Chicago Marathon Start Corral Question (Read 851 times)

kevingienapp

I'm signed up for the Chicago Marathon and got assigned to Corral F. I thought that when I signed up, I put down 3:30 as my goal and 1:33:30 as a half marathon time. Looks like I forgot my half marathon time. I didn't think anything of it until after the deadline to move up. Oh well, my fault...

Looking at the Corral details I noticed "avg. time to start" is 31:45. Corral F starts at 8am, does this mean if I start at the very back it will take 31:45 to clear out the corral and I won't cross the starting line until 8:30ish? And does anyone know if it will be possible to run 3:30-3:35 out of Corral F or will there be too much traffic?

Kevin

Marathon: 3:34:58 - Chicago 2013 Half Marathon: 1:14:38 - Sam Costa 2008 10k: 32:57 - 2007 8k: 25:50 - 2003 5k: 15:33 - 2008 2Mile: 9:28 - 2003 Mile: 4:34 - 2003

I talked to someone over the weekend in the same predicament...

I suggested to him that he try to get it switched at the expo. You don't want to start that far back. There's a lot of weaving which wastes energy.

JML

FWIW - I was in Corral C last year and crossed the starting line within 3 minutes of the actual start.  I was able to settle into goal pace immediately and did not have any problems with 'traffic'.  Sadly......this was the highlight of my race.......but that was due to me....not the race organizers.

I think you will be fine as long as you are in a time qualified corral and not in the open area.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

FWIW - I was in Corral C last year and crossed the starting line within 3 minutes of the actual start.  I was able to settle into goal pace immediately and did not have any problems with 'traffic'.  Sadly......this was the highlight of my race.......but that was due to me....not the race organizers.

I think you will be fine as long as you are in a time qualified corral and not in the open area.

big difference between C and F.

JML

big difference between C and F.

True enough......but the race organizers appeared to be very carefully controlling access to the corrals to make sure that people who had not qualified did not sneak in.  Overall I thought that they put on a very good race.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

kevingienapp

Corral F is the first corral of "expected marathon finish times". It says < 3:50:00 so I'm hopeful that will mean the other 3700 people in Corral F will be around 8:00-8:30 pace after the first few miles.

BoilerTom90 - the officials seem to be pretty strict on corral placements, I missed the deadline to change and I don't think you can change at the expo. Sad 

Marathon: 3:34:58 - Chicago 2013 Half Marathon: 1:14:38 - Sam Costa 2008 10k: 32:57 - 2007 8k: 25:50 - 2003 5k: 15:33 - 2008 2Mile: 9:28 - 2003 Mile: 4:34 - 2003

kevingienapp

Looking at the Corral details I noticed "avg. time to start" is 31:45. Corral F starts at 8am, does this mean if I start at the very back it will take 31:45 to clear out the corral and I won't cross the starting line until 8:30ish?

Also, the race officially starts at 7:30 for the elites and corrals A-E so I'm wondering if the 31:45 actually means I'd get to the line around 8:02-05.

True enough......but the race organizers appeared to be very carefully controlling access to the corrals to make sure that people who had not qualified did not sneak in.  Overall I thought that they put on a very good race.

oh, I agree, on all accounts. 

uncontrollable

Never got around to switching my corral - hope someone can help me at the expo!

peace

uncontrollable

Corral F for me unless I fix it...getting in Friday early afternoon.  

peace

LARunner1

Hi guys.  I'm running this year's Chicago Marathon.  Based on a half-marathon performance, I can qualify for Corral B.  I'm thinking about submitting the paperwork, but my brother is also running the race, and he doesn't have a qualifying time for Corral B.  I'd like it to be a game-time decision (whether to start in Corral B or to go back to Corral F where he'll probably be).  On the website, though, it says that "all participants must start in their assigned Start Corral on race day."  Does this really mean that they wouldn't let me into Corral F if I had a Corral B assignment?  And, if I had a B assignment, but started in F, would the chip timing work properly?  Thanks!!!

workinprogress11

I was in Corral J last year and crossed the start at 8:09am.  I believe Corral F was the first 8am corral.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi guys.  I'm running this year's Chicago Marathon.

Heh, for an instant my brain said, She's the RD for the Chicago Marathon??

Sorry, I have nothing worthwhile to post here.