracture in my left tibia Sad I just had the MRI done this morning, haven't been back to the ortho for a follow-up appointment yet, but I am impatient and looked at the pics myself. To my sort-of-trained scientist eye it looks pretty obvious. Black vertical line mid-tibia in the T1-weighted images.

Clearly running is out of the question, I'm planning to do deep water running/swimming for cardio while I recover, but will I be barred from compound lifts that involve the legs until I'm healed (namely squats and deadlifts), or are those generally considered OK? Should I avoid them until my follow-up on Wednesday just to be safe?

I like to run, and when I don't have a hernia I pick things up and put them down.

Buelligan

I'm no doctor, but I have lifted weights before.  I don't think squats and deadlifts would be good with a fractured tibia. 

I'd listen to the professionals in this regard and do what they say.  Surely a PT could offer better advice than idiots on the interwebs.

Old , Ugly and slow

As a long time lifter  i agree with Buelligan

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2014goals   1300  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Catleesi; mother of cats

Le sigh. That's what I figured. Maybe I'll take up a non-active hobby while I heal.

I like to run, and when I don't have a hernia I pick things up and put them down.

Absolutely not! That will wt bear the tibia. Wait for doc's meeting. Good luck!

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!